Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp graveyard...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was just wondering if any of you have similar experiences...

My malayan shrimp are dying... slowly but surely... now what is curious is that I'm losing probably 1 shrimp every 2-3 days. Now that in itself is not too strange... whats really strange is that they always die in the same place?

Really! I spend some time everyday watching my fish and plants, making sure they behave ok, and that the plants are ok... and every other day I spot 1 (yes only 1) dead shrimp in the exact same place... so now the plot thickens... why?!?!?!

As for fish, I have glass catfish, cardinals, and tiny 1 inch gouramis. The glass cats are innocent as this has been happening before I introduced them. and I don't think cardinals and my tiny gouramis could be preying on them.

So anyone got any smart ideas? Or have my shrimp just decided that thats their ancestral burial site...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    allen, could it be just a coincidence that they ended up in the same spot? maybe its due to the water circulation? how many so far?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the natives are offering a ritual sacrifice to appease the god of storms (water change) and the daily harvest of food (blood worms etc)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 9:55:37 AM

the natives are offering a ritual sacrifice to appease the god of storms (water change) and the daily harvest of food (blood worms etc)

----------------

[] [] [] !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 9:55:37 AM

----------------
    Eeee... so the question is how does this God of Storms tell them that I'd rather they eat the algae to appease me rather than kill themselves... cuz that gives me the extra problem of me sending my "angels" to go down and net them out... after all it wouldn't be right to let such a sacrifice rot.

So far about 8-10 shrimps have died over the last 3 weeks
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't worry about rotting, you know how we whack all the chickens and roast pigs after the "offering" [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

allen I think got 3 possibilities:
    1) it's a place the not so healthy shrimps go to die, as in some secluded corner or some open area where they are comfortable, kind of like how sick fishes tend to cower in the same corner of your tank.
    2) after they die, water currents eventually bring them there
    3) after they die, other shrimps or fishes drag them there to feed on.

hhmm either all those or, one of your family members have been playing a prank on you by waking up very eary in the morning and putting the dead shrimp there!

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 2:05:11 PM

1) it's a place the not so healthy shrimps go to die, as in some secluded corner or some open area where they are comfortable, kind of like how sick fishes tend to cower in the same corner of your tank.

hhmm either all those or, one of your family members have been playing a prank on you by waking up very eary in the morning and putting the dead shrimp there!
    ----------------

uuggghh this is too graphic, I think I'm gonna throw up....[]

eggz

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 2:05:11 PM

----------------

I've had similar experiences when my tank was new. My bet is on 2. Also, Make sure the temperature of the tank does not soar above 27-28 Deg Cel.
    -----------------------------
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 4:57:45 PM

I've had similar experiences when my tank was new. My bet is on 2. Also, Make sure the temperature of the tank does not soar above 27-28 Deg Cel.

----------------
    but malayan is known to be more adaptive to our climate since they r found in SEasia, I have malayan living at temp above 30degree

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do you notice malayans jumping out?
    if they are, water conditions are to blame

what gourami are they?

eggz: wah lau, then how you watch hollywood movies? nowadays all super gory one....

and when I read the shrimps being able to tahan hot temp cuz SEAsian, donno why envisioned shrimps wearing singlets.....[:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen, what's your water parameters? Do the tests and share the result - it might just prove useful to all of us, if we can pinpoint the culprit. and describe "this" corner of your tank to us - just in case there's like a piece of rock that's releasing some kind of toxins that affects your shrimps? Are Malayans the only shrimps you're keeping?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 12:49:00 AM

do you notice malayans jumping out?
    if they are, water conditions are to blame

what gourami are they?
    ----------------
    No malayans jumping out... then again my tank is covered... no way to jump. but I don't think thats the case... if its water, then I would expect more dying, and not always in the same spot.

The gouramis are a sp breed I think... Bought them in petmart for $12 for 10. They are really tiny and measure about less than an inch from mouth to tip of their tail... Body coloration is pale peachy color with reddish orange on their fins/tail.

Actually now I'm starting to suspect my cardinals... I just noticed last night that when the lights go off, my cardinal... all 90+ of them go charging into my hygrophilla difformis for safety. Thats the bushiest plant in my tank atm... Now it so happens that thats the place I usually find my dead shrimp. Mebbe after they go chionging in they see that 1 lone shrimp, and the rest is history.... still I'm just guessing.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    never trust glass catfish or gouramis in your tank. I've bad experience with rams too. I saw ram and glass catfish attack my shrimps before but never managed to eat them up. However, the damage has already been done to the shrimps, so some died after attack. From then onwards, I prayed all my rams and glass catfish quickly die cos I have no heart to keep them which they did. But I did not do it on purpose to kill them.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The shrimps are vulnerable when they moult. I believe this is the time where they are attacked and killed.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When the shrimps moult the body become relatively very soft and tusk an easy prey for even shrimps to prey on them. It takes a lot of cover and a few days for them to have a harder shell that is hard enough to prevent themselves as food.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 10:18:44 AM

....I prayed all my rams and glass catfish quickly die cos I have no heart to keep them which they did. But I did not do it on purpose to kill them.
    ----------------
    Give them away lah. I'm sure there will be many who will be more than happy to receive them.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?