Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

1st Month into the hobby

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It is the one month anniversary of my inception into the hobby and what a month it has been:

(1) massive algae blooms: BBA, Hair, Thread etc
    (2) dying shrimps
    (3) substrate problems
    (4) landscaping errors
    (5) moss eating SAEs
    (6) melting crypts
    and so on so forth.

The tank has survived and looking better. Its fully cycled and the algae is now under some control. I have replaced some of the mosses that have been ravaged by hair algae, BBA and the SAEs with flame moss and riccia on rocks. Will soon be taking out the rapaging calombas and replacing them with vals and swords. And MAYBE, just maybe, I would get the aquarium that I want.

PS Remind me to read manuals and do research before jumping headlong into something new......
    Timothy
    aka Newbie

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is the challenge that keeps this hobby alive, so far I have still not got it right for my planted tank since I started years ago, my tank is in the balcony that is taking direct sunlight in the morning and it is very difficult to keep it algae free and I am learning everyday. Take it all and Enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Same here... still learning (from personal hands-on experience & from the friendly bros in AQ sharing their knowledge with the rest) in this hobby...

Guess it's this learning process where we cultivate our observation skills, patience & determination. If one were to give up just because of facing such problems (green water, algae/ bacteria bloom, faunas' death etc...), the final winner will most probably be the owners of LFSs [Sorry, only intended at those $$$-minded LFSs owners... I do know of some responsible LFSs owners that do really care about the faunas/ floras that they are selling to their customers...]

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by elmike View Post
    Congratulations! For if you hadn't faced this problems as a beginner, then you're probably in the wrong hobby.
    Me celebrating 6th anniversary (not month, but year, OK!) and am still not immune to these, hor.
    At least you are on the right track. Same, im still figuring out "balance" to promote plant growth and eliminate algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    I think we all would benefit from having Grand master Jervis aquatic brain haha
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Well I am off to Goldfish lane tonight to get some more Vals to replace the Cabombas... I am trying to lawn my tank with Babytears but they are always floating out of the substrate, or getting dig up by my SAEs. What is another good foreground plant? I want something for frys to hide in. Think one of my malayan shrimps is about to hatch its eggs.
    Timothy
    aka Newbie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If for the frys, moss will be a good choice.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong
    month 2:

Getting better but still suffering hair algae problems. Stem plants are still very unruly. Will give it another 2 months, and I'll probably re-scape. In the meantime, I will try to get more experience on the different type of plants and fauna before the big re-scaping.

Timothy
    aka Newbie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can try to use excel to curb the BBA. Hope this info is useful to you.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th Aug 2008 at 22:29.