Country
    Singapore

Betta care basics

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 2 bettas in my office now.

Before this, I had one betta that died. I don't know what was the reason but I know that it had rotten fin before. I give the medication and it was well again but then died one month later.

For betta, I change 50% of the water at least 2 times a week. I always add a little salt + betta solution every change.

This is followed by feeding after the change.

Is there something that I'm missing?

Now one of my betta look listless, the other isn't as agressive now...

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    For starters do you have two male betta's in the same tank? If so, uh-oh thats trouble. (they fight to the death if you didnt know) I assume you do.

Salt in a betta's tank? I wasnt aware they are brackish.

Fish need a stable environment, so doing two 50% water changes a week isnt exactly what i'd call stable, i do 25% once a week.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's actually one betta in one small square tank.

No more than 5L for each tank.

Salt is just a little bit only. Unless you tell me that it affects them!

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Well i can't understand why you add salt in the first place. Brackish and marine fish have salt in yes. I wasnt aware Betta's were, so i don't know. I can't imagine its exactly a healthy thing for them to be honest. Maybe someone else can fill me in there lol.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    Well i can't understand why you add salt in the first place. Brackish and marine fish have salt in yes. I wasnt aware Betta's were, so i don't know. I can't imagine its exactly a healthy thing for them to be honest. Maybe someone else can fill me in there lol.
    i second that. betta dont need salt. but can add some katapat leaves to soften the water
    My HighLand Terrarium, planting carnivorous plants and orchids

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So what are the main principles to keeping Bettas?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Soft water (Try Ketapang leaves or Atison's Black water) and cool water temp should be fine. Adding salt isnt really necessary unless they are ill IMO.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A little salt should be fine, it supposedly helps gill function, and also acts as a preventive with respect to certain diseases. But only in small amounts.
    Apistogramma agassizii, Ap. cf. iniridae, A. mendezi "Yellow-gold", wild A. sp. "Wilhelmi"

Feedback Score
    Other than Ketapang Leaves.. You can use Dried Banana Leaves.. Keep them there for about 2-3days. Better take them out fast before they turn all slimy on the surface!

Another factor which i think must be taken into consideration is the Temperature, does it get really cold in the office? If so, i`d really not suggest you keep Bettas in the office mate.

Perhaps you may want to add in Kuan Yin Teck Bamboo to absorb all the nitrites/nitrate that the Betta produces from the waste. It helps to maintain the water parameters too

Other people add in Money Plant as well.. But i think the roots are abit pokey and may accidentally tear my Betta's fins especially if its the Long Fin type.. I used to keep Plakat.. and never used Money Plant.. Scared lah :P

Just curious whats your bettas diet? and Oh ya! Remember to let them flare once in awhile
    Last edited by Quixotic; 13th Aug 2008 at 01:10. Reason: SMS lingo: 'u', 'ur'
    Thanks & Regards,
    Trevor

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Was told they usually do better at higher temperature.
    Air-conditioning in your office could be the culprit.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Betta also prefer subdued lighting and little water flow, so if your filter is too strong, they can get stressed.

There is no need for salt on a permanent basis as they are freshwater fishes. However, salt can be used when they are sick, to fight disease. Here is an interesting read on salt usage, http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=335

And lastly, Trevor, your useful contributions are noted, but could we ask of you to refrain from using SMS abbreviations? They are really really awfully difficult to read, more so for our foreign members. Appreciate your kind co-operation.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to share my few weeks experience with betta.

I am using aged water and a small piece of katepang leave in a small plastic container with not filtration or aeration. Water change is weekly of about 70%. Feeding with dry food and occasional frozen blood worm. So far they are happy and healthy.

Have even managed to breed them..

Hope this help..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Which kind of betta splendens are you keeping? Plakat (short-fin) or Half-moon/Veil Tail (long-fin)? The latter is particularly sensitive to water conditions, especially chlorine and ammonia/nitrites, thus requiring frequent water changes. They are normally kept in isolation and without the need for a filter as they don't like turbulent water. And since there's no filter, frequent dechlorinated water changes are required: I recommend once a week 50% for plakats and 20% for long-finned versions. This is provided you take the trouble to siphon out any leftover food and waste. And by the way, substrate is not needed as this makes water changes difficult.

Generally they don't thrive in air-conditioned environment and there's no need for any salt at all unless they are ill. Ketapang leaves are recomended as they possess antiseptic properties and provide the mildly acidic environment that bettas enjoy.

Food-wise, live food is always best but do note that they are particularly susceptible to dropsy (bloated stomach) and once hit, very difficult to cure. They can never resist live tubifex worms but they are the biggest culprit for dropsy so not advisable. Live brine shrimps are also good but less nutritious. Frozen blood worms are best but be careful not to overfeed as bettas are greedy creatures.

Feedback Score
    alright, Noted with apologies
    Thanks & Regards,
    Trevor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I notice poor health in many of my colleagues betta when they keep it in the office. I am guessing the water temp. is too low because most of the "tanks" are small, so the temperature change is pretty fast and drastic.

Second factor that contribute to the poor health is most likely the constant 2 days fast in dark/warm environment.

One of the solution is to place the betta in an airy environment during the weekends. What some of my colleagues do is to place their betta in the toilet during weekend.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 9th Sep 2008 at 18:05. Reason: Remove unnecessary quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i agree that the main culprit is the water temperature. Betta is a hardy fish another factor is over feeding. When doing water change its a must to age the water. Failure to do so will make hurt the betta.
    Good luck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been keeping Bettas for a while and i haven't had problems in introducing them to 'non-aged' water. though I must admit the water I use is passed slowly through a charcoal water filter before I put the fish in.

Other than that, I agree with all the advice above; i.e. soft water, a temperature above 28 degrees Centigrade, and little, if not no water flow is important in keeping them healthy. A 20% water change in a small tank (20 cm and below) every other day works well too.

Last but not the least they seem happier in a planted aquarium instead of a sterile one with no flora.
    "I grow old, I grow old. I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Betta care basics

i think maybe too cold because but in office.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Betta care basics

i think maybe too cold because put in office.