Images
    Country
    Netherlands

Badis tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have an empty tank (100x40x40 cm) that I want to use for a Badis setup.
    Probably it will be Badis sp. "Buxar".
    I've been thinking of some tankmates, but I'm not sure it's an good idea.
    Maybe it's better to put in badids only.

Any suggestions?
    And in what numbers you keep them best?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Thats a big tank for such little fellas, I've never kept 'buxar' befor but i'm sure its care is much the same as other Badidae keep in quite a dimly lit tank with very little water movement and plenty of plant cover.

I terms of tank mates think of small peaceful fish i've kept them with cherry barbs and parambassis lala with out any problems.

In a tank that size you could easily keep 10 or so individuals.

Good luck.
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yeap, the husbandry should be pretty much similar to those of other Badis species. You can easily keep a number of them in such a big tank as they are reported to grow up to 4 to 5 cm SL.

As they generally dislike fast water movement, smaller gouramies or similar anabantoids would probably work well. Smaller cyprinids may be okay as well. Just note that when keeping with faster fish, just make sure that the Badis get their share of food because they are rather slow and picky eaters.

If you intend to breed them, have some inverted pots as they are purportedly cave spawners.

Here's a previous discussion for reference, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=42431

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I have a tank with these guys as well as bottom dwelling fish, like peacock and go obo gudgeons..once they are settled in they are quite aggressive when it comes to eating esp the older ones..
    I also have badis assamensis and badis badis in a communtity tank with tri. gouramis and angels and even a krib..get along fine and feed fine..when they are young they may be shy but not when adults...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the answers!

I have 2 Badis badis in my community tank with Puntius nigrofasciatus and P. titteya. They get along very well, although I watch carefully if the badids get enough food.

I have read a few times on different fora that there can be a change in the behaviour of the badids when you put in other fish and that they don't show their most beautiful colours that often.
    That's why I hesitate to put in other fish.

But if it's no problem I was thinking of Parambassis lala as tankmates.( If I can find them )
    Last edited by Kajsa12; 4th Oct 2008 at 05:43. Reason: extra information

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I say go for it and when you get your badis buxar, post some pics of your set up, always looking forward to see someone else with badis species