Thread: Plant ID

Feedback Score
    Images

Plant ID

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys... anyone can help me to ID this plant?
    Just brought 2 pots from C328 without knowing it's characteristics first
    Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TTS; 24th Aug 2009 at 11:29.
    The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hygrophilla difformis. Should be a relatively easy plant to grow.
    BTW, the plant behind it is not aquatic.

ck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    i think it is Hygrophilla difformis as well.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Just to confirm a none related topic within the thread.

CK Yeo is indeed correct on both parts. The plant behind is indeed none aquatic and i'm afraid to say that slowly, very slowly it'll drown. I had exactly the same plant as you and bought it willingly believing it was an aquatic plant. But as i said, it'll slowly drown. If you want it to live i'd take it out and grow it emersed. Sorry
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    interestingly on the subject of non-aquatic plants sold as aquatic plants. I was at a local plant farm some years back and remarked to the owner that one of the plants he was packing (and of course they planted them emersed) not an aquatic plant. his reply was that he is well aware of it but for some strange reasons overseas LFS insist on placing orders for them so he simply obliges!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Also interestingly i am from the UK and my LFS do often sell them, even now after i have told them of my experience they continue to sell them. This would further more prove your own experience with my own.

I know of many other shops in my area that too stock apparently non aquatics willingly.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OT: Well, the reason is simple. In less than ideal conditions (i.e. most LFS conditions, non-aquatics might actually last longer in the tank than real ones. I have friends who insist on them for the same reasons and thinks it is too troublesome/costly to invest in CO2, lights etc and then have to worry about algae.

Many many many years ago, most local LFS here refuse to bring in aquatic plants because they do not have the conditions to keep them alive long enough to sell them (besides prices were much higher). To think that Java fern was actually rare in LFS then .

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Hi guys... many thanks for the identification.

Actually, the plants shown in the picture does not belong to me... I just crop a portion of it from another guys picture to show the plant in question.

Sometime it's very difficult for newbie like me to differentiate between aquatic and non-aquatic floras... so it really a trial and error experience

Anyway... glad to know that this plant is not-too-diffiicult to keep... but still I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank again!
    The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by CK Yeo View Post
    OT: Well, the reason is simple. In less than ideal conditions (i.e. most LFS conditions, non-aquatics might actually last longer in the tank than real ones. I have friends who insist on them for the same reasons and thinks it is too troublesome/costly to invest in CO2, lights etc and then have to worry about algae.
    But do the non-aquatic plants actually uptake nutrients from the substrate or water column in the tank, like how aquatic plants do? Since they aren't aquatic, I am assuming they would not be able to convert to aquatic form at all. If so, then NH4, NO2 and NO3 buildup may be an issue in such a setup.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Either way they just drowned in mine slowly, very slowly. So i'm assuming they didnt adapt.
    Verminator