Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New nano teething problems...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After lots of reading, LFS visiting, equipment gathering, and waiting for my new office to be setup, I've finally managed to setup a small 45x20x25 with CO2 and 24W PL lights. Unfortunately LFS was out of stock for W/W lights, so making do with R/W for the time being.

Lights - 24W R/W PL
    Filtration - Eheim Liberty 200
    Substrate - ADA power sand and amazonia

Planted rotala sp. in the background, glosso in the fore and Crypt wendtii around a cluster of rocks.

Now only D3 of the new setup. Glosso and Rotala appear to be doing well, but Crypt started melting.

What is the cause? Is it crypt adapting to the new environment? When do I decide to remove the crypt from the tank? Is low kH a cause of crypt melt?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The crypts are adapting.
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So how do I know when to unroot them? Leave them all in the substrate even if the the leaves melt?

Will be rotting leaves cause any pH/kH swing?

It's rather distressing to see them melt away

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MbmC View Post
    So how do I know when to unroot them? Leave them all in the substrate even if the the leaves melt?

Will be rotting leaves cause any pH/kH swing?

It's rather distressing to see them melt away
    Hi bro, it's normal for most crypts to melt when planted in a new environment as it's trying to adapt based on my own personal experiences (however, there are some bros in here who did not encounter any melting at all during the process.. ) [You may refer to my 1st attempt at Crypt tank here: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=41424]

I would think that it's better to remove the melted leaves of the crypts away & do partial water change if possible.. First it is unsightly seeing the melted leaves swaying admist the current & the milky water, Secondly, you never knows what may leak into the tank if you left the melted leaves in the tank... For me, I did not measure any of the pH/kH, but I did water change (about 30 to 40%)

You may wish to leave the roots of the crypts in the substrate & see if new growth of it will sprout in the next week or more [That's what happened to my crypts. Nearly uprooted all the crypts & tot of decommissioning the tank, but luckily didn't as managed to spot new growth after few weeks...

PS: even now in my matured tank, I still have a leave or two of the crypts melting... I guess this is pretty normal as new ones will grow out to replace these melted ones..

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Interestingly, I already see two new leaves on the crypt. Maybe the plants are rapidly adapting to the new environment.

Are there any specific lighting requirements for crypts? Seems to me they don't need much light, can even grow under shade...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    For Crypts... the more you leave them alone.. the better they grow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hahah...I really hope that'll be the case. Makes them sound like weeds...

How long roughly does it take for crypts to sprout?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MbmC View Post
    Hahah...I really hope that'll be the case. Makes them sound like weeds...

Cheers on spotting the few new leaves!!!

How long roughly does it take for crypts to sprout?
    If ferts are present & the conditions are optimum, it may grow as fast as in a week... Inserting base ferts into the areas where the crypts' roots are will surely aid in the growth also...

In my own opinion, they are not very 'light-hungry' unlike some plants..

Keep us updated on your crypts...