Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to breed Discus fish?

How to breed Discus fish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently, a friend of mine gave me 6 discus abt. 2-3" big. However, I noticed 2 of them have quite serious black spots on their face and body, why is it so? Can they be cured? Sometimes, I can see that they are bitting each other(fighting) using their mouths and also chasing other discus as well, is it common, why? What size of tank should I placed my 6 discus? Currently, I'm putting them in a 1ft tank. Do you think a 2 ft tank is sufficient? What type of filter(internal or overflow)should I use? Normally, how big will the discus pair off?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi chrisg

welcome to the forum....

the black spots, do they look more like freckles and scattered like pepper?...if yes it is the coloration predominately with pigeon blood hybrid strain and is not a dieases. chances likely it will stay with them forever.

As for the fighting and chasing, this is also a common trait amoung cichlids and are forming their social pecking order and out of the six, one dominate(alpha)discus will emerge, and there will also be one that will end as the butt that gets kicked around. This squabbling will be magnified especially when housed in small tanks.

the fish to water ratio for discus is 1 fish to 10 gallons of water...this means that with 6, it is advisable to house them in a 60 to 70 gallon tank with a tank length of 4 feet as a minimum guide. You can house them in a 2 feet but more often then not you will end up with lots of heartache see your discus trashing each other, and getting stunted due to insufficient space to grow.

As far as filter is concern, it will be good if a canister filter is used and if your decision is for a 4ft tank, than a ehiem 2228 or its equal will be good.

A discus normally pairs off when they are between one to one and a half years...size is not the concern as some adult discus may be small due to stunting. But if you must know, taking that stunting is not the factor, breeding size should be landing at 6 inches in diameter.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    HI Chrisg, I am not an expert on Discus, but I have been doing some research on it before I get into it. There are some good sites out there like:-
    1. http://www.dphnet.com (Discuis Page Holland),
    2. http://www.zestweb.com (Local Discus enthusiast with good info and links)

IMO, you should seriously consider whether you want to keep the Discus you have or not as it is not an easy task. From what I know, 6 discus in a 1ft tank is definitely not suitable. Heck, even a 2 ft tank is not enough as they can grow to several inches big (if they survive). Then, there are things like the water parameters to consider (such as low pH and warm temp (29-30 degrees) etc. Also, they are very fussy about water quality etc. Not meaning to be discouraging to a beginner, but these are the plain facts.

Soon you will find that the equipment you require will set you back several hundred bucks (at least you didnt have to pay for the fish!). You just gotta ask yourself if they are worth it and the time you have to put in to keep them alive. If you are really serious, then go for it and enjoy! Else, I would advise to pass them on to somebody else who can provide them a better home. Just my 2 cents worth.

Feedback Score
    Hi David, didnt see your post, must have been just before mine hit the web. Enjoy your outing at GAN's?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi mphill

no problems on the posting thingy

i enjoyed the company of the guys today....it makes the outing more fun...but didnt enjoy my visit to gan coz only can get two more long nose angel and thats all....gian the flameback bleeding heart which alan koh got ....the checkerboard cichlid, aspitos, tefegreen, a new sub-species of altums....ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!! think its time for a new tank![]
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    new subspecies of altum ?? how it looks like?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi chcs

the mouth has the usual superior mouth but not as high...finage is not 90 degree but at 45 degree....size according to gan will be bigger than the regular altums...looks a bit reddish though
    [email protected]

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice and I'll look into it seriously.
    Hmmm....now then I realise it's not so easy to keep discus.[]

Feedback Score
    Hi Chris, That's the spirit! Dont give up, just post your questions here and we will help u get along with your discus. However, be prepared to spend some money and dont be disheartened if there are some casualities, take it as part of the learning curve. HTH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to breed Discus fish?

hey one question .. i am also a newbie to discus chrisg is .. so i want to find out the breed of my discus fish .. how can i do that? Is there any website that shows u pictures of discus and their breeds???