Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Kanuma Soil (鹿沼土)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The below is a short introduction of Kanuma soil (鹿沼土) I copied from this website:
    "Imported Kanuma soil for Azalea and acid loving Bonsai. Kanuma is the "local" soil in the main azalea growing area of Japan. It is mined the same as Akadama and is used mostly for acid loving plants. Kanuma facilitates fine hair root growth. It retains moisture and can absorb more water than it's weight and yet allows for air space. It's PH varies from 4.5 to 5. Both Akadama and Kanuma simplify the repotting chores since roots are fibrous rather than hard."

I got to know this type of soil from surfing blogs created by other cryptocoryne collectors. It is mainly used for Bonsai too I think. These are some photographs of the kanuma soil I bought from Japan:

The packaging and the soil.

A close-up of the soil in the packet.

The soil after it is wetted.

Found out that the soil is actually less dense than water and floats so it has to be mixed with other potting media.

Thats all for now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, a quick update. I soaked the pot of soil in water for one afternoon and this is how it looked like when I just came home:

It looks like the soil particles are porous with air pockets inside which resulted in the whole soil floated up just now. After soaking, the water has replaced the air inside the soil particles and most of the soil particles now sink down instead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read it on taiwan's fishkeeping forum that they also used akadama/kanuma soil as the substrate for apsito keeping. It is very much cheaper in china/taiwan with pH lower property. I had been searching for it in the local flora/nursery but none was available.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It has been a week since I placed the pot of kanuma soil in the bucket of water. I tested the pH of the water in the bucket today:

Disappointing!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Kanuma Soil (鹿沼土)

I am not sure about the kanuma soil but I've personally tried akadama soil. It gives me a ph about 6.5. The only problem I had about it is that it's grain are a little too big to hold delicate plants such as HC or glosso.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi everyone,

I often see lots of short forms in this forum. For someone new to this hobby, I find it difficult to understand what these mean. Going thru the website I have now understand WC as water change OHF is over head filter. But what is HC and Glosso.

Can we have a list prepared so that newbies understand while more experienced seniors can go on typing shortforms.... Anyone agree ?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathia View Post
    Hi everyone,

I often see lots of short forms in this forum. For someone new to this hobby, I find it difficult to understand what these mean. Going thru the website I have now understand WC as water change OHF is over head filter. But what is HC and Glosso.

Can we have a list prepared so that newbies understand while more experienced seniors can go on typing shortforms.... Anyone agree ?
    Hehe, that means you have not read enough. Just do a search will give you your answer.

Send from my GT-P1000 (Overcome 7 Series v4.0.0)
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

HC means hemianthus callictrichoides and glosso is glossotigma elatinoides.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by daniel19831123 View Post
    I am not sure about the kanuma soil but I've personally tried akadama soil. It gives me a ph about 6.5. The only problem I had about it is that it's grain are a little too big to hold delicate plants such as HC or glosso.
    hi, can share where you got the akadama soil? I've been looking for it for a very long time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Old thread, but looking at the pictures, they look suspiciously like perlite, which is pH neutral.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Old thread, but looking at the pictures, they look suspiciously like perlite, which is pH neutral.
    They are not like perlite. Their texture is quite similar to aquatic plant soil like ADA soil.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Indeed they are not perlite. I was commenting on the look.

ADA soil is basically bits of gravel coated with some type of mud-like material, probably clay.

http://www.maibanbonsai.com/akadamaandkanumasoils.aspx

On this site they are labeled as a type of pumice, and hence will float. I don't know why you would use it in an aquarium setting, because eventually these lightweight material will float upwards.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Indeed they are not perlite. I was commenting on the look.

I don't know why you would use it in an aquarium setting, because eventually these lightweight material will float upwards.
    To be honest, they don't look and feel like perlite. Perlite is white, this thing, together with akadama, is light sandy brown.

I have used perlite, akadama and kanuma before. Akadama and kanuma break down after a while. Perlite doesn't.

And kanuma and akadama can sink in the water. Maybe kanuma needs to be soaked, but in my experience, they sink instantly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They sink when they absorb the water, given how porous they are. illumbomb's photos don't show them sinking very well, though I must say, I never used such material for fish tanks before, even in a Cryptocoryne tank. My eyes may be playing tricks on me, though when they are dry in the bag, they look more white then when immersed in water. This is why I said they looked like perlite.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think they can be bought in Singapore, not sure whether there are any on line store where they can be ordered and delivered to Singapore. I bought mine when I went to Japan for holiday and carried them back in my luggage.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I didn't get them in Singapore. I got them when I was living in the UK. Still can't find them locally.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you can't find them locally then perhaps ordering them online via Rakuten would be a safe bet:
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chigusa/item/370312/

There are other options available, though I believe the 18 liter bag will cost too much on shipping alone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Intesresting, so what benefits does this provide over ADA? I have been interested in trying new substrates for emersed growth lately.