Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ppl who use fans for cooling planted tanks

Ppl who use fans for cooling planted tanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Doesn't the humming sound irritate you guys?

What ways can be used to eliminate or reduce that humming?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope. But then I made sure I selected the quietest fans I can find. Of the 9cm and 8cm fans I tested, those above 25mA start being too obvious for me.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Initially it did, but after a while, just got used to it.

Just wondering, do you all DIY your fans? My ocean free one is really getting to me...

The fans are quite small, only about 5 cm in diameter... Are they supposed to be especially loud?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/19/2002 5:12:15 PM

Just wondering, do you all DIY your fans? My ocean free one is really getting to me...

The fans are quite small, only about 5 cm in diameter... Are they supposed to be especially loud?
    ----------------
    Not mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    QC,

It depends on the power of the fan... the faster they are, the louder they are (given that all else is the same). Mine are DIY.

----------------
    On 12/19/2002 5:17:50 PM

Not mine.

----------------
    Oh, so you're using the oceanfree fans and it is silent for you?

Tested it out at the LFS but i guess it was a noisy place, so when I came home I could really hear the blades spinning... Feel kena cheated sia... []

Feedback Score
    I believe the Ocean Free fans are rated at 0.19A per fan, so for 4 fans, drawing about 0.76A. The AC apdator they provided supplies 1A, so if you can manage to find an adaptor that supply at least 0.8A, you might be able to lower the noise level slightly.
    I tried with an adaptor rated at 0.5A, fans were very silent, but nearly burnt the adaptor out[:0] Very dangerous !

----------------
    On 12/19/2002 5:38:07 PM

I believe the Ocean Free fans are rated at 0.19A per fan, so for 4 fans, drawing about 0.76A. The AC apdator they provided supplies 1A, so if you can manage to find an adaptor that supply at least 0.8A, you might be able to lower the noise level slightly.
    I tried with an adaptor rated at 0.5A, fans were very silent, but nearly burnt the adaptor out[:0] Very dangerous !
    ----------------
    Oh great! Mine's a 6 fan one... So that means I have to try and find the lowest Ampere matching AC adaptor that is still more than 0.19x6 = 1.14A?

Currently I'm provided with a 1.5A one... so I guess I can find something like a 1.2A one?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

----------------
    You sure about that scooby? As far as I understand, as long as your AC adaptor rating is greater than that of your fan's requirement, your fan should be drawing the same amount of current, and thus make the same amount of noise. If switching to a lower adaptor helped, then I conjecture that the lower adaptor could either be slightly underpowered, or the voltage is slightly lower than your earlier one.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [/quote]

Oh, so you're using the oceanfree fans and it is silent for you?

Tested it out at the LFS but i guess it was a noisy place, so when I came home I could really hear the blades spinning... Feel kena cheated sia... []
    ----------------
    [/quote]

Nope, mine is not silent but quiet enough not to disturb.

A fan becomes noisy when it starts to vibrate. It starts to vibrate when its blades are off balance. Check for cracks or chipped-off.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    since u guys talking abt oceanfree fans.. i would like to ask if u guys know how to replace the fans?? i have 2 out of 6 fans spoilt.. u guys know where i can get a replacement?

Feedback Score
    if you want to have large selection of fans you should go to kelantan lane or sim lim. But of course tehse fans does not come with holder but you can get some very silent onces at cheaper price.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have an oceanfree fan too... the humming noice gets on my nerves... I thot it stressed my fishes too... after I installed the fans... my cardinals sort of loses some of its color.

When I press my ears on the glass, I hear a loud humming sound... I am wondering if this humming is really stressing the fishes...

BC

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/19/2002 6:02:10 PM

----------------

----------------
    You sure about that scooby? As far as I understand, as long as your AC adaptor rating is greater than that of your fan's requirement, your fan should be drawing the same amount of current, and thus make the same amount of noise. If switching to a lower adaptor helped, then I conjecture that the lower adaptor could either be slightly underpowered, or the voltage is slightly lower than your earlier one.
    ----------------
    I agree with Allen,
    If you select a lower current AC adapter, you will blow the adapter.
    If you want lower noise you should choose a lower voltage, which actually lower the speed of the rotation and noise.
    Of course a good quality fan will make less noise.

Cheers.
    sm

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/19/2002 8:46:39 PM

----------------
    On 12/19/2002 6:02:10 PM

----------------

----------------
    ----------------
    I agree with Allen,
    If you select a lower current AC adapter, you will blow the adapter.
    If you want lower noise you should choose a lower voltage, which actually lower the speed of the rotation and noise.
    Of course a good quality fan will make less noise.

Cheers.
    sm

----------------
    Oops, seemed to returned all my principles of electrical engineering to my lecturers []

So should I ditch the OceanFree fan? I'll definately be nagged at if I use that... heh

Are there any other cooling fans that you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/19/2002 9:46:01 PM

So should I ditch the OceanFree fan? I'll definately be nagged at if I use that... heh

Are there any other cooling fans that you guys recommend?
    ----------------
    Since you aleady have the fan already, why not try this which what I've added.
    What I've done is add a piece of rubber material between the clamp and the glass of the tank.
    This will reduce the transmission of the vibration of the fan to the tank.

Hope you get what I mean.

cross section view.
    clamp//rubber//glass//rubber//clamp

sm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------

----------------
    if you use an overrated adapter, you fans will be louder because the voltage supplied is higher causing your fan to run at a higher speed. adapter ratings are given for a particular voltage at a particular load current along the voltage/load curve. for example, an adapter rated at 12v 1a will output close to 20v when there is no load. only when the load is drawing 1a, the output voltage is 12v.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can someone shed light on adaptors that are "regulated" and "unregulated". It applies to the current I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast