Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: External filter output pipe placement in a planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

External filter output pipe placement in a planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, was wondering where you guys normally place the output pipe of your external filter? Previously mine was outputting such that the background plants are swaying to one side as the current from the output was a bit strong...Now I change it to outputting it against the tank wall...is it a viable option?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    same here, I turn the pipe to flow against the glass

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As my flow rate is not very strong , I just let it flow 45 degree into the center of the tank, with the co2 diffuser directly under it, such that when the bubbles rises, they get pushed back again, causes further diffusion.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my case, I prefer to place it at the back wall and let it blow along the wall.

/--------------------------------/
    / ==== -> /
    / /
    / /
    / /
    / /
    / /
    / /
    /--------------------------------/

I had tried several ways. The best so far is the above and place the output tube somewhere at the mid-height of the tank.

Advanatage. The whole tank will be kept very calm, I can see the plants' bubbles rise vertically.

Have fun.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

A bit side track...

Recently with the coming raining season, I noticed there are more mosqitoes everywhere!

So with the output blowing against the wall, the result is having quite a calm water without much water movement. Will that attracts the mosqitoes to breed in my tank.

Note!
    I am not worried about having mosqitoes lavae in my tank as they can become my fish food! But what I am worried is about the mosqitoes everywhere in my house feeding on us! Why? I had lots of mosqitoes now in my house and my record was killing off 14 of them in one night! I am afraid that the minimum water movement of my tank that attracts them in!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ninjafly, could be that around your area there's some puddles of stagnant water. It has been raining daily.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ninjafly, get Baygon mosquito coil. Its very effective in repelling the nasty pests, never fail me since army days.[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Or citronella plants, candles or oil... much better smelling. But... shall we get back to the topic matter?

For my 6 foot tank , I split the output of my filter into 2 outlets... one on each end, one a rainbar, the other a normal Ehiem outlet pipe. The output rate is quite reduced, even before I jacked in an external CO2 reactor. They blow directly into or over a mass of Hygrophilia polysperma each... hardly any violent swaying of the plants. Filter is a Ehiem 2250 with a flow rate of 1000l/hr.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.