Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can't restart filter-help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    yesterday, i disconnected my ViaAqua 650 canister filter to wash it. After washing, I followed normal steps we need to prime the filter. but then, for some unknown reason, the water in the outlet hose is not forceful enough to reach the tank top and be pumped out. I can hear soft noises from the impeller though. Having tried repeatedly and risk flooding my living room each time, i m really exhausted by now.

Can anyone tell me what is the problem? i m leaving for my vacation tomorrow...what bad luck.. i really need some urgent help...thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    gee... that urgent. i'll see if i can help, before the pros come in... i'm also not familiar with your filter model...

if your filter is not self-priming:

far as i know, we'll normally (manually) prime the filter by sucking from the outlet. if there's no water in your tubes, then your canister should also be 'waterless' before you suck the water. one hard suck from the outlet, then the water should start flowing from the inlet, fill up the canister and then come out of the outlet.

that's about all i can input. sorry, cos i've converted all my canisters to self-priming. [:]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Hi, the most surefire way to prime your filter, (if it doesn't have a priming mechanism like eheim's ecco, is this:

get your inlet and outlet tube filled with water first. make sure filter valves are all closed at first. connect only inlet tube to fiilter. so now you have the filter with inlet tube connected, and inlet valve closed, with water inside the tubes. next close up cannister, open inlet valve. water will be sucked from tank into cannister due to gravity while air in the cannister will be released thru outlet. when water rushes out of outlet (means most of the air is gone), close outlet valve. next connect the outlet tube (with water inside already) to the outlet valve. next switch on your filter. then open the outlet valve. tah dah!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not familiar with that particular filter, but it sounds like your filter is still not properly primed... Check your inlet valve, I suspect you will find that there is some air bubble caught inside... alternatively, open up the filter again, and top up more water inside.

Even with the Eheim pro 2 series, I've had instances when the priming mechanism just wasn't sufficient to kick start the filter.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    allen, with my eheim proII, i always have to fill up the canister until it overflows when i close the cover. then sometimes even have to prime a little to get the stubborn water to come out of the outlet. []
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    agree... generally when my priming doesn't work, I open the filter, add more water and try again[]
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Once my filter refused to prime because the inlet and outlet pipes were choked with debris.

1. Check and flush out the pipes/valves if necessary.
    2. Make sure all your pipes are not kinked. Straigthen out any coils to avoid trapped air bubbles while priming.
    3. Place the filter lower if possible before priming. You can put it back in it's normal place once the filter is working.
    4. Make sure both inlet and especially the outlet pipes are free of water before priming. Enough water trapped in a coil can hamper the priming process.

One tell-tale sign of blockage in the pipe is that the water level in the outlet pipe is not the same as that in the tank when the filter stops filling up.

Lastly, where do you live roughly? Maybe one of the forumers might be kind enough to drop by for a housecall.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you guys are really helpful...thanks everyone.
    i managed to "prime" the filter somehow...after straightening the hoses and further lowering the height of my canister. I am glad that now the main problem has been solved and i can leave for my trip peacefully.

But then, there is still one problem...the filter is still very noisy. Does that indicate more trapped air in the filter or... something is wrong with the inside components? anyone pls.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You have to describe the noise you hear...

Could be air. To dislodge air, I think what some forumers do is to give the filter a good shake.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello, don't mind me hijacking this thread, but i get the same noise too when i restart my filter. whenever i prime my 2026 i can hear water gushing in so i guess it's primed and ready to go. but when i turn on the filter i hear a crackling noise then it disappears. is there anything wrong with the impeller? or perhaps just trapped air?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    StormHawk,

You're not supposed to start the filter until the water completely fills up the filter.