Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Plants melting because of ADA setup?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plants melting because of ADA setup?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I paid someone to plant my tank last week but he was telling me that I have to cycle the tank first for a few days before planting otherwise the plants will melt due to the low PH from the ADA soil. I was unable to do so due to work commitments so the tank was setup on the day itself.

My setup is a 3ft 180 liter juwel tank with a Eheim 2028 canister with a handfull of coral chips in addition with the Biohome media. Lighting consists of 2pcs 39watts T5 6700K Hagen Glo lamps one on the front edge and one on the back and a pink tube FL tube in the center.
    The substrate consist of 1 bag of Powersand special M, the full range of base substrate from ADA incluting bacter 100, Turmaline BC, Clear super, Penac P and W
    I used 1 bag of Amazonia normal type first to fill up space and 2 bags of Amazonia powder type to do the actual top layer.
    My CO2 is running at 3 bubbles per second and the liquid ferts are from seachem and following their dosing charts. The PH is around 6 to 6.5.

The various plants after 1 week have started to melt and the moss looks like it has algae starting to form on it.
    The plants didn't look in impressive condition to begin with but I don't want to complain unless of course I did nothing wrong to cause the problem.
    The problem is I don't want him to just claim 'I told you so' unless it is warranted otherwise I will demand he replant it with better condition plants.

Any advice from fellow forumers on what I should do?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    who said that? i planted all my crypts on the first day of my new ada soil and none melted till now which is already more than aweek.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i don't think the ada soil/setup is directly causing your problems.

it may be that you used emmersed plants and they are converting to submersed form, hence the melting.

As for the hair algae, it could be formed due to the poor health of your plants. Because the plants are not growing, they are not able to outcompete the algae. that, added to the fact that ada soil releases loads of ammonia in the first few weeks after planting creates quite a conducive environment for the algae to grow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, I really don't think ADA substrate caused the melting. You might wish to refer to my thread. I planted on the very day I added the soil. http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...933#post338933

Like what illumnae said, it might be that your plants were previously grown emerse, and they are now adapting to being submerse. What are the plants in your tank? Can you list them?

As for algae, try changing water 50% twice a week for the first two weeks. And then, subsequently 50% once a week or less, depending on your setup and fertiliser dosage.

From what I know, powersand special already has Bacter 100 and Clear Super added. Thus, you shouldn't have spent the money buying those seperately.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, you could have ask us instead of paying some one.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi sithspawn,

i totally agree with illumnae, i don't think its the substrate. most likely its due to the plant condition. i did mine and planted on the very day (anyway its my first planted tank) and i gathered quite a lot of info from helpful bros here.

you can take a look at my tank at the following url. i've posted the picture from day1 till week 5. i'm using the exact same thing as you. all ADA substrates.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=39659

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Reduce the amount of light and fertilizer dosage since your set-up is new. Start off with maybe 4hrs per day then gradually increase, maybe every week. Since your plants are melting, the excess fertilizer plus strong lights help in the growth of algae. Get some fast growing plants like frogbits to help u. They can take in the excess ammonia and fertilizers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Forgot to mention I have a chiller running at 24 Deg C.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Well, you could have ask us instead of paying some one.
    Original the cost was for a 6ft tank at a super low price but I had to cancel because the 6ft tank had a crack on the brace. I fully paid for the setup cost etc and the person tied all my moss on small pieces of driftwood as well as my 3ft centerpiece wood and kept it in a chilled tank till I was supposed to get the tank planted. I asked him to plant my 3 footer instead and got an Eheim 2026 to conmpensate for overpaying. I can say that he's been very patient and very fair since I delayed for more than 6 months because I was so busy. Then I had some personal matters to deal with and when time came to plant the 6 ft tank, disaster struck and had to delay for another few months. Cost-wise it was not high at all. I will not mention anything about the person or the products he brings in cause you would know who it is and it's not fair to him. But he deals with other products and not ADA anymore.