Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a planted tank in bedroom?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Keeping a planted tank in bedroom?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    does anyone have a planted tank in bedroom here?
    I wonder if the plant would survive at night time with the air-con on
    and as for the shrimp too..
    Will we need a heater in there?
    Im planning to get a 10gal tank, but I am not sure If I should install a
    heater in there... Im afraid the temp will not be a steady one..
    What do you think guys?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a low tech planted tank in my bedroom, bt I did not turn on my aircon, but I do not forsee a problem as polyart are using chiller for their planted tank as well.
    Last edited by StanChung; 28th Jul 2008 at 22:14. Reason: immediate quotes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    used to had a less than 1ft nano tank in bedroom. At night when i on the aircon, tank temp can drop to as low as 23-24. Nothing seems to go wrong, but i'm keeping cherry shrimps. I am not sure if it is the same to other shrimps. However, the change in temperature should not be that drastic that it will kill them. As the water temperature will drop and rise gradually when aircon is on or off.

If you install a heater there, you'll need to coordinate it properly, if your aircon stops, your heater MuSt stop too. Otherwise, your shrimps will be cooked. so not a very good idea ..rather risky though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a 1ft planted tank with CRS in my bedroom and the plants and CRS are happy with it so far. My CRS have given birth to CRS babies too. I on my air con almost everyday.

The temperate is around 26-27 without air con and with air con is about 23-24

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Philippines
    I have my shrimp tank inside our bedroom,temp goes down to 21 - 22 when the aircon is ON and 25 -26 when turned OFF.I have fissidens,barclaya,and utricularia inside my tank.I also have some CRS inside and they're all doing very well.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi davescube, I think it all depends on the type of flora & fauna that you intend to keep in the tank that you place in your room with air-con on at night...

Certain plants like mosses & certain shrimps (like CRSs) do enjoy the lower temp to grow well & breed in fact... However, I think the main concern will be the ability for the tank to achieve a stable (without wide fluctuation or huge range of temperature difference) temp environment on an average day... Unless you intend to get a chiller & a heater & 'program' it in a way to address this issue, if not I guess it should be quite ok...

Maybe for a start, read up on the floras & faunas that you'd like to keep & the temp range that they are suitable... Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

There wouldn't be much problem to have planted tank in the bedroom with air con turn on at night.

All my planted tanks are sleeping with me every night.

Temperature fluctuation will not be too much of a problem as the temperature is lowered gradually and not suddenly.

During the day, my tank temperature can go up to 27 degree celsius, while at night it will go down to 21 degree celsius.

All my plants and fish are doing well. Even my emperor tetra breed often.

In river stream, the temperature also go down quite a lot at night. Hence in other word, it is more natural than keeping a constant temperature.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the respond all..
    There is one issue that I would like to know,
    Lets say that my air-con temp is to be set on 16Celcius, will my aquarium achieve the same temp?? or will it be a higher one?
    I have no experience on using heater, but of course it will be the best if i do not need to use it...
    The only thing that i know is when the bedroom gets hotter than the set temp of the heater, water temp will continue to rise ..
    I agree with Thirteen, it is risky though...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How low your temperature in the tank drops depends on how long your a/c is on. Water loses and gains heat slower than air, so my bedroom tank's temp can hit 26 after 6 hours of my a/c being on at about 22 degs.
    ~Kristen~

Fish enthusiast is a nice euphemism for manic geekery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Im not sure if you are into fengshui, believe "water point" cant be placed in bedroom.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by davescube View Post
    Thanks for the respond all..
    There is one issue that I would like to know,
    Lets say that my air-con temp is to be set on 16Celcius, will my aquarium achieve the same temp?? or will it be a higher one?
    I have no experience on using heater, but of course it will be the best if i do not need to use it...
    The only thing that i know is when the bedroom gets hotter than the set temp of the heater, water temp will continue to rise ..
    I agree with Thirteen, it is risky though...
    The water temperature will be lower than your room temperature if you on the air-con long enough.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Usually i turn all 3 fans off on all my tanks in the bedroom when i turn on the air conditioning. At a temp set of about 22deg,i woke up to find my tank temperature at about 19deg? Thankfully my fishes are used to it and this is the only way i constantly get my corydoras to spawn! If not,take special care if you do have fans running,your fauna may not take to well to the drastic drop of temperature.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am intending to keep shrimp in there..
    I wonder If shrimp could tolerate with the constant changing temp..

Should I try to mantain the temp to be a lower one?
    In this case, I wont be getting heater but fans..
    I will on the fans when the air-con is off and I switch off the fans when the air-con is on..

is this a good idea??

If I was to use heater, I am afraid that the temp range is too big..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    There isnt a need to get a heater for shrimps tank, the last time i bought a heater is more of a lich treatment. Stick with fans during the day and off them at night as you have air condition on. Even though i have airconditioning in the house, ive hardly use it even on very hot days, maybe 1 month around 15 hours at 25 degrees. How low do you set your themostat to ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

I have fish tank in my bedroom, there is no problem when I turn on aircon in night time and off in day time. No need heater for fauna, singapore it's hot enough and my cherry like cold water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Closing the gap between daily temperature fluctuation is not a bad idea... go for it! Between fan and heater, I will go with fan... comparing a 5W fan with a 150W heater

But at such low temperature, say 19ºC to 22ºC, beneficial bacteria activities will be reduced slightly. Plants will grow slightly slower in colder water but it will not affect your tank since the water will only become colder at night.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have had a 1 ft planted tank in my bedroom before. I installed a heater set the thermostat to activate at 25 degrees celcius. Depending on the size of your tank, a single heater for a 1 ft tank is more than sufficient. If it's more than 2 ft, you may have to install 2 heaters at each end of the tank to have a consistant temperature throughout (it also depends on where your filter outlet is). Anyhow, most heaters active with a light indication. It's really quite nice to watch a tank in the midst of a dark room with just a dim light in it. Btw being Asians, Feng Shui has it that an aquarium in the room will ensue that your partner will be infedile. Unless you're single... if you want your partner to remain YOUR partner, you may re-consider placing the tank in your room bro.
    Next project: Converting my 3ft freshwater fish planted tank into a shrimp tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    just wondering, how do you guys ensure no mosquito breeding in your tank if theres no fish in the tank??
    I'm still a noob, so was hoping to learn how to ensure no mosquito breeding without fishes.
    Last edited by SanRec; 19th Jul 2008 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by sriwonc View Post
    Good question..
    It is moving water. Mosquito don't breed in moving water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    I find it surprising that you need to worry about the temperatures going as "low" as the lower twenties.

I keep planted tanks, some heated, some unheated, and in winter some go well below 9 deg My white clouds spawn in this range

Guess it depends on the plants though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast