Images
    Country
    Singapore

sources for brine shrimp eggs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i've been searching for brine shrimp eggs for the past week. didn't have any luck. seems that stocks are out. are there any other shops around that do stock on brine shrimp eggs? especially those from JBL labelled as JBL NovoTemia. just had a trifasciata spawn and i'm feeding them with NobilFluid at the moment. any information would be kindly appreciated.

P.S.: the locations of the shops would be really helpful. i don't mind travelling though. haha!
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    have u tried c328? heard there is a brand from USA, comes in a can.. doesnt come cheap though, cause its a big tin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i just got back from c328 just now. asked the aunty and she said no stock. hrm.. i did see that tin can a few weeks back. didn't buy it then cos i wasn't planning for my fish to spawn so quickly. i thought of starting off with daphnias first cos i can get em from yishun.

How about trying Lam Hong in AMK? Heard that their repackaged bbs has 90+% hatch rate

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yea dropping by at Lam Hong tomorrow. thanks for the info Vican. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A friend of mine recently bought a can of brine shrimp from petmart... think it was angel brand... he was pretty happy with it and the hatch rate.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen, any idea on how much the can of eggs cost?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    $12 at Petmart for a can of about 5 cm length cylinder. I wonder how long can it last.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought some from Pet Safari last month for $14 ??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kc, 5cm cylinders? u mean those like they use to package dried prune strips??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh... how to describe? Like a fish food container...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh those! i know liao. there's another small bottle type, really small. from AZOO brand. very ex for a very small bottle though. didn't buy it cos it was not worth the price.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Storm,

If you have many fry, it would be worthwhile buying the brine shrimp eggs from www.brineshrimpdirect.com. That's where I get my eggs from.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr Loh, how much did it cost for u to import the eggs? either in the case or the 16 ounce type as stated on the site? and did u get the SELCO thingy? cos i read an article on marine larviculture of food animals back when i was still in poly. it mentioned something about using HUFA to enrich the brine shrimp nauplii or baby before feeding them to the fish fry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr Loh, how much did it cost for u to import the eggs?
    ----------------
    I'm sorry, Storm. I can't remember. But it won't be economically wise to import your own brine shrimp eggs if you have only a few fry to raise. A 16 ounce pack will have enough eggs to raise millions of fry to adult stage. Coupled with the shipping costs, it won't be worth the money to buy the eggs from brineshrimpdirect.com unless you are a real fish breeder, someone like me []

I still have an unopened 16 ounce can of eggs in my refrigerator. I will have to open it soon, maybe sometime next week. Once opened, I will usually pour them into small film containers. If you are interested, I can sell you a container. Don't know how much it will be but it will definitely be cheaper than what you have to pay in the fish shops. No guarantee the eggs will hatch though, sometimes I also kenah played out

As for HUFA, I have no idea what it is. But you don't have to enrich the baby brine shrimp. With their yolk sacs still intact, they are already quite enriched naturally. Just remember to feed them to your fish as soon as they hatch or the shrimp will use up the yolk sacs. If you insist on giving your fish the best food, however, you can try feeding the shrimp with cod liver oil. No kidding. Cod liver oil is good for humans as well as shrimp. Yummy.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lol, i might just try that. i set up the hatchery as shown in your instructions on your website with a slight improvisation to the hanging thread part. i omitted the thread and use another half-bottle end to support with a hole cut in to accomodate the airline going to the gangvalve. easier for me cos i don't have any place to hang the bottle anyway. and the bottom half support would be good just in case it leaks somewhere and i don't need to clean up the mess afterwards. []

i might get the eggs from u and perhaps start my own culture of vinegar eels provided my mom doesn't know or i'm a dead man. haha! yup, considering the shipping fees its not feasible for people like me. i bought a vial of eggs from Lam Hong at $5 per vial. wanna try it out and see the hatch rate. the uncle showed me this can of eggs and he quoted the price of the can as $100. kinda steep for me.

on the sidenote, i have a spare 5 1/2 gallon tank and was wondering if i a trio of nothos would be fine in it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The vinegar eels are free even if you don't buy any fish or brine shrimp eggs from me. Actually, I'm quite sure your mom won't be squeamish about the eels. Unlike microworms, the eels live in a solution of apple vinegar cider and water. So although they wriggle too, they don't look so yucky.
    I love showing off the eels to the women who turn up at my house and so far, none of them has gone "EEK".

As for your 5 1/2 gallon tank, it should be more than enough space for a trio of Notho guentheries or Notho korthausae. These are the fish I have for sale at the present moment. But didn't you say once that what you like are the LyreTails? To tell you some good news, I managed to hatch my own eggs of the Aphyosemion australes yesterday. Own means the eggs came from my own fish. Whooppeee!!!!

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    guys, paisey to ask but what are brine shrimps? never seen them before or maybe seen them but unknown to me!![] are they the shrimps that are fed to(hate to say this) Luo Han!@##$T$^%#%#

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lol, in that case i might drop by at your place tomorrow if u don't mind since i'm on off from duty. btw, i'm supposed to get the apple cider from NTUC right?

btw, regarding killie keepers in the region, i used to email this guy called nonn panitvong. he's an avid killie and betta keeper from thailand. wonder if ya know him.

zulnaldo, brine shrimps are known as sea monkeys. they're those red things that swim around in the bag. i think the shops are selling them at $2 a bag. supposed to make the LH redder or so i heard. haha!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    guys, paisey to ask but what are brine shrimps?
    ----------------
    No need to paiseh. Brine shrimp are, as the name implies, shrimp that lives in marine water. Brine means salt or something like that. Shrimp is the same as prawn. Brine shrimp is sometimes sold in 7-11 stores as "Sea Monkeys". In fish shops, brine shrimp eggs are sold as "xia dan". In some fish shops, they have adult brine shrimps for sale too, at about $2 a bag, I think.

Actually, the brine shrimp is an amazing creature. It can reproduce itself 2 ways, either through eggs or giving birth to the young alive. When conditions are good, brine shrimp will give birth to live baby brine shrimps. When things are turning bad, for instance, if the pond where they live is going to dry up, the shrimp will start to lay eggs. And their eggs can remain dormant for years, just waiting for the right conditions to hatch and reproduce themselves again.

Never underestimate the tenacity small creatures have for life. When we are all dead and gone, the brine shrimp will still be around []

Loh K L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast