Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Red ramshorn snail dying?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my 2 red ramshorn have been shrinking into their shell a few days ago. yesterday i took out 1 and put into a container of clean water with duck weeds - today same, haven't come out of its shell. are they dying of old age??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Snails are known to hide in their shells for periods of time. They should come out after a few days of "hibernation".

Otherwise, then there may be a problem, could be an issue with water parameters or something else. Would be worthwhile to your water parameters if they have been in there too long, just in case.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i suppose you should be using aged water right? i'm using normal tap water(aged at least 2 days), and abit of algae/java moss(food) and you won't believe this, but i'm keeping a brown ramshorn in a 60ml bottle.. damn cute.. and they're surviving.. feeding them alot of vegetable and Hikari algae wafers.. but have to change the water everyday..

the problem might be also what other tank mates do you have. i used to place mine in a betta tank and the betta kept nipping them until they refused to come out.. i was afraid they might die of hunger, hence the separation.
    Last edited by silverwind2712; 28th Oct 2008 at 23:11. Reason: add

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i dont age my water. i add anti-chloramine. if i wc up to 50% of my guppy tank i use straight from the tap (no anti-chloramine). they are quite happy - i think partly because the tanks are mature with alot of plants. i had a couple of horned nerites snails die because they toppled upside down and my shrimps kept nibbling at them