Country
    Singapore

There a BUG in my fish tank!!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Found this bug hiding among the plants. Luckily was at the front so I saw it. Initially thought it is some dead leaves or shrimp that looked disgustingly like a bug. Caught it with a pincer, and it moved!!

Bug.jpg

Did a search online and guess that it is a dragonfly larva. Any bros can correct or confirm with me? Will it harm my fish? Right now "quarantined" in my tank till I identify it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    found 4 to 5 of these before in my tank abt a year ago. killed them. these larva can be carnivorous i believe, and i had shrimps so i took no chances. they look pretty damn ugly too haha... what kind of fish do u have?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So this is a dragonfly larva?

I have a few kinds of tetras, SAEs, Ottos, Endlers....Yamato shrimps only for now, but planning to add Sakuras soon...

No big fish to eat this bugger....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think if a fish can eat that, it can eat your other tank mates, that thing can grow bigger and eat bigger preys than itself, it is rated as one of the proficient predators in the world. Just remove it from your tank. Check thoroughly and frequently, my bet is that it could have been some dragonfly spawned in your tank. Especially if you live near a waterbody.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My tank is near the window, but no pond or lakes or whatever nearby. Still, insects may have access to my tank even though it is almost fully covered. Or it may have come with plants or...

With your advice, I think I better not let it have a chance near my faunas. But I can't bear to kill it. Maybe I'll leave it in the quarantine area and feed it with live food when I feed fish. If it can survive, maybe one day I can see a dragonfly flying out of my tank!! Whoot!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a dragonfly larvae, harmful to your tankmates! Some info on bugs here:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=34333

If you search on youtube, you will be amazed to see how it attacks and catches fishes!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Terrible news: The creature escaped from the quarantine area back into the tank!!

Tried to catch it a few times but it escaped back into the thick plants. Has been hiding since and I do not see it any more. Think my benevolence has endangered my tank's occupants. Hopefully I can find it again someday and this time, I'll spare no mercy!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gemo82 View Post
    Hopefully I can find it again someday and this time, I'll spare no mercy!!
    Someday??? Oh dear... please find it and catch it fast. Hope the tankmates will be safe....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    That looks disgusting. catch them quick! they eat little fishes for breakfast!
    Continuous effort- neither strength nor intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also hope. But I can't find it now leh.....

An amazing thing happened this morning when I lifted up the light sets to work on the plants. I saw a dragonfly!!

At first, I thought I finally found the mother of the bug that had appeared in my tank. Then, I saw beside it, the bug that I caught and escaped a week ago. It was out of water, on the air inlet of my Hydor Ario. Caught it with a pincer, and found that it is only a hollow shell!!

That means, yes, that dragonfly besides it, is what has morphed from the ugly bug!!

Took a photograph of it before I let it fly away through my window...

DSC00198_edited.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 7th Oct 2008 at 12:35.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wah.... so you bred a dragonfly from your tank . hope at no cost... hehe .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What a way to put it, but erm....Yeah!! You are right!! I bred a dragonfly!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi hi...yeah had that dragonfly nymph in my godma's tank once when there were baby pearl gouramis inside....was discovering day by day that how come the baby gouramis were getting fewer and fewer but there were no dead fishes at the bottom of the tank and the nymph was hiding in one corner so did not manage to spot it till few days later...

Actually saw it eating one of the baby fishes that it caught..Anyway caught the bad bug and threw it into the dustbin...It has a life cycle in the water for about 2 weeks before it will morph into a dragonfly...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wow, that should be fun. Maybe I'll set a tank for dragonfly nymph. That would be good aquatic photography subject.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow guess I'm not the only unlucky (or lucky) ones with such a bug in my tank. But guess I'm the only foolish one to let it stay till it morphed into airborne.

luenny, nice idea, but where are you going to get the nymphs? Hmm...maybe you can start a thread to request for all the bros here to pass them to u instead of killing them when found in their tanks. The dragonfly species will thank you for saving their population!!