Images
    Country
    Singapore

User Review: Hydor Prime 10

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After a nice discussion with some helpful folks in another thread, I bought myself a Hydor Prime 10 for my 1ft cube (the eden 501 just doesn't cut it!). As Hydor is one of the lesser used brands around, I thought I'd just contribute a short personal review of the item as I put it to use.

Initial impressions

I haven't put the item to use yet as my media is still cycling and also because I need to find suitable inlet/outlets for the filter (described further below), so this post shall be confined to my initial impressions upon opening the box and doing a cursory inspection of the item. I'll post more when I set up the filter and when I've put it to use.

My first impression of the filter is that it's very solidly made. The clear plastic is thick and robust. I've owned eheims before, and my impression whenever I hold an eheim and/or bring it to the backyard to maintain it, I get the distinct feeling that If I were to drop it with the media inside, it would shatter. I get no such feeling with the Hydor. The plastic feels like it could survive a 4ft drop with media inside.

The filter cover also locks well and the clasps holding the cover to the body doesn't look like it'd break. There's less moving parts than the Eheim Pro2 series clasps so it'd less likely to detach itself.

There's a media basket provided, which is both a blessing and a bane. the blessing is of course convenience for maintenance, since the entire basket can be pulled out. However, the basket doesn't sit as snugly against the edge of the canister as eheim baskets do. As such, there may be bypass during filtration, which means it won't be as efficient.

Another gripe I have is the autoprime system. The Hydor uses a similar autoprime system to the Eden 501, in that there's a screw cap on the top of the canister where you pour water in till it's full before closing it and switching the canister on. This makes it only slightly more convenient than the eheim classics and much less convenient that the eheim pros. After all, it's not much difference filling the canister before switching it on and pouring water into a hole in the cover. Furthermore, the cap isn't that easy to screw back on and Ben at Wu Hu told me that it breaks easily so I need to take care when screwing it on. I was hoping for a button/lever like the eheim pros/eccos, fluvals, tetras and other filters with autoprime have, but it didn't deliver.

My biggest gripe has to be the inflexible inlet and outlets. Hydor seems to have gotten into their head that the Prime 10 can only be used for certain tank sizes and their inlet/outlet are customized to fit that tank size. Positions cannot be changed, the inlets and outlets cannot be lengthened or shortened and even DIY sawing isn't possible. Basically, If you have too big or too small a tank than what the folks at Hydor envisioned, you have to go find your own inlet and outlet. I bought this filter to avoid the ugly green of eheims, but I may end up having to use eheim inlets and outlets anyway because of this flaw in design. What's the point of throwing in features like a surface skimmer when it can only be used in a predetermined tank size?

Conclusion

This is by no means a perfect filter. It has it's good points and bad points both. The good points definitely leave a good impression while most of the bad points can be ignored. The one single flaw that I must complain about is the dismal inlet/outlet that Hydor shortsightedly provided.

All in all, it's value for money as far as initial impressions go. I can buy a Prime 10 and throw in green eheim pipings for lower cost than an Eheim 2211 off the shelf. The benefit of this would be quick disconnects and a very slightly more convenient priming system (pouring into a hole instead of filling then covering). If I throw in the cost of quick disconnects with an Eheim 2211, I can buy a set of knockoff lily pipes with the filter and have some spare change leftover. The downside, of course, is that Hydor does not have the pedigree than Eheim has.

Only time will tell whether or not the extra features are worth the sacrifice of pedigree.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Great review! I am using the same filter for my small tanks for about 10yrs. My only complain is the motor head (The thing at the top, whatever you call it) is difficult to take apart after a while. Nevertheless, it has not broken down once except that I used a bit too much force and broke one of the plastic taps.

ck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually I find Eden 501 working well for my 1.5ft tank. Only thing is to attach a sponge filter at the inlet. I'm using those two sponge type which will not clog easily. Maybe will change the filter media to all Biohome and it will become a good biological filter...

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm the opposite, found eden 501 not enough for my 1.5ft tank, bought 2213 and it too powerful . Thinking to buy hydor Prime 10 or 2211.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    good summary about the hydor prime 10
    i agree very much with your comment that the good points are good, while the bad points largely can be ignored except for the inlet/outlet pipes

i am actually fine with the autoprime on the hydor since my habit is to fill my canisters to the brim before switching on so as long as it works and the filter starts and runs along nicely i am happy enough

as for the inlet/outlet pipes, i get around that by using lily pipes as mentioned before
    not a big issue for me either since i prefer using lily pipes rather than conventional inlet/outlets anyway
    mainly for the minimalistic look in my tanks actually

pedigree-wise, i think its safe to say that hydor is not as well-known, famous or popular as eheim.
    longevity-wise, i can't comment since i have not had the 10+ years usage experience on the hydor as some other have had with their eheims
    but my usage experience with it so far is that it has never failed me or given me any problems

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did consider lily pipes, but the ANS 13mm inlet was also 30cm long (ie too long for my tank). Not sure how long the other red box type is though. that really limits my inlet/outlet options

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can install the inlet little bit up, floating. I did that before, though I still prefered surface skimmer than lily pipe inlet.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe it will be great if some DIY experts here can come up with a way to Modify the inlet tube at an attractive price...

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    I did consider lily pipes, but the ANS 13mm inlet was also 30cm long (ie too long for my tank). Not sure how long the other red box type is though. that really limits my inlet/outlet options
    red box? i guess you mean the 10mm ones?
    they will fit - lengthwise not very long. maybe around 15-20 cm for the inlet
    i used to own a set but sold away couple months back
    but you will need step-down converters to transit from the 12/16mm hoses to the 10mm pipes though

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's a 13mm red box one too, same brand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes the red box do come with different sizes
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's Part 2 of the review:

Setting Up

After my rather positive initial review, I must say that I am sorely disappointed. The Hydor Prime 10 is a total pain to set up. I'm here after 30 minutes of attempting to get the thing to work, and I've had to revert to the Eden 501 (which, incidentally, works right away when I plug it in).

The instruction booklet is rather sparse, and from what I gather, I just need to ensure that the red line at the inlet is below the water and the water level mark at the outlet is also below the water, fill the canister with water and plug it in. Simple? Very simple. Except that it doesn't work.

I've tried unplugging and replugging, lowering the inlet till it hits the soil, disconnecting the hoses, filling THOSE up as well and reconnecting them. All to no avail. There isn't even suction at the inlet as I see a stray bit of moss not being sucked towards the inlet. All I get is an annoying rattling sound from the impeller even though the filter has been filled to overflowing and the water not moving at all.

Very sorely disappointed. Looks like I've wasted a good $69 on this filter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Take out the outlet, put it in bucket make sure you place the bucket below the water level. Let the water running free for a while, also shake the canister a bit to let all the trap air out.

Work all the time, at least for my canister filter . I never trust those auto priming thingy.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so i need to place a bucket below my table and let the filter run for awhile in the bucket? Or prime it with a bucket first before sealing the taps and transferring it to the tank? This is an office tank so space is quite limited.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I do not use the autoprime inlet anymore, but I vaguely remember that it will prime when you fill it enough. I fill via the inlet/outlet instead and it works as well. Give it a shake, maybe it will help the air lock.

ck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I filled the inlet/outlet hoses and I filled the canister itself till the water was overflowing. Water just wasn't moving. Maybe the filter just needs to be placed below the tank and not beside it. Got conned by Ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have used it beside the tank before. But it was a 2 feet tank.

ck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm...that's strange,the auto priming feature rocks in my case.
    Just fill filter to the max,screw in lock and start!Don't even have to fill in pipes?
    Take it from me...ignore all misc bucket,fill pipes etc?
    Before you sell it off(which i just happen to come across ad on the marketplace) give it another try.Move it 1st below the table to kick start the filter THEN shift it up to see if it works. If all else fails...can always drop by my place when you're free and i'll give you a convincing demo!Living in the west also so more then happy to meet you up for coffee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquanatix View Post
    Move it 1st below the table to kick start the filter THEN shift it up to see if it works.
    I believe the tank and the canister are both placed on the work desk. It will be very difficult to move the tank to the floor, kick start it, replace the hose with shorter ones...

I shouldn't mention brandname here... but I have 2 similar size canisters (of other brand) running next to my 1ft tanks with no kick-start issue. Just plug and play And they don't even claim AUTO PRIME

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The filter has been filled to the max, water coming out of the priming hole when I screw the cap in, yet all I get is the rattling sound.

I'll try again over lunch, and hopefully it works. However, this has marred my experience somewhat
    Last edited by illumnae; 22nd Jul 2008 at 11:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast