Country
    Singapore

A newbie experience of starting a 4 ft plant tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just sharing my experience.

Bought a 4 x 2 x 2 ft plant tank set from a forum bro inclusive of gravel, some plants, a large piece of driftwood with moss and some cardinal and a few smaller fish for $265.

Transport of fishtank by sgbro is $80 during the promo discount period. My place is on the ground floor and the bro whom I bought from has to climb one floor to reach the lift. Transport was well done, tank arrive safely and the guys helped me place the tank at the designated location which is just outside my main gate.

Bought a 4 ft (4 x 36 watt) e-ballast PL light that comes with a small attached fan for $80. The protective plastic is slightly damage. The condition is said to be 6/10.

Bought another 4 ft (2 x 55 watt) e-ballast PL light for $35. Looks very new.

Bought a second hand 3 litre CO2 set (according to seller, the tank is almost full)with solenoid and a used old cannister (looks like ehiem brand but can't see clearly) for $180. The cannister was working well when I bought it but I could not fix it properly when I reached home. After fixing it, there is a leak. I suspect that the leak was because I don't know how to fix a round cannister properly. If any bros want it, I can give it to you.
    Travelled to the bro's place, climb up 4 storey to get the set.

Bought a second hand 1400 litre/ hour flow rate sun sun brand cannister. Found to be also leaking and the uv light is defective. Subsequently, one forum bro helped me fix it and it is working well now. This is bought for $50, delivered by the bro.

In the meantime, bought a CF 1200 Atman 3 cannister, 1550 litre/ hr flow rate. Working very well. Bought from Seaview for $97 after 15% discount. Just realised that the same cannister is selling in Toa Payoh for $90 without discount and if you buy more things from the shop, the boss will give some slight discount on the media. Hence, the tank is running on 2 cannisters.

Bought some acquarium plants and moss from C328 and mainly from forum bros for a total of about $50.

Bought some shrimps (Malayan and a few crystal red) and 10 SAE at $0.50 each, for a total of about $50.

Forgot to add that one of the bro also sold me a used cannister set that I subsequently found to be leaking. Changed the O Ring and something else. Cost me $50.

Total cost of a second hand plant set is about $800, without chiller. One lesson I learn is not to buy second hand cannister. I spend a lot of time trying to fix the cannister and searching for spare parts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok sounds like you are all set now. aren't you cycling the tank before adding those shrimps?

Please post your pics to share. good luck!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, I got the tank running for a few days, change water by 20% each day, before adding a few cardinal tetras. When I noticed that they are healthy, I added more and finally, send in the shrimps.

So far, the biggest challenge was in getting rid of algae growth. Presently, my tank is blackout. Trying to starve the algae. A few of my cardinal tetra has died in the past 1 week. Not sure if this is a sign that my tank is moving into deeper trouble.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I transferred cardinals from my old to 1 month old new recently. did well first 2 weeks then yesterday noticed some got kindda sickly. eyes popping out and mouldy looking. they are relatively sensitive to environmental changes. i suggest you'd need more time for your tank to mature and settle.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan01 View Post
    ... yesterday noticed some got kindda sickly. eyes popping out and mouldy looking..
    You might wanna check your water condition. Its signs of a disease known as pop eyes. I do not know the medical name though... 1 of my Apistos got it before and it died a week or 2 after I first noticed it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i gave quarantine the sick ones. everyone in my sick bay will die faster than in main tank. haha!

did a 1/3 water change. any other counter measures i'd need to do?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's this medicine by Sera, forgot its name but its not cheap bro. Think I there are also alternative brands.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Pictures please???...

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    Pictures please???...
    Will put pictures when I find a camera to do the job. In the meantime, I have blackout my tanks and hopefully, in a few days time, I hope to throughly get rid of algae before sharing the pictures of my acquarium with bros here.

Cheers.
    Last edited by leechaorui; 28th Sep 2008 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The attachments are some pictures of my fish tank. Hope that you will like my messy fish tank. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi lee,

I see alot of algae on the pipes ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There are some algae growth, but it is more controlled now.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL! I see you in the pic and your garden. Your moss seems unhealthy!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    nice tank but perhaps you should have set it up inside your house so there will not be sunlight which causes algae

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I may have to give up my tank in a few months time. Sigh...