Country
    Singapore

Apisto fans, please sign here

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey apisto fans,

think best if we can compile a list of guys interested in apisto and willing to trade species ard. this list oso be good when we have fry to sell or trade, i will oso post thread when I see new breeds in lfs

I have
    1) 1 pair of A. agassizii Alequer,
    2) A. a. Tefe - yellow (fry)
    3) A. sp 'rotkeil'
    4) A. a. 'red gold'
    5) A. cacautuoides 'redtail' F1 (fry)

looking for list
    1) A. bitaeniata (male & female)
    2) Taeniacara candidi blue/red(male & female) - Torpedo cichlid

looking for a fair trade or willing to top up with money

as most of my apisto r in my 6ft.. the fry r taken out b4 havent been id, mixture of cacatuoides and A. tefe's fry (had 2 batches spawning at the same time)

as my fry r still small, I have to wait till they get bigger or till i can id them

Sightings
    - Gan has A. sp 'rotkeil' (dun blame me if its not ) coz its very difficult to id an apisto.. these r F1

- H20 has a new batch of apisto coming in, according to Jacian

note - the image below r not my pics but from other webbys
    here is the A. Tefe I have or close to it
    Apisto Tefe

A. sp 'rotkeil'

A. a. 'alenquer'

Apisto gallery
    gallery1
    gallery2
    gallery3
    gallery4
    gallery5
    gallery6

Apisto Article
    article1
    article2
    article3
    article4
    article5
    article6

enjoy guys

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had stopped keeping apistos a year ago but feels like starting again with some free tanks. Managed to breed cacautuoides and nijsseni last time.

Do you guys know where majority of sg's apisto are now coming from? I know Gan's are wild caught but how about those in LFS. Not to be critical but I noticed that many apisto in LFS are deformed, I believed its a result of inbreeding. Many of the cacautuoides and borelli looks really weird.

2 years ago I had about 5 pcs of male bitaeniatas but could not find any females. Anyone has male cacautuoides close to 2 yrs old? They are really a sight to behold; I mean those double and triple red

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I get them mostly from Gan and H20, and yes, too much inbreeding, especially the cacatuoides.. for me, I prefer wild species to tankbred ones.. but sometimes, dun have much choice in SG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    think yihu is also bring in aspitos as well simon.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Have some old pics of my apisto to post, but don't seem to able to get them to appear. How do I post pics? I tried using the BB codes method but preview don't show pics.

Anyway some pics are here
    http://www.geocities.com/foxemty/index.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    david, yihu's apisto r common ones...

foxemty, for geocities trying change the file type to .txt (recommended by DEA), btw, nice super red?yellow? cacatuodies

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, those cacuatuoides are actually my first batch of successful apisto breeding. That why thats so many of them in the background[]

Their parent are double red; the patterning are at the dorsal and caudual. I not quite familiar with the terminology used now.I know there is the orange form etc. Whats a super red? I know the most sought after last time was the triple red, dorsal, caudual and anal.

I do notices that the redness of the cacuatuoides in LFS nowaday are very different. The intensity seem to be much stronger but the fish itself looks really weird and weak. Their spikes are not so nice also, those that have cacuatuoides will know what I saying

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/20/2002 2:21:14 PM

Simon, those cacuatuoides are actually my first batch of successful apisto breeding. That why thats so many of them in the background[]

Their parent are double red; the patterning are at the dorsal and caudual. I not quite familiar with the terminology used now.I know there is the orange form etc. Whats a super red? I know the most sought after last time was the triple red, dorsal, caudual and anal.

I do notices that the redness of the cacuatuoides in LFS nowaday are very different. The intensity seem to be much stronger but the fish itself looks really weird and weak. Their spikes are not so nice also, those that have cacuatuoides will know what I saying
    ----------------
    hmmmm triple red is the same as super red, classified by aqualog.. yes I do agree the species these days found in lfs looks weak... thats one of the reason y i prefer F1

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    am i intrested? *wonders*
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Hi Simon,
    your links to the galleries and articles have been a great help. Benetay,the articles you've written have also been really useful. As far as i know,not many LFS in the west area,or at least the more accessible ones bring in apistos. and the ones tt i have seen in some lfs do look rather weird and sick. Just have some questions,how do you lower KH from your water,heard tt when breeding,should have low pH and 0 kH. How is tt achieved? And also,how can we try to help strengthen the bonds between male and female apistos? heard also tt by adding dither fish can help strengthen bonds cos they will guard their territories together and guard fry(if there are any)

anyway, apistos i have currently are
    A.agassizii "Red Gold"-->female always eats eggs,even after 4,5 spawns.
    A.agassizii "Igrape" F1-->just got them yesterday,hope all goes well
    A.cacautoides "Orange Flash"-->my orange flash looks more yellow than orange and refuses to breed no matter how hard i try.

Cheers!

[] []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kubrich

here is some methods to lower yr PH
    1) peat moss
    2) ketampang leave
    3) blackwater extract

u r correct abt the dither fish, they do help with bonding or rather keep their basic instincts for being a parent and guarding their eggs... so far, wat i read is, pencilfish is the better ones to use

as for pairing up apisto, this varies alot, environment (tank, plants) i have seen and experience some hard cases.. where the male aint too happy with the females and start chasing her around... what I did especially for smaller tanks is, separate both fishes in other tanks or parition then reintroducing the male in once the female is ready (only tried once, but there was once when i introduce my hongsloi in and forgotten to take him out... the female was too aggressive and did some serious stressing and he died) u gotta observe, role switching, before and during spawning

coloration of some species is dependent on the acidity of the water...

when it comes to egg eating, u either have to artifically hatch them or u can give her a few more trys.. but on a serious tone, some females aint good mothers...

Feedback Score
    Thanx Simon,but how bout kH,how do i lower kH? Heard tt if you boil your water first then let it cool down tt should bring kH down to 0,then after tt can add peat and let it soak for a week,if not just add black water extract after doing WC,to bring the pH down. and if i do get ADA amazonia soil,how much must i put in for a 1.5 ft tank and 1ft tank to bring pH down,cos i already have nisso volca soil inside which doesn't do squat for lowering pH in my tanks and was thinking of sharing with a couple of friends to buy the amazonia soil but tt would mean i would only get 3 kg worth.which is probably enough to cover only the top surface of both tanks. saw at biotope tt they have only a thin layer of ada amazonia gravel and some peat.if tt works will just using a thin layer suffice? []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    once u lower yr pH, yr kH will go down as well.. I do not lower my pH for my tanks...

Feedback Score
    Hey all,

i am an apistos maniac too...currently have a pair of A.Hongsloi & Aggasizzi "rio tapajos".

Last night (12pm) my tapajos had successfuly hatched a bunch of fries...the female is seriously guarding them now.[]

cheers
    ron

Feedback Score
    Congrats ronig, i think my agas female has eaten her fry again cos i really cannot spot any wrigglers or fry. but she's still very yellow and today is the 5th day since she's laid her eggs(last sunday).hopefully in some time i'll finally manage to spot fry.All the best ronig,hope your fry grow to be big health beautiful agas tapajos![]

Feedback Score
    Hi kubrich,

surprisingly...my pair also spawned last sunday..till now it took them 4 good days to hatch the eggs.

i have heard some take about a week to hatch...so dont give up yet buddy

keep a close observation for the next 2 days...good luck

cheers

ron

Feedback Score
    i have a pair of viejita...
    now move them into a new tank n hoping 2 add a few pair more...

Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i not a die hard fan of apisto. But really enjoy
    their color and behavior.
    Currently i have A.Tri and double red.
    Setting up a 1 ft office tank so that i can watch over them every day.
    Free -aircon in the office too.
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    i'm not really an expert but i don' think it's a gd idea to put both of them into a 1 ft tank,as they can be pretty territorial and all they might start to fight and shred each other's fins. but thats just my 2 peso's worth.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,
    Thinking of setting up a mini tank for smaller cichlids in my office(in KL). It will probably be a one footer or one and a half feet.

I'm think of this outfit to go with it.
    1) a tank and light(of cos)
    2) liberty 100 or 150 as the filter media. Will add some coral chips into it.
    3) a mini internal power head to create some current.
    4) probably some sand, as long as they are filter safe
    5) some rocks, I can pick behind my residential area, Puchong, theres a granite quarry there and all kinds of rocks been discarded or drop off those trucks along the way.(will do the vinegar test of cos)
    6) probably get some small and cute cichlids, maybe 2 female one male. Any to recommend? The smaller adult size the better, must be nice of cos.
    7) Not getting any aeration devices as the liberty proof sufficient for my 16" tank in Singapore with about 20 fishloads(about 12-14 tetras, 2 otos and 3 corys)

Anything else to add? Any advise?
    Many thanks in advance

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast