Country
    Singapore

Chiller Better?????

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Presently started my new 30+gallon tank
    it's a discus planted tank with some tetra.......
    see attached picture.......

The question here is that the water temperature is around 30 degrees with fan on. Might be due to enclosed cabinet(already hve opening with another fan sucking air out of top of cabinet)

Thinking of getting a Artica Mini 1/15 hp to cool the tank down......
    All chiller expert here, do feel free and kind to comment wether it's recommended to do so?

Thanks
    Last edited by elseamarine; 25th Jan 2010 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Weather is quite hot this couple of months from may. Even my tank which had maintain a temp of around 26 degrees with 9cm fan is hovering now at close to 28-29 degrees in the afternoon. Water evaporation is crazy as well.

I dont own a chiller, but you could look towards brands such as hailea or resun as cheap alternative to the artica. But if you have available cash, its a good choice too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought discuss like warm water as well, like 28-30?

With fan, yea, lot of evaporation. Chiller, very little. But at the expense of your hall becoming hot. We are sacrificing for the plants

Cheers, Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chiller will be good for your plants, however discus don't like cold waters. Optimum temperature for plants is 25~27 degrees. Optimum temperature for discus is 28~30 degrees. If you were to have a chiller, don't set the temperature below 28 degrees. The discus will get stressed up in cold temps.

Artica chillers are very expensive. If you have the money, it will be the best choice. Resun & Hailea are china made brands, & cost half compared to artica.

Also to note, chillers are not to be enclosed in a cabinet. It needs ventilation, or the life of the chiller will be cut short.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks members/bros for all your valuable replies

I've use a reef relieve chiller before for my previous 3x2x2 planted and marine tank/you all are right the heat from the exhaust is very warm.

Still curious to know wether Artica mini(for those bros who use it) wether it's noisy or warm?

Hope to get your kind replies and feedback,Thanks a lot........

Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RHX View Post
    Chiller will be good for your plants, however discus don't like cold waters. Optimum temperature for plants is 25~27 degrees. Optimum temperature for discus is 28~30 degrees. If you were to have a chiller, don't set the temperature below 28 degrees. The discus will get stressed up in cold temps.

Artica chillers are very expensive. If you have the money, it will be the best choice. Resun & Hailea are china made brands, & cost half compared to artica.

Also to note, chillers are not to be enclosed in a cabinet. It needs ventilation, or the life of the chiller will be cut short.

Good to know that chiller is not to be enclosed. Btw, the china brand which is value for money?