Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Java Fern or Mini Java Fern?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought this 3 years ago as a single piece of Java fern which consisted of 5 large leaves, now when i say large leaves they were about 6-7 inches in length. Plant was very healthy and grew well for the first 2-3 months. Then i decided to break off the smaller 'baby' plants and attatch them to the wood too. So i broke off the 'bab'y plants that grew along the leaves of the existing plant. This main plant just kept on producing young plantlets on a weekly basis, so after getting tired of managing it i binned it. Possibly a decision i will live to regret.

Its not two years on from that and i have an 'abundance', there are alot hah, of plants which i've attatched to wood in my tank. The leaves on these plants have never reached half the size of the 'mother' plant and have always stayed small. Whereas the mother plant produced plants and increased in size it never actually fully took hold of the wood nor spread along it as you would expect. The baby plants which i have now attatched to the wood have begun to spread (as picture below illustrates), but the leaves remain small, about 3-4 inch max, the only difference is that they spread along the wood, never producing new plantlets on the leaves.

My issue is that i now do not know what plant i actually have. Further more i do not know what i am doing wrong that will not allow this plant to flourish. Although it looks healthy-ish and all other plants are growing fine.

On this image you can clearly see its spread from right to the left and currently a new leaf if growing on the far left. This is the unhealthiest of the 10 pieces i have attatched at various points along the wood in my tank, it just shows the plant spreading the best.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    It looks a little like microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'.
    Maybe you could take a better picture of the leaves?

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Righto, shall go get a few better pics of the leaves.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Three images of my Java Fern, hoping you can see the leaves better on these ones. Really hard to get a decent pic due to its location and the air stone disrupting the view and often stealing the focus

Thats the best pics i could get at this moment in time. Hope they are sufficient.
    Verminator