Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is my tank parameters okay for CRS?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is my tank parameters okay for CRS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good day ,

I have a 1.5ft tank with chiller temp set to 24.5 to 25.5degrees, started cycling since 1 month ago with about 10 cherries. No casualties and us fissidens in the tank are growing well. Only exception is the weeping moss that turns brown and dying off. I have since removed them. There are 3 small pieces of sea mud rock in the tank.

I measured the parameters today and everything seems to be okay, except that the tank water is somewhat cloudy, eversince the weeping moss died off. No matter how much water change i made, it wouldnt clear. i am using canister filter with used media from my decommed 2ft tank, medias washed with water before start of cycling process.

Can anyone enlighten me if there's anyway to clear it up? Will CRS be able to make it in there? Thanks

Parameters:

ph - 7
    ammonia- less than 0.25ppm
    nitrate - less than 5ppm
    nitrite - 0
    gh - about 3
    kh - about 3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Bro, can check what canister you using? flow rate and media? Your surface look still without any moving current with your rainbar. Are you using new or used soil? Cloudy water are normal for initial setup but not after a month. Possible the bacteria are not growing well in the cycling process.
    Last edited by d2sign; 2nd Oct 2008 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2sign View Post
    Bro, can check what canister you using? flow rate and media? Your surface look still without any moving current with your rainbar. Are you using new or used soil? Cloudy water are normal for initial setup but not after a month. Possible the bacteria are not growing well in the cycling process.
    Hi,

i am using Jebao canister flowrate 750l/hr....the rainbar's been positioned to blow against the tank wall as facing outwards will make too strong a current. Media inside are, sponge, glass rings, biohome plus.

Soil used is amazonia, taken from my decommed tank and scalded with hot water to kill whatever pest, parasite etc that may be present.

Umm, i was wondering if the cherries are not enough for the cycling process? Should i add in some fishes or plants to continue cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by POCARY View Post
    Hi, when my Tank look Cloudy, that was when i start adding BB. I did help.

Thanks
    Hi, i did occasionally dose some nutrafin BB. Maybe the faunas present in the tank are not of a significant enough for the cycling process?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 3rd Oct 2008 at 18:13. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro, why not try a 100% water change and observe from there. If still blur, means your cycling is not completed. To fasten this process, introduce some old medias or old sponges with a lot of dirt.

Given the condition of your tank, Ill suggest its best not to introduce any CRS yet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Spid View Post
    To fasten this process, introduce some old medias or old sponges with a lot of dirt.
    Yeah. Learn something new today. Usually clean up all the mess then restart a setup...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wei View Post
    Good day ,

I have a 1.5ft tank with chiller temp set to 24.5 to 25.5degrees, started cycling since 1 month ago with about 10 cherries. No casualties and us fissidens in the tank are growing well. Only exception is the weeping moss that turns brown and dying off. I have since removed them. There are 3 small pieces of sea mud rock in the tank.

I measured the parameters today and everything seems to be okay, except that the tank water is somewhat cloudy, eversince the weeping moss died off. No matter how much water change i made, it wouldnt clear. i am using canister filter with used media from my decommed 2ft tank, medias washed with water before start of cycling process.

Can anyone enlighten me if there's anyway to clear it up? Will CRS be able to make it in there? Thanks

Parameters:

ph - 7
    ammonia- less than 0.25ppm
    nitrate - less than 5ppm
    nitrite - 0
    gh - about 3
    kh - about 3
    What gravel is it ? Why the ph is 7 is it used gravel?
    silane

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yep... He got mention it's used amazonia from his previous tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Spid View Post
    Bro, why not try a 100% water change and observe from there. If still blur, means your cycling is not completed. To fasten this process, introduce some old medias or old sponges with a lot of dirt.

Given the condition of your tank, Ill suggest its best not to introduce any CRS yet.
    I have tried changing 50% for a few times in quick succesion but still no improvements.

i am very tempted to take the bio sponge fllter from my goldfidh tub and squeeze the dirt/water in the tank...will it helps?

Quote Originally Posted by silane View Post
    What gravel is it ? Why the ph is 7 is it used gravel?
    was amazonia from my decommissioned tank...the higher ph could be due to the few pieces of coral chips in my canister filter, or maybe the old sea mineral rocks in the tank?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 4th Oct 2008 at 01:03. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think is because the old soil has lost its acidic property, no wander your water is milky after 1 month and the pH is 7
    silane

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Silane, can you share with me the causes of the soil losing its acidic property? Is it because of soaking in hot water before reusing them?

And how would losing of acidicity equates to milky water?

Thanks
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 00:54. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have tried changing 50% for a few times in quick succesion but still no improvements.

i am very tempted to take the bio sponge fllter from my goldfidh tub and squeeze the dirt/water in the tank...will it helps?

was amazonia from my decommissioned tank...the higher ph could be due to the few pieces of coral chips in my canister filter, or maybe the old sea mineral rocks in the tank?
    Yes my friend, squeezing the dirty sponge into your setup will help the tank to be cycled faster. Dont believe you can try. Observe the tank in 2-3 days and see whether its still blur. If it is, best to change all of the water. Wash all over again and restart the tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good day,

I decided to re-start my tank. Went down C328 yesterday and bought gex soil(red) and did my set-up yesterday. Last night change 50% water and today add in some moss and fissidens on wire mesh.

Probably on the 3rd day will do another 50% wc and squeeze on some 'dirty water' from the sponge filter to speed up the cycling process.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 00:55. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lifespan of ADA soil? i used mine for 3 months and the bottom are mud. leaving the thin top layer still in the actual form.. how long do you think ada soil can last?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Silane, can you share with me the causes of the soil losing its acidic property? Is it because of soaking in hot water before reusing them?

And how would losing of acidicity equates to milky water?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POCARY View Post
    Hi Silane, care to share is the Soil do have their Life Span ? Do we have to replace the Soil or had read somewhere to top up new Soil.

Thanks
    Aged soil lose acidic property. I was pretty sure that the milky water is because of old soil because of the high pH you were having.

To reuse Amonzonia, I used to sun it, sift the fine powder and throw away and use the bigger portion.

Some brand of soil based gravel last longer, over 1 year or beyond, some maybe as short as 6 months. But broke down soil does not pose a problem, if you dont move the soil around.
    silane

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Silane, so can I take it as a guage that its time to change ada soil when there's a sudden increase in PH?

Is it that all types of aged soil (ada, gex, custom soil etc) shares the same characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    lifespan of ADA soil? i used mine for 3 months and the bottom are mud. leaving the thin top layer still in the actual form.. how long do you think ada soil can last?
    i used mine for about 6 months before decommissioning my 2ft tank. Also noticed the bottom portion showing signs of disintegrating. I am using ADA Amazonia.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 00:56. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It depends on how "much" you use the soil, if you keep change water, the acidic property will be washed out.

I am not familiar with Custom soil before, but I believe all acidic soil pH will drift upward as our tap water is in alkaline range.
    Last edited by silane; 6th Oct 2008 at 13:46.
    silane