Country
    Singapore

Co2 non-stop

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello bro & sis,

Can i run my Co2 system for 24hrs non-stop & 8hrs of light? Will it causes any harm to my plants or water paremeter?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    having co2 24/7 only results in wastage. Just remember to have aeration via air pump at night to prevent fishes from gasping due to lack of oxygen.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advise torque6. Currently my solenoid not functioning very well for one week will get another one asap!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Season View Post
    Hello bro & sis,

Can i run my Co2 system for 24hrs non-stop & 8hrs of light? Will it causes any harm to my plants or water paremeter?

Thanks!
    I run my CO2 24/7 as I don't have a solenoid and it is fine too. Just remember to set the bubble rate low. Mine is like 1 bubble per second or two. As always - monitor if the fish are stressed if you are doing it first time.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Basically just remember that photosynthesis happens in reverse at night.

Daytime: C02 in --> 02 out

Nighttime: 02 in --> C02 out

So obviously having C02 on 24/7 will increae C02 levels at night, which potentially can suffocate your fish. The higher the quantity of fish, the more beneficial (almost necessary) it will be to have an airstone working in your tank.

To be safe, i have my airstone on 24/7 and my C02 injection on for about 10 hours each day. Running at a random setting to be frank.

Hope this helps.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It'll be a waste of CO2. Plants only take in CO2 during photosynthesis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Opps... never realised that... for my case, setting up DIY CO2, so didn't bother to turn off the CO2 at night, just left it on... So far so good, think my flora & fauna are doing fine... (keeping my fingers crossed lah...)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think you can 'turn off' your DIY yeast/sugar mixture
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    But however, coming back to Juggler on having co2 on 24/7. With this method, you can be sure that co2 levels are peak when the lights come on thus ensuring optimum growth.

I am running a gex HOF which allows an aeration airtube running 24/7, so it doesnt affect surface agitation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler View Post
    I run my CO2 24/7 as I don't have a solenoid and it is fine too. Just remember to set the bubble rate low. Mine is like 1 bubble per second or two. As always - monitor if the fish are stressed if you are doing it first time.
    Hi juggler,

Mine is about 4-5 bubble per second for my 2ft tank. Unfortunately, i had already kill two of my sakura shrimp, but my endlers are very healthy.

Just got my new solenoid today.

Thank you very much to advise & share with me.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    Basically just remember that photosynthesis happens in reverse at night.

Daytime: C02 in --> 02 out

Nighttime: 02 in --> C02 out

So obviously having C02 on 24/7 will increae C02 levels at night, which potentially can suffocate your fish. The higher the quantity of fish, the more beneficial (almost necessary) it will be to have an airstone working in your tank.

To be safe, i have my airstone on 24/7 and my C02 injection on for about 10 hours each day. Running at a random setting to be frank.

Hope this helps.
    Hi verminator,

Currently i'm doing the reverse way, my lighting & CO2 start at 7pm. Will this affect the plants in my tank? I notice my downoi start melting after 2 week!

Please enligthen me.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaculture View Post
    It'll be a waste of CO2. Plants only take in CO2 during photosynthesis.
    Hi Aquaculture,

I agree with what you say! I'm wasting too much of my CO2 due to my faulty solenoid, you have any ideal where can i refill my 5L CO2 tank at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Opps... never realised that... for my case, setting up DIY CO2, so didn't bother to turn off the CO2 at night, just left it on... So far so good, think my flora & fauna are doing fine... (keeping my fingers crossed lah...)
    Hi,

I had try this DIY CO2 for many years back... it's very hard to get very consistance CO2 injected into the tank. I always have to take alots of cosiderations if i needs to add on more fishes or plants into the tank.

If budget allows, maybe you would like to invest a set of CO2. Don't have to keep you fingers crossed liao...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 6th Jul 2008 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    As a general rule try using your C02 when you turn lights on. And stop using it maybe an hour or two before lights off, depending on how long you have your lights on for. I fill up my canister with enough C02 to last a day when the lights come on at 10AM, this usually runs out at about 9pm that night, and i repeat the process every day. My lights are ON from 10am-3pm, OFF between 3 and 5pm, then ON again 5 till 10pm.

Theres no point putting your fish at risk during twilight hours by injecting C02, it does nothing for the plants at this time and only makes the 02 levels in your tank lower every minute its running. I'd switch it to daylight injection - certainly!
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Season View Post
    Hi Aquaculture,

I agree with what you say! I'm wasting too much of my CO2 due to my faulty solenoid, you have any ideal where can i refill my 5L CO2 tank at a reasonable price?

Thanks!
    Glad that I'm able to offer some advise.

Most lfs that sells CO2 cylinders would offer you services ot refill it too. The price of refilling is about the same across the island. The only diff is the duration that is taken to return the canister back to you. Lfs like Bioplast would do it immediately and you'll be able to being it home on the same day. Whereas if you're using the silver & black ones sold by NA, Mr Chan allows 1 to 1 exchange. Though most lfs have the practise of collecting the empty cylinder from you and returning it to you in about 3 days to a week.