Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Hemianthus micranthemoides - a question on growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    "Hemianthus micranthemoides is also commonly known as "Pearl Grass", due to the formation of many tiny bubbles on its leaves when good conditions are met.

It requires good lights (>2wpg) and will thrive even if no CO2 is added. Under intense lights, it can crawl and stay very low in an aquarium, forming very desirable carpets in a short time. This plant makes a great addition to any small to mid sized tanks."

As quoted from Mizu World and other texts.

I've highlighted the section i'm most interested. I have an up and coming 2ft scape which i'm currently thinking of using HC (Callitricoides 'cuba') and HM (Micranthemoides 'Pearl grass') in. How intense do the lights have to be to have it trailing growth.

I may opt for just a taller hair grass at the back though. If i manage to get HM to crawl, it may leave the back to empty and lacking in height, unless i can get it to crawl over and around rocks like Ukplanter did in one of his recently decommisioned tanks (i do believe?)

Thanks, James
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The only time that the HM creep for me is when I have a MH light for it. My current 2ft with 4x24W T5HO also did not make the HM creep.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jacian, the 2ft you're referring to is the length or height? Mine's a 2ft depth and its 6 x 39W, 8000k.... I wonder would it creep?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is a 2ft lenght with 40cm height. For a tank with 2ft height, it will be quite difficult for it to creep.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh! Got to source for higher kelvin, hopefully it helps. Thanks for the prompt reply Jacian.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    HM is highly sensitive to fish medications such as erythromycin and tryptaflavin and even to nylon fabric.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Higher kelvin does not really help, it is the lights pentration power that matters. Anyway, why will you want HM to creep, it is seldom used as foreground plant. There are many other plants that creep.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    I myself will use HC as foreground. I just had inspiration from Ukplanter seeing his HM crawl over rocks from the back to the front.

Maybe i'll scrap the idea then seeing as it doesnt look like it'll be possible.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    I myself will use HC as foreground. I just had inspiration from Ukplanter seeing his HM crawl over rocks from the back to the front.

Maybe i'll scrap the idea then seeing as it doesnt look like it'll be possible.
    Sir..HM and HC are different. HM that i bought looks like small stem plants, about 3-5cm in height.

while the HC that i got rarely grow above 1cm..
    Formally known as EpiCentre in AQ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also had the same problem. I try growing them in my 4 feet tank with 8 x 54 watt T5HO and not only did they not creep they even died on me. By the way when I bought there from the fish farm i think they called it MM. So I was confused.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It is used to be called Micranthemum micranthemoides (MM) but it is the same as HM.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaSynthesis View Post
    Sir..HM and HC are different. HM that i bought looks like small stem plants, about 3-5cm in height.

while the HC that i got rarely grow above 1cm..
    Don't worry, i know they're two different plants. HC is the small carpet plant, HM is the taller stem plant which grows to around 15cm tall usually. If provided the right lighting it can creep slightly. As Ukplanter managed to an extent in his scape "COAST".

I think i'll scrap the HM idea though, as i doubt i'll be able to get it to creep, so i won't waste my time or money on attempting this.

HC, riccia and a few stem plants shall be used in the scape i'm currently planning.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can some HM expert advise on why i cannot get the HM to grow? Thank you

My tank parameters:
    Size: 4 x 2 x 2
    PH : 6
    Temp: 28
    Lights: 8 x 54 T5HO
    Fert regime: Lushgro 45ml weekly, Lushgro (mirco) 45 drops weekly
    CO2: 10 bps
    Substrate : ADA amazon 2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Any chances they are planted under the shade? What other plants that are growing well in your tank?
    My Apisto Keeping Diary

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    glossostingma grows very well in my tank. HM are all grow without anything blocking them cause they are currently the tallest plants in my tank. But it seems that after growing to a certain height they will just died off.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm....maybe you want to keep them at a certain height? I see that your tank is 2ft depth, could it be at certain height, the lights could not reach the bottom part, thus causing the plants to die off?
    My Apisto Keeping Diary

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could it be shortage of P? at your CO2 and light levels, the P from waste could be used up really fast and as Lushgro doesn't provide P in its mix, perhaps your HM is dying from lack of it?

Just a stab in the dark here based on your specifications

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So I should be adding in P too. hmmm...I shall try adding in P and see how it goes. thanks.. Because my bioload very low only about 10 fishes so I think chances are you are right on the P thing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    I find when dosing ferts its best to dose as many different elements as you can. As i found an imbalance of even the less important ones can cause deficiency in my plants. So i dose in excess of most elements currently.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    Could it be shortage of P? at your CO2 and light levels, the P from waste could be used up really fast and as Lushgro doesn't provide P in its mix, perhaps your HM is dying from lack of it?

Just a stab in the dark here based on your specifications
    If I add KH2PO4, how much of P concentration should I achieve? I read the forum and I found a formula: 0.8 x volume of tank x P = amount of PO4 I should add. In the thread it states 0.5 to 1ppm, so how do I convert ppm to ml? Can I say that if I need to raise 1ppm in a 450L tank,I should divide the total volume into a million parts to get the exact amount needed?
    Last edited by soulfinder78; 3rd Sep 2008 at 13:58.