Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Need help with a non-CO2 planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need help with a non-CO2 planted tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, im new to this forum and new to planted tanks too.

Ive just bought a 4x2x2 tank which is set to be delivered in a couple of days. The challenge for me is to set up the tank before the 27th of October (Deepavali).

Ive been doing some readings on this forum in sourcing for information and this is what ive come up with thus far...

SOIL
    Firstly, I read that either the ADA Amazon (low PH) or Seachem Onyx (high PH) would be preferable. Hence, I was thinking of getting the Amazon as i want to keep shrimps too and my understanding is that they require slightly low PH.

LIGHT
    Next is the light. I understand FL stands for fluorescent light. But what does PL stand for. Also, apart from the cost, PL seems to be the preferred lighting. Based on the 1.5-2 w/gal guideline for a non-CO2 tank, i should be getting a total wattage of 215 watts. Am i right to say that? If so, are there any specific PL lights i should be getting?

FERTILISER
    Ive read that for a non-CO2 tank, fertilisers are not necessary. So should i still be getting KPH4 or any other ferts? If yes, how much is necessary.

PLANTS
    Since im targetting a non-CO2 tank, I will have to balance the number of plants with critters so as to ensure a balance that limits algae growth. Is there any guideline as to what this ratio is or how do i strike the balance?

Thank you for reading my long post. Hope i can clear my doubts for now. Im sure more questions will arise when i start getting the tank in order.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you should consider using CO2. I was told it makes your plants breath easy and therefore, healthier. A second hand set without solenoid is not expensive.

For fertiliser, I think you don't need them because you are using ADA soil.

For lights, PL lights is preferred because it could penetrate to the depth of your tank. If you keep moss, then you don't really need to have very strong lights, just cool water.

You may want to consider getting a cannister too. It helps you cycle and clean the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    i am planning to setup my own planted tank too... replies here would be helpful to me..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ADA Soil does lower the PH, but for shrimps, think they thrive better in cooler water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BuWaC View Post
    ADA Soil does lower the PH, but for shrimps, think they thrive better in cooler water.
    I second that. Though you may try the easier Cherries whom aren't as demanding.

As you're targeting at a non-CO2 shrimp tank. Why not consider moss as the main focus plant? But then again, regardless of plants, cooler temperature helps too. Moss, imho is the easiest of plants... very minimum requirements needed but FL won't have the strength to penetrate a depth of 2ft. Personally I'm using T5HO but mine's a high tech tank. In your case, PL should be fine.

Plants still need fert in a non-CO2 tank but you may cheat by usage of your fauna's waste and a little leftover food. Again highly recommend moss as shrimps are ultra sensitive critters to fert.

The best way to prevent algae attack for new tanks is to have it at least 90% planted when new. For your information, plants aren't affect by bb boom..thus plant as much as you can and give your tank enough time to cycle before adding the shrimps in.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks so far people.. further questions to be asked

1) pl light wattage is difference from fl light wattage ah? if its difference then what wattage should i be looking for for the PL light

2) how does moss help shrimps

3) how many days should i cycle the tank before adding the critters

4) What kind of cannister should i be looking at? a specific model would be a good reply because im really unsure about which filter to use
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 4th Oct 2008 at 16:13. Reason: SMS Lingo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kachang90 View Post
    thanks so far ppl.. further questions to be asked

1) pl light wattage is diff from fl light wattage ah? if its diff then what wattage should i be looking for for the PL light

You can get two sets of 2x55w of PL lights

2) how does moss help shrimps

Provide food and resting/ hiding place

3) how many days should i cycle the tank before adding the critters

One week should be good. Remember to test the water PH, nitrate and nitrite level

4) What kind of cannister should i be looking at? a specific model would be a good reply cos im really unsure about which filter to use
    You can try Atman CF1200, 1550 litre per hour.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow thats really specific!! thanks a million.. anyway.. anyone knows about powersand? i read somewhere that it is good to use powersand as the first layer as it provides beneficial microbes or something like that.. if so.. where to get it from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    there'res Tom's guide to non co2 tanks which is pretty useful for new non co2 owners. if u wanna prevent algae, just plant as heavily as u can. as for the fauna,they recommend 1" of slim body fish for every gallon. correct me if im wrong,but i dun think the balance of plants and fauna affect algae growth, more like water quality which is more crucial for the critters

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaculture View Post
    The best way to prevent algae attack for new tanks is to have it at least 90% planted when new. For your information, plants aren't affect by bb boom..thus plant as much as you can and give your tank enough time to cycle before adding the shrimps in.
    Fully agree with this as I had this mistake when I started out my planted, now am salvaging it by plucking out BBA and monitoring, its a real chore but sometimes its worth...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

aquascaping

ok people.. I've sort off bought the basic stuff for setting up the planted tank..

i bought Gex soil, a Jebo 829 and a 4T5HO lamp. I wanted to get the Atman but the Petmart uncle told me that the Jebo was slightly better in some aspects.

Anyway, i was looking at some aquascapes and noticed that the plants only grow on certain areas.. Does this mean that I have to use different substrates to prevent the plants from growing on certain areas?

For example if i don't want plants to grow in the central portion must i use other substrates like sand so as to deter plant growth?

Thanks for you advice
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 4th Oct 2008 at 16:13. Reason: SMS Lingo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    actually instead of looking at equipment , first tackle the plants and fauna you intent on keeping, then proceed to the required equipments.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kachang90 View Post

i bought Gex soil, a Jebo 829 and a 4T5HO lamp. I wanted to get the Atman but the Petmart uncle told me that the Jebo was slightly better in some aspects.

Anyway, i was looking at some aquascapes and noticed that the plants only grow on certain areas.. Does this mean that I have to use different substrates to prevent the plants from growing on certain areas?

For example if i dun want plants to grow in the central portion must i use other substrates like sand so as to deter plant growth?

Thanks for you advice
    Don't worry about the brand but the flowrate bro. Basically, we're trying to prevent dead spots.

To have a certain look - that's where the gardener in you comes in.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Your tank depth is pretty deep 2ft, at least go for T5 with good reflector one, alternatively you can also use PL light with good reflector but the heat generate out is much higher than T5 thus giving you higher temperature in your tank, you need to use fan to cool down your tank temperature also.

I advise getting 2 canister filter, one at each corner with rainbar to prevent death spot, if got budget go for the Eheim 2217, better flowrate and reliability. Oops you already bought the items!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks again

Ok people.. thanks a million for all the replies.. Ill probably upgrade my filter in December or something when got bonus. Hehe.. For now. i shall focus on setting up the tank.. Hope things go smoothly..

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Power head also can!
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 4th Oct 2008 at 16:14. Reason: remove immediate quote

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Enjoy your process of setting the tank. But do read up abit on the plants you intend to keep as different plants got different requirement.

Thanks

PS: Please refrain from using SMS lingo or shortform.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano