Country
    Singapore

DIY refill for nutrafin CO2 canister

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Anyone tried doing the diy refill? If have how could be the best mix proportion of yeast, bicarbonate sode, sugar and water that could last the longest?

Commercial refill is just too expensive.. hehe..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I use the following:

1) Sugar (up to the level indicated inside the Nutrafin container),
    2) Half a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda (those used for baking - can get at NTUC),
    3) Maybe a quarter or less teaspoon of bakers' yeast (can get at NTUC too - usually can find together with Bicarbonate of Soda and baking powder),
    4) Boiled water (cooled) up to the mark indicated in the container.

I always use boiled water as a last rinse for the container and the cover, after flushing out the used alcoholic stuff left in the container with tap water.

Tried using tap water to rinse and fill up once, but no CO2 were produced.

Using the formula above, you should start getting some CO2 produced in 10 to 12 hrs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bng,

The chlorine from the freshwater will kill the bacteria yeast.
    Using aged water is fine.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bng,

How long would your mixture last? currently I am using 1.5L cola bottle and it last me around 2 weeks. I just got the used nutrafin system which initially I just wanted the flipper but I thought since I have the canister, why not make use of it(since its rather a nice construction and can be hang beside the tank). I just want to know the best mix for longest possible CO2 production in a nutrafin canister.

By the way, I do not need very high CO2... maybe 1bps would be enough...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Using the formula I stated, it can last me about a month - the amount of CO2 produced goes from slow to fast and then back to slow. I don't use a bubble counter for the DIY and I didn't use the ladder, I just push it thru a inlet on my powerhead of the Juwel tank's internal filter and let the bubbles mix into the outlet flow of the impeller. I felt that the slight vaccum produced by the outflow on the CO2 line helps to draw out the CO2 from the bottle.

One more thing on the setup of the ingredients of the DIY I forgot to mention. I stir the mixture with a spoon after adding everything. I make sure that some of the sugar is disolved and all the bicarbonate of soda and yeast are well-mixed in.

If you are looking for constant CO2, should consider a CO2 tank. I am using both on my 300L tank.
    Last edited by bossteck; 10th May 2008 at 22:35. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

I've been using the nurafin container for my DIY CO2, for my 200L tank to complement Seachem Excel. It lasts me only about 1 week plus.The container is nice to look and use, but after trying, felt that its too small. Think a 1.5L bottle will last longer. Still experimenting on the best proportion

My reciepe as follows:

3/4 teaspoon baker's yeast
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate
    1 cup sugar
    water filled to the mark indicated on the nurafin marker
    Been using normal tapwater (maybe thats why the yeast dies faster?)

On my first try I added to much yeast, about 1 whole teaspoon I think, with boiled lukewarm water. To my horror I came back from work to find my tank milky! Did a 30% water change and then had to rush off for an appointment....weird thing was, when I left the tank was still milky, and returned home, the tank became clear again.

Anyone can explain why?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you used too much yeast and the frothing liquid went into your tank. I don't think its too much of a problem for a 200L tank and the filter to handle. For a small tank, then it would be a problem.

I experimented with the amount of yeast used and came to the formula of a quarter teaspoon or less. If I put more in, it gets depleted fast. Try using lesser yeast and see if it lasts longer than a week. And also aged water. The CO2 produced is slower, but lasts longer.
    Last edited by bossteck; 10th May 2008 at 22:36. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, will give it a try ! I tried less yeast once, and nothing came out at all, thats why I used more yeast instead. Didn't occur to me that chlorine will kill the yeast haha.

Thanks bng !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    the more the yeast the more the co2, the faster you have to change the mixture

for me i change once every 2 weeks
    avg 1 bubble in 3 seconds