Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dosing Liquid Ferts...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was just wondering about the use of liquid ferts in our tank, and was wondering how you guys normally administer your liquid ferts.

For me, I typically add my TMG each week in a single dose at each water change... i.e. for my 300L tank, I dose with 30ml TMG each week, and also at Dennerle A1, and KNO3 daily.

Basically I was thinking that it would probably be even more beneficial to my plants if I were to add my TMG on a daily basis as well... say 5ml a day? In the least it should help my fight against algae?

Does anyone have any differing opinions? I'm just thinking aloud, and would like to hear how people dose, and also whether my current trend of thought is flawed.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 9:42:24 AM

Basically I was thinking that it would probably be even more beneficial to my plants if I were to add my TMG on a daily basis as well... say 5ml a day? In the least it should help my fight against algae?

----------------
    Sounds quite logical. Except that sometimes can forget. Sometime I forget to put A1 and other times, double dosage (in the morning and evening) because I can't remember if I've already added it.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [] that applies to me too...[]
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 10:52:00 AM

Sounds quite logical. Except that sometimes can forget. Sometime I forget to put A1 and other times, double dosage (in the morning and evening) because I can't remember if I've already added it.
    ----------------
    Try using a pillbox, you know those with MON, TUE, WED .... labelled on it. [] []
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [/quote]

----------------
    [/quote]

One interesting thing crosses my mind about missed dosing. Let say if we missed dosing on Mon, do you folks give double on Tues? What do you do if you have to be away for a week? Do we give the plants one week ration before?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jacian, if forget 2 fill the pillbox? []
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1 suggestion. Instead of your weekly TMG regime, split them into 2 or 3 per week, not daily. In this way, one get to supply the iron and other sensitive traces in a fresher way. Another point instead of splitting them evenly, add say (20ml & 10ml) or (20ml, 5ml & 5ml) because after water change the fresh water need those trace elements to be replenished.

According to many more experienced hobbists, it seems like you do not add enough potassium. As I know TMG contain 0.79% K and 0.07 Fe. Therefore, if you keep your Fe at say 0.2 mg/l, then the K will be only 2 mg/l. As just learnt from our gurus on this site that K should be kept at 20-30 mg/l. I used to use Seachem potassium for this but now I turn to K2SO4 for economical reason.

Have fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If your tank is fairly stable and the plants healthy, the plants should be ok without fert for a week.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 11:11:39 AM

Jacian, if forget 2 fill the pillbox? []
    ----------------
    Use safety cap

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 11:13:28 AM
    According to many more experienced hobbists, it seems like you do not add enough potassium. As I know TMG contain 0.79% K and 0.07 Fe. Therefore, if you keep your Fe at say 0.2 mg/l, then the K will be only 2 mg/l. As just learnt from our gurus on this site that K should be kept at 20-30 mg/l. I used to use Seachem potassium for this but now I turn to K2SO4 for economical reason.
    ----------------
    Actually thats one reason I'm supplementing with KNO3 (as mentioned initially).. one of the nice parts is that my tank is completely devoid of K and N... or rather I should say that the plants consume them completely... I'm supplementing roughly 15ppm NO3, 10ppm K each week.

Speaking of which, whats the concentration of flourish potassium?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Hi Allen,

I've been thinking about my fert dosing as well. In your case it seems you're dosing TMG mainly for Fe and K since your trace elements come would come from daily A1. Unless there's some other trace elements in TMG that's not covered by A1?

At the moment, I trying this:

E15 and S7 adjusted down dosage twice a week (water change and midweek)
    Seachem Flourish Trace daily (sort of a cheaper A1)
    K2SO4 once a week for 20-25ppm (at water change)
    Adjusting fish feeding to get N and P []

Any comments?

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've been thinking about my fert dosing as well. In your case it seems you're dosing TMG mainly for Fe and K since your trace elements come would come from daily A1. Unless there's some other trace elements in TMG that's not covered by A1?

err no... TMG is quite complete... I'm dosing A1 cuz I suspect my plant uptake is quite high... and A1 seems to be more controlled in dosing. I'm considering switching to Dr Mallicks Grolux Aqua for the high K, but have not found the time to go down.

At the moment, I trying this:

E15 and S7 adjusted down dosage twice a week (water change and midweek)

actually I don't think E15 is that complete... I believe it should work in conjection with V30 best. As for S7 I've never really considered it a fert though it claims to have trace elements. I used to use E15 one week, and V30 the next. Which worked great. Just that it cost $$$$ .

Seachem Flourish Trace daily (sort of a cheaper A1)

no experience with this... oh and to be honest, I don't dose A1 daily... heheh more like when "I feel like it" [] [] so much for the scientific method.

K2SO4 once a week for 20-25ppm (at water change)

my only gripe with K2SO4 is a worry at what high levels of sulphate does to your tank? I'm not sure, and so far would rather it not be there.

Adjusting fish feeding to get N and P []

True... the natural way is best... I've been increasing my fishload... but still no N... first 50 cardinals... then 10 more gourami... then 50 more cardinals, now 10 more glass cats... still nothing!... I got 10 more congo tetras in Q'teen now waiting to go in
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I started with weekly dosage with Sera Florena and Tetra Red but have splitted the dosage to 3 times a week. Most of my plants looks healthy and bubbling under the leaves since then (except some plants that I still trying to find the root cause of not growing). However, I'm still seeing algae grow (mainly BGA)on slow growing plants.

my 2 cents

Feedback Score
    Hi Allen,

I was hoping that I won't have to get V30 to complement the E15. Is there a cheaper alternative to V30 I can use to complement the E15?

BTW, where do you buy your TMG?

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    at the moment you can't get TMG in singapore as there is no distributor... What I have is a remainder from the big 5L bottle I bought about a year+ ago. Perhaps you can consider Dr Mallick's lushgrow aqua? Or maybe seachem flourish?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    previously, I used TMG alone and my plants was do great, but since the disappearance of tropica from SG... its like I never got used to other brands.. presently using seachem florish, E15, plant gold 7 and some other PMDD... hoping to get my hands on some TMG too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    muhahahaha I sell u all... haha earn a nice profit...[] [] [] can give new meaning to the term "daylight robbery"
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    really, i think Dr. Mallick's LushGrow Aqua (now in 180 ml bottle) is equivalent and much cheaper than TMG. its composition (g/litre) is as follows:
    N - 7.179
    K - 51.711
    S - 16.667
    Mg - 2.942
    Fe as EDTA - 1.683
    Manganese - 0.612
    Boron - 0.314
    Zinc - 0.092
    Copper - 0.025
    Mo - 0.016

I conservatively dose 1 drop per 30 ml (cos i also add KSO4) and plant growth has been optimum.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    marc, how do u know yr plants is growing at its optimum rate?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just dug up my bottle of TMG and the composition is

(p/p%) - Actually not sure how this translates in terms of g/L but heres whats written

K 0.79%
    Mg 0.39%
    S 1.01% (which is surprising)
    B 0.004%
    Cu 0.006%
    Fe 0.007%
    Mn 0.04%
    Mo 0.002%
    Zn 0.002%

Off hand the only the biggest downside of Dr Mallicks Lushgro aqua is that it has N... This is fine if you are lacking in N, but otherwise, you'll be pumping up your N levels needlessly.
    Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast