Images
    Country
    Singapore

UV Lights, Dr.M's K2SO4 , Fertiliser and Trace Element and

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After reading the intense postings of treads related to PMDD and Dr Mallick's stuff, I finally took the plunge this week by buying K2SO4, Aqua and Micros. Let's hope my tank will not turn into an algae garden

I have UV-light install at the Outlet of my filter.

Questions I have here is with this UV-light switch on for 4hrs after dark, will the K2SO4, Fertiliser and the Trace Element I have dosed in the day be destroyed?

Instead of dosing once-a-wk or once-to-twice-a-month like the instruction says, I am diving the dosage into per day volume and do it every morning. Does that sounds OK (to my plants, of course)?

Also, I learnt from this forum to dose about 20ppm of K2SO4 per week. When I change 30-40% of water at end of week-cycle, how do I know how much of K2SO4 remains in my tank? If I continue with the regular dosage of x-teaspoon per week, will my tank one day become so concentrated of K2SO4 that nothing will swim in it anymore?

Another thing, one part of the instruction on a handout I got from the Dr. Mallick's shop is rather contracting..

I quote 'Add 1-5 drops of this solution for every Ten Litres of water.... NEVER ADD MORE THAN FIVE DROPS AT A TIME....If your aquarium is big, then add 10ml or Two Caps Full Per 100 Litres of Water...'

2 Caps full is obviously more than 5 drops right? So am I supposed to drop 4-Caps-worth slowly (for 200L tank)? So how many days will it takes? []

Thanks for your feedback.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    After reading the intense postings of treads related to PMDD and Dr Mallick's stuff, I finally took the plunge this week by buying K2SO4, Aqua and Micros. Let's hope my tank will not turn into an algae garden

Just be careful when using the micros solution as that is high iron

I have UV-light install at the Outlet of my filter.

Questions I have here is with this UV-light switch on for 4hrs after dark, will the K2SO4, Fertiliser and the Trace Element I have dosed in the day be destroyed?

I've never really used one, but doing so is supposed to oxidise your Fe and make it unavailable to your plants... it could also break down whatever chelating elements are used to bind the nutrients... but once again this is conjecture

Instead of dosing once-a-wk or once-to-twice-a-month like the instruction says, I am diving the dosage into per day volume and do it every morning. Does that sounds OK (to my plants, of course)?

no problem, in fact it could be better because less nutrients will be left in the water for algae

Also, I learnt from this forum to dose about 20ppm of K2SO4 per week. When I change 30-40% of water at end of week-cycle, how do I know how much of K2SO4 remains in my tank? If I continue with the regular dosage of x-teaspoon per week, will my tank one day become so concentrated of K2SO4 that nothing will swim in it anymore?

again not a problem... assuming you do weekly water changes, your levels of K and S should reach a stable level and not climb any higher... you can do the maths...

Another thing, one part of the instruction on a handout I got from the Dr. Mallick's shop is rather contracting..

I quote 'Add 1-5 drops of this solution for every Ten Litres of water.... NEVER ADD MORE THAN FIVE DROPS AT A TIME....If your aquarium is big, then add 10ml or Two Caps Full Per 100 Litres of Water...'

2 Caps full is obviously more than 5 drops right? So am I supposed to drop 4-Caps-worth slowly (for 200L tank)? So how many days will it takes? []

I think what Dr M mean is that never at more than 5 drops/10 L at a time... The later instruction is for people with large tanks... imagine you have a 200L tank, its much easier to does 4 caps than to count 100 drops.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not too sure about this, but Trace or Aqua already has K inside. Check the ingredients and calculate how much K is going before you add K2SO4.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear nicky,

I learnt about PMDD about a year ago but I have not tried it. In my view, I guess the reasons why some people did not have success with PMDD for 3 possible reasons:
    1) the chelated minerals are obtain from a source which is normally for human consumption. It may contain other substances that plants do not need and may be even disadvantages to them. Possible ingredients include lubricants, preservatives, colouring and taste suppressing chemicals.
    2) the users may overdose with PMDD as they think that few drops are too negligible to be sufficient. If you have Seachem Flourish Fe (1% Fe), add 1ml to a tall mug (about 500ml) and try smelling it. One could literally smell the iron.
    3) when using the PMDD, one did not compliment it with K.
    I beleive the later 2 reasons are the more likely reasons for the failure.

"Questions I have here is with this UV-light switch on for 4hrs after dark, will the K2SO4, Fertiliser and the Trace Element I have dosed in the day be destroyed?quot;

Allow me to suggest this: if you do not have green water or bacteria boom and you just want to
    a) steralise the water, do this:
    -after water change, add only KH buffer and turn on the UV and let it run overnight.
    -on the next day, turn off the UV for good and dose the necessary ferts.
    -repeat UV treatment during next water change.
    b) minimise newly introduce fish from contaminating the water, then you have 2 choices:
    -introduce the new fish after water change, follow by point a)
    -introduce it at your auspicious day (kidding) and turn on UV for at least 24 hrs. Add fert the next day.

"Also, I learnt from this forum to dose about 20ppm of K2SO4 per week. When I change 30-40% of water at end of week-cycle, how do I know how much of K2SO4 remains in my tank? If I continue with the regular dosage of x-teaspoon per week, will my tank one day become so concentrated of K2SO4 that nothing will swim in it anymore?quot;

Good question. That is the ART of Fert Administration (AFA). If you do not have the test kits, no problem. Follow closely.

For K2SO4:
    -add 6g per 100 litre of water changed. That would give you about 27 mg/l K+ for that new water.
    -what about the old water? Do not bother, with each water change, you would increase the K+ g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y which is good.
    -now the logic: assume no uptake of K+ at all by the plants, you would end up close to 27 mg/l K+ after many months/years. The water column will never exceed the 27 mg/l level.
    -in real life: the plant will consume pretty much per week and after a few months of your K+ regime, you would likely to end up having between 20-27mg/l, just in line with the targetted 20-30 mg/l K+. Your SO4 will also be kept well below 33mg/l or S at below 10mg/l.
    -Simple and without risk.

For Mallick's LushgroAqua:
    -if you start fresh with it and add 10ml per 100L of water change every week, you will be on the right track (together with K+ addition).
    -this will give you 0.17mg/l Fe and about 5mg/l K+ for the new water.
    -the logic: Fe is the bench mark in any comprehensive fert mix. Just get the Fe level right (above 0.1 mg/l), you will be fine.
    -having said that, if your water change is fornightly, then you may need up to 15ml per 100L of water change. Or if you have greedy plants, increase accordingly. However, split the dosage to avoid feeding algae and dose before light on.

$1 for this.

Have fun.