Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What soil do you use for dwarf shrimp tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bro and sis, can check what soil you use for your shrimp tank? Also your feedback/experience or anything worth sharing regarding the soil. Thanks.

My experience:
    So far using ADA amazonia, work fine with my Sakura & Cherry but not Bee or Tiger shrimp. No matter how much I add they can never survive for a week.

Meantime, I setup another tank at office with amazonia too, cycled for 3 weeks, 50% water change everyday for the first week and alternate day for another 2 weeks, moss growing well and pond snail start populating. Happily add in some Bee and Tiger shrimps, same thing happen, they all die 1 by 1 and all gone within a week. I realise I make a mistake: without testing the water! Quickly purchase all necessary test kits and perform a water test, everything is fine but pH read as 6 or below.

I was wonder... Why? I thought Amazonia should maintain the pH at 6.8? I know the initial step it will lower pH but it's been 3 weeks and so many rounds of water change.

Just told by a lfs owner, he have the same experience using amazonia, he lost more than 100 CRS in a amazonia tank. He tried mix amazonia with other soil and cycle for few weeks, result still the same. Now, he using magic soil, telling me that he can introduce CRS within 4-5 days and they are doing fine. Just bought a small pack to try. Will share the outcome a week later
    Last edited by Quixotic; 3rd Oct 2008 at 18:15. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Your 50% water change was too much. Tiger shrimp or CRS will never able to take it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Oh... That was during the cycling process without any shrimp, only java moss and amazon frogbit.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    After reading so much in the forum i decide to use GEX soil~

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2sign View Post
    My experience:
    So far using ADA amazonia, work fine with my Sakura & Cherry but not Bee or Tiger shrimp. No matter how much I add they can never survive for a week.

Meantime, I setup another tank at office with amazonia too, cycled for 3 weeks, 50% water change everyday for the first week and alternate day for another 2 weeks, moss growing well and pond snail start populating. Happily add in some Bee and Tiger shrimps, same thing happen, they all die 1 by 1 and all gone within a week. I realise I make a mistake: without testing the water! Quickly purchase all necessary test kits and perform a water test, everything is fine but pH read as 6 or below.

I was wonder... Why? I thought Amazonia should maintain the pH at 6.8? I know the initial step it will lower pH but it's been 3 weeks and so many rounds of water change.

Just told by a lfs owner, he have the same experience using amazonia, he lost more than 100 CRS in a amazonia tank. He tried mix amazonia with other soil and cycle for few weeks, result still the same. Now, he using magic soil, telling me that he can introduce CRS within 4-5 days and they are doing fine. Just bought a small pack to try. Will share the outcome a week later
    Keep us updated then.

With ph 6 or below is very normal for new soil. After few months you will see ph start shooting up slowly. I believe cycling of tank at the initial stage is the most important. Ada is good to use because its long lasting. It can maintain low ph for a long period of time as compared with other soil types. However its disadvantage is that it takes longer than other soil type to cycle.

Your shrimps will not be affected much by the ph if being acclimatise well. I have CRS at different tanks of ph ranging from 5.5-7.5. All are doing fine.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Few months? Is that usual practice for ADA soil shrimp tank? I have another 2ft with Amazonia mix with custom soil, been cycling for more than a month. Test the water parameters few time and all reading are correct. Put in 4 Yamato to test water and so far they still survive and 2 of them berried. Will try to add some Bee shrimp tonight.

So bro spid, you using ADA soil for your shrimp tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by GER View Post
    After reading so much in the forum i decide to use GEX soil~
    Share your reading and opinion?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 3rd Oct 2008 at 18:14. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is what you can expect from the white wool after 3 months of using in a canister with Amanzonia II soil.

A tank with many shrimps, especially will break the soil pellet down to powder form. Anyway, Amanzonia II is not marketed as shrimp soil but a planted tank soil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    silane

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's disgusting... lose my appetite.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2sign View Post
    Few months? Is that usual practice for ADA soil shrimp tank? I have another 2ft with Amazonia mix with custom soil, been cycling for more than a month. Test the water parameters few time and all reading are correct. Put in 4 Yamato to test water and so far they still survive and 2 of them berried. Will try to add some Bee shrimp tonight.

So bro spid, you using ADA soil for your shrimp tanks?

Yes I do. I prefer Ada type I. Type II like what bro Silane mentioned. Tend to break down too easily. Another good soil to recommend will be nisso custom soil. It works well for me. Now it seems Nisso has come out with a better version which is red packing that is suitable for shrimps. Have not tried it yet though. Will do so if I set up another new tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Just redo my office's nano with magic soil, hopefully it will doing fine this round. The soil kinda big compare to ADA and Nisso...

Quote Originally Posted by Spid View Post
    Nisso has come out with a better version which is red packing that is suitable for shrimps. Have not tried it yet though. Will do so if I set up another new tank.
    No sight from any lfs I went, but saw it on mizuworld. Maybe try that for my next setup too, after you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I use GEX green pack for CRS. Normal black quartz gravel for RCS.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Magic soil really do some magic here.

It's been more than 2 week since I re-setup my office's nano tank, as mention earlier, I'm using magic soil for this time round instead of Amazonia. 90% water change the next day and 50% every 2 - 3 days.

After cycle for 1 weeks plus, I try add in 5 Bee shrimps to test water. 2 days later, added 6 sakura shrimplets, and more Bee shrimps the next day.

It's been 5 days since I first intro the bee shrimps, zero dead so far, the water parameter as below:

pH = 6.5
    NO2 = near 0
    NO3 = near 0
    GH = 5
    KH = 4
    Ammonia = dunno, never test
    Temperature = 23C with air-con & fans, 25C - 26C without aircon

Will show some photos if can

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I having been using magic soil for my tank. The ph will drop to 6 or even less after 1-2months of so.
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Really, that sound quite bad... Will wait for 1-2 months to see if happen on mine too, thanks for sharing...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not sure if its just me..shrimps don't seems to do well in magicsoil because the ph do drop really low. My SeaChem ph meter actuallys show 5.8 and Tetra ph test kits measures 5,although it's a bright darkish yellow can't gauge accurately compared to the chart which is light yellow. Think coral will be need to buffer the ph if not its a good substrate for plants.
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Could it be other factor to cause the low pH? Sorry just hope to find out more else I'm putting my shrimps in a time bomb tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by k3nlim View Post
    I'm not sure if its just me..shrimps don't seems to do well in magicsoil because the ph do drop really low. My SeaChem ph meter actuallys show 5.8 and Tetra ph test kits measures 5,although it's a bright darkish yellow can't gauge accurately compared to the chart which is light yellow. Think coral will be need to buffer the ph if not its a good substrate for plants.
    What shrimps are you keeping?
    silane

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    tank ph always at around 6.2 to 5.8....now maintain at 5.8 ph.

2 out 4 CRS died.....1 almost to heaven

after 11 days i put them in to cherry tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Using magic soil too?

Been using magic soil for nearly 2 months, pH maintain at 6.2 - 6.4 with a bit of coral chips, so far so good, a few cherries carry eggs and can see some cherry shrimplets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    any successful keep crs for more than 6 month???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast