Images
    Country
    Singapore

Rescaping 6ft

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all the planted experts and guru out there.

I'm planning to rescape my 6ft and plan not to use big plants like ehinodorus family plants such as E.grandifolus,E.marble queen etc. I'm planning to have a tank which uses some mid to high light demanding plants. I need more comments on what kind of plants which are suitable to be use.

Here are the specs:
    tank size : 180 x 60 x 75
    Filter : 2229+2026
    CO2 injection 2b/s + ex.reactor.
    Lighting 2 x 150watts MH.
    Base fert 30bags JBL
    gravel 6 bags lone star.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    do you want a high maintenance or low? Any habitat themes? I guess it's for the apistos right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The last theme was just jungle style using ehinodorus and cover the tank upside down and inside out...now i want' some life in my tank , not so dead as before. Something which people will go wow when they sees it.. high or low maintenance doesn't matter as long its nice.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, most plants would be suitable. Sit down and plan out the layout you want to achieve and then select the plants that you can use to achieve the effect you want. Use, colour, shape, leaf size, texture, etc to create contrast and complements.

Plan a focus then layout everything else to bring out the focus. A focus can be a rock, driftwood, a plant (or a group of a single plant) even a gap or hole in the layout.

Instead of selecting a plant to use, sometimes you can work backwards. Decide what shaped plant you want in an area then select a specific plant later. E.g. you can decide to have tall grass-like plant in the bacground first, then decide if you want to use vals, blyxa auberti, etc.

Avoid the trap of wanting too many plants. With a large tank, instead of trying to fill it with as many different plants as you can, 'paint big' instead. Meaning, use the space to create large groups of certain plants. It's ok to mix similar plants to create a cohesive group (e.g. mixing green and red tiger lotus or mixing different crypts).

With large deep tanks, there are more areas that are shaded, so there are excellent areas for playing with some low-light plants.

You might want to shop around for driftwood if you intend to use them as the shape of the one that catches your eye will affect the layout.

Plants with large leaves and taller plants are good choices. Do not neglect finer leaf or smaller plants to create contrast and detail.

I like Lotuses (or lotus-like) for a large tank. The red and green tigers are good choices. Nuphur japonica. A large stand of these plants can form part of a good and fuss-free midground.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bene, try a hairgrass/boulder biotope? like that in the AquaJournal. Can use java fern and big crypts to break the monotony. Use South-east Asian fishes, a few bigger rasbora and schools of small rasboras?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    whole tank planting hairgrass am i counting on BBA? []
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bennytay....you asking for advice on rescaping yout tank.......i'm surprised[]
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Bene: I got lots of spare plants from redoing my own tank, let me know if you want! and heh heh heh.... going to keep lots of other fishes besides apistos in the tank due to peer pressure???? To evade the "got fish meh?quot; thing? I can spare some cardinals if you want![]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess all this have to hold on till i decide on an issue. will update.
    Cheers!

Benetay