Images
    Country
    Singapore

what loach eat snails

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i put some shrimps in my tank and saw the puffers going after them . i read somewhere that loaches are also effective . can anyone tell me where i can buy them .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cks, your subject says what loaches right? well, clown loaches do eat snails - they are fishes in black and orange strips. But watch out, I think they are quite active and playful.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    besides clown loaches are there any other type of loaches

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check this site: www.loaches.com. Loaches of the genus Botia will eat snails eagerly, even the burrowing malayan trumpet snails. Just don't expect to see them at work, they work night-shift only. In Singapore, you have to search around. Apart from clown loaches, the other species are available in LFS only sporadically.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No joke i just bot some puffers......they eat shrimps? tot of controlling my snails in the tanks.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, I'm thinking about changing my snail control from Rams to Loaches. Currently, my two Rams are such a pain. The more aggresive one is always chasing the other one at feeding time and bullying the corys. []

Clown loach is out since they get pretty big and might dig up plants rite? What about Botia Sidthimunki or Dwarf Loach? These apparently don't get bigger than 4cm. Anyone tried it for snail control? I've seen them at LFS before, but can't remember if it was at Ben's or Qian Hu...

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/22/2002 8:05:35 PM

No joke i just bot some puffers......they eat shrimps? tot of controlling my snails in the tanks.
    ----------------
    For snail control, typically one puffer is sufficient... My lone puffer keeps my 5ft tank clear.

As for loaches, as mentioned before most of the botia xxxxx will take snails, but to be honest, they aren't as effective as puffers... especially if commercial food is in ample supply. For a planted tank, I wouldn't try clown loaches as they get pretty big. The more commonly found ones are the yoyo loach (pakistani) and the dwarf chain loach.... I also think I spotted some banded loaches in C328, but not 100% sure of the id.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haven't read about Clown Loaches digging up plants, but they are known to leave bite marks on leaves.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can try coolie loach?
    My Malayan snails are barely surviving in my tank with them around.
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the many responses .

went to a lfs at Joo chiat . there was a very beautiful display tank and i spotted a pair of loaches in the tank . thought they were deployed to get rid of snails . i thought of getting them . any 1 know the id of the loaches .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    fyi, i saw some kuhli loaches in tiongbahru last friday. ben had smaller ones while his neighbour's bigger.

er... read in another forum about pakistani loaches (b. modesta) attacking tankmates. so be careful. maybe some experience keepers would like to comment?
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/23/2002 8:51:11 AM

er... read in another forum about pakistani loaches (b. modesta) attacking tankmates. so be careful. maybe some experience keepers would like to comment?
    ----------------
    Errr I think you got your info wrong... B.Modesta is the orange finned loach... not the pakistanni loach. The Pakistani loach is either known as B.lohachata or B.almorhae.

As for attacking other fish, I would say that the pakistani a.k.a. yo-yo loach is one of the more peachful fish in my tank. They are very playful (which is one of the joys of keeping them) and constantly chase each others tails... but never disturb other fishes... In terms of risk, I would say they are low to no risk to your other fishes.

p/s for those of you who don't know... some loaches... pakistani and clown included sleep on their side... so they look like they are dead... so if you buy a loach, and you find it on its side some time later, make sure you poke it a bit before you scoop it into the bin.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I maintain my preference for loaches over puffers. With one pakistani and some kuhllis, my 3 ft is completely free of snails, safe a remnant of MTS. And they don't bother the rasboras, barbs....

Apart from the pakistani, you can find other small botias like striata in shops intermittently. Lam Hong at AMK Ave 4 has some small striped loaches when i went yesterday.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/22/2002 11:24:58 PM

Haven't read about Clown Loaches digging up plants, but they are known to leave bite marks on leaves.
    ----------------
    I used to have 4 of them. Grown quite big and I gave them away. Yes they will leave U-shaped bite marks especially on Sword plants. They may unintentionally uproot plants while foraging for food. This is especially so for shallow-rooted small plants.
    BTW - I never see my Clown Loaches eat snails before.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To be honest, I have never seen them make an impact on the snail population either... however, they have a reputation on the net for doing so, and I boil it down to the fact that they are too happy with my fish flakes to go eat snails.
    Allen

I have 5 clown loaches in my 5' tank and even though I've never seen them eat snails, I've found lots of dead snail shells on the gravel. So, I'm quite sure they're the ones sucking the snail flesh out of the shells.

Nowadays, I can't even find a single snail inside my 5'. Only problem is that they like to chew on vals. Lots of their teeth marks on my vals.

Read off the internet that it's best to keep at least 3 of them as they're schoolling fishes. I did thought of reducing the clowns in my tank, but I do need them to finish off the food fragments that my aro misses in the tank.

The growth rate is quite slow, so you don't have to worry about them growing too big for the tank within 1-2 yrs. Those giantic 6-7" clown loaches are probably couple of yrs old and they're quite expensive.

I'm quite sure that LFSs will gladly trade in your large clown for at least another small clown loach if not more.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just curious Vican,

are your clowns big enough that the Aro is no longer a threat?
    Allen

----------------
    On 12/23/2002 10:14:16 AM

Just curious Vican,

are your clowns big enough that the Aro is no longer a threat?
    ----------------
    Oh, they're too big and too fast for the aro. I'm pretty lucky to get an aro that doesn't eat fish. So far, I've only found a missing SAE. Not too sure if it died of its own accord or got eaten because my aro mistook it for a frog because of similar coloring

My clown loaches are 2x1.5" and 3x2.5".

I'm thinking of getting rid of 2 of the bigger Clowns, but not too sure how to trap them. Dunno if the inverted bottle trap will work on them. They're definitely too fast for my nets. Plus I could stress my aro, causing it to jump.

My aro's still recovering from shock. Never seen such a jumpy fish

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi cks. Dont mind I borrow your thread. I too have snails infestation, some as big as a five cent coin.

Can someone advise if schooling kuhli and/or a couple of pakistani loach go with a tank of discus, angels and tetra? I oso have a single cory loxo. Would I expect any aggression from my exisitng fish when i introduce the newbies?

Cheers
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    -------------------
    Hi cks. Dont mind I borrow your thread. I too have snails infestation, some as big as a five cent coin.

Can someone advise if schooling kuhli and/or a couple of pakistani loach go with a tank of discus, angels and tetra? I oso have a single cory loxo. Would I expect any aggression from my exisitng fish when i introduce the newbies?

Cheers
    uncle
    -------------------
    sure no problem .. we are all here to share and learn. most welcome to share this thread .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast