Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Planaria attacking cherry shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planaria attacking cherry shrimps?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just saw a planaria attack one of my adult cherries. It goes like this:

The shrimp was happily grazing and it stepped on one planaria accidentally. The planaria got stuck to one of its legs and the shrimp tried to shake it off by jumping and darting. Unfortunately, the planaria was very persistent and held on. Eventually, the shrimp got tired and just stood still.

Meanwhile, I could see the planaria crawl under the saddle and the shrimps started to shiver, very much like having fits. When I took out the shrimp, it was quite lifeless but I cannot think of any way to get the planaria out.

I know it sounds like a tall story but believe me, it is very REAL. We MUST get rid of the planaria - they are NOT angels. They will harm the shrimps.

Peng Kang Hill

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Planaria attack shrimp?? Then it must have been quite a big one? I thought planaria is pretty harmless to shrimps though irritating. Yaikss.... then better watch out .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    how to get of rid it? i see them in my cherry tank...are they really harmful?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are searching for ways to get rid of planaria, you can search the forum as there is a method on fishing out the planaria.
    ivan

Seeking For The True Tank

http://insider.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Read somewhere the planaria actually has some substance on its skin which is toxic to shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since the time I discovered these creatures, I have been patiently sucking them out one by one using a plastic dropper. I'd rather not use any medication, but that is of course a personal preference.

Peng Kang Hill

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Peng Kang Hill View Post
    Since the time I discovered these creatures, I have been patiently sucking them out one by one using a plastic dropper. I'd rather not use any medication, but that is of course a personal preference.

Peng Kang Hill
    bro i guess sooner or later you will be tired of it.Fishing method would be the best