Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

OSRAM Biolux Tubes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've been searching the web recently for all sorts of lighting solution for aquaria, and saw these mentioned in some APD archives... Its a full spectrum FL tube with a CRI of 97... which is great. As a tri phosphor tube, its light output is low at 2300lm for a 4ft tube(compared to like 3000+ for normal tri-phosphors), but it is recommended for use with animals, fish, and plants... I've also managed to find a pic of the spectrum which I'll stick below.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried this?
    Allen

I'm using Osram Floura, recommended by them for indoor plants and aquariums.
    Not too sure how it compares to the Biolux.
    Also can't give a comparison with daylight tubes as I'm using 3 Osram daylight tubes and 3 Osram Floura for my tank.

Haven't tried the other brands or 6 daylight tubes yet. But should be due for light change in Feb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lower lumens means it's not as bright as higher lumens, as far as the naked eye is concerned, right?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes Vinz thats right... however what we really should look out for (and is never given is the Photosythetic Active Radiation (PAR). This is a specific measure of how good a light is for photosynthesis. What is more obvious is that the wavelengths at which PAR is considered almost completely bypasses the green 400-500nm and 600-700nm.

On this issue, I came across 2 more tubes from NEC today in my local NTUC (wouldn't you know it?)... they were selling the NEC Biolux tube (non-triphosphor) at $11 bucks. This guy is even worse having a total luminous flux of 960lm!! crazy... The spectrum is below

They also have a tri-phosphor version which seems similar to the Osram biolux, but I think the osram looks better spec wise.... Heres the spectrum for the tri-phosphor NEC biolux

Heheh anyway I itchy fingers bought 2 of the tubes from NTUC...now worried the intensity too low....
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the results are good, they'll make pretty good lights for planted arowana tanks. Supposedly, bright lights darkens the arowana and thus reduce the colour development.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hehehe just found the local distributor for the tubes... tubes are about twice the cost of HEBT, and they make deliveries!! Talk about mega cool... ordered 4 tubes to complement the 2 I bought... Now I just have to wait a couple of months before installing them... My HEBT only 2 months old... very lugi if change now.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I can never know how to read these spectrum chart. What we look for when looking at the spectrum?

What about Bioplast BioSun?

My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jacian,

I'm not 100% sure either... I'm sort of learning as I go. However, what I generally look for is a nice high red peak with good spread... and a smaller blue peak also with good spread. If you look at the chart I posted for the NEC biolux tubes, there are 2 interesting bits of info.

The first chart actually shows chloryphyll absorbtion according to the light spectrum (in dotted lines)... In other words, the spectrum which plants use. The second chart shows the wavelengths of light used for photosythetic activity... So basically you want a tube which has good spectrum (i.e. high magnitude) and wide bandwidth.

In terms of spectrum I don't like the bioplast tube that much as it has a huge spike in the blue region and 2 small ones in the green and red. The plus point is that the CRI is 95. Not sure how bright it is as I couldn't find the light output level.

Adding on to this, one reason why most tri-phosphors are suitable for planted tanks is because they tend to have 3 balanced spikes in the red, blue and green regions. This gives good color rendition typically 80+ and good brightness due to the high green. Good PAR due to high red and blue... though its been conjectured that algae uses blues more effectively, so I prefer to have a lower blue (if available).
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Adding the spectrum for Hitachi EBT-N and EBT-D tubes below... sort of like a compilation.

Heres the spectrum for Dennerle tubes

Dennerle 3085

Dennerle 4085

Dennerle 5085

Dennerle 6085

Dennerle 8085

Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Spectrum for Osram-Sylvania's Gro-Lux

Arcadia's Original Tropical Lamp (supposedly optimum for plant growth - note the plant optimum spectrum curve added)

Arcadia's Freshwater Lamp

Allen

Maybe I should think 2x about switching to daylight tubes...If these biolux work, I might get all my tubes switched to biolux...heheh

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are these tubes FLs or PLs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    FL tubes... Thats actually the biggest advantage of FLs i.e. the wide range of spectrums available... Speaking of which, while I was searching yesterday, I came across a 1000W setup which consist of a 400W MH bulb in combination with a 600W high pressure sodium bulb... looks like thats the way the plant industry is moving. They use the MH for its broad spectrum and good color rendition, and the high pressure sodium to add intensity in the red spectrum... I won't be surprised if we start seeing some of these move into the aquarium industry
    Allen