Country
    Singapore

Curious abt CO2 setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

I just set up my CO2 sys, have following Q due to curiosity. Can anyone help ans them?

1. Why does the CO2 system need AC supply? I thought it is quite a mech system.
    2. At the location where the AC connection is, it is veeeery hot. Is it OK? or is it my wrong set up?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jedi,

I'm assuming that you are talking about a CO2 system where there is a CO2 tank involved. You are right to say that no electrical parts are needed for such a system. Basically the reduction in pressure is achieved mechanically.

Where electrical parts come in is in the use of the solenoid. The solenoid basically functions as a cutoff valve to switch on and off your CO2. This is usually attached to a timer, to allow the CO2 to be switched on as and when desired.

As to why it is hot I'm not sure.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    The CO2 setup needs ac power to operate the magnetic valve. You can have your setup operate mechanically (ie. manually by turning on/off the regulator daily), you can have a semi-auto setup by using a magnetic valve and regulator hook-up to a timer switch or a fully automatic system (setup same as semi-auto except the timer switch is replaced by a contunious PH controller). Whichever setup, it depends on your 'pocket'. With regard to CO2 bottle, if you have family,relatives or friends who operates fizzy drinks dispensing machine (eg. coffee shop,etc) you could use them as the drinks company usually supply a few bottles to these coffee shop operators for mixing with the drinks at no cost. Once the bottle is emptied you could get free top-up by returning to the drinks company thru the coffee shop. I had mine thru Tiger Bewery. However, these bottle are huge (75 cm in height & 20 cm in diameter) and they can hold about 9kg of CO2 gas. But if you have your personal bottle of that size you can top it up at SOXAL at Jln Buroh or at Kallang Place (the latter will take about 2 - 3 weeks). For a 9kg bottle it costs about $16, if your bottle is expired, it will cost your $18 for a hydrstatic test regardless the size (will last for 5 yrs) and make sure the bottle is of ISO standard because SOXAL will not topup bottle which is not.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah, thanks for the enlightenment, I remember now when I bought the CO2 I opted for a auto sys. That means I can sw it on & off with a timer right?

Anyway, how long should the co2 be on for a new setup? For the last 4Ds, it is on 24h![:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If u have a single timer, u can set it together wif ur lighting period.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.