Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Will blue shrimps kill my Corydoras?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Will blue shrimps kill my Corydoras?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Had just gotten in my tank a blue shrimp. I had corys ant otos in my tank too. I saw it trying to pinch my fishes once in a while. I do not know whether it will be able to catch any of the fishes and thus killing them. I surely don't that to happen.

Sigh, bought the shrimp on impulse. Really hope it will gel into my tank community.

Any of you people out there can comment if I should keep the shrimp in my tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sometimes I see my shrimps disturbing my oto, then the oto will just swim away. At least oto is shrimp-friendly. Should be ok.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I have my reservations regarding "blue shrimp killing corydoras" if you are referring to the dwarf species. You only have to worry about losing one shrimplet or two to your corydoras instead but so far, I haven't seen any trouble between my shrimps and the corydoras habrosus which i raised in my shrimp breeding tank.

greetings,
    Shi Xuan
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it a dwarf blue shrimp or a blue crayfish/lobster? Never seen any of my shrimps attacking my fishes - especially my leopard cory.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Where did you get your blue shrimps from? I have seen Macrobrachium spp. being offered as blue tiger shrimp, so just want to make sure these are not the ones you have gotten.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh ya... never thought of that... yup, which blue shrimps are you talking about?

I have bought the Macrobrachium sp. before a few weeks back, labelled as blue tiger shrimps (from Polyart), but both have gone to heaven . These are slightly more than 1 inch big and they do look aggresive and may pinch your fish, though I did not encounter this (because looking at their nature, I separated them). You did mention pinch??

I also have dwarf blue shrimps and assumed you were talking about these. These are harmless to your fishes.
    Last edited by beetroot; 29th Nov 2008 at 02:24.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all

It's labelled as Blue tiger shrimp. Bought it from Qian hu. It is 4 to 5 cm long diregarding the pincers. Anyway, it tried to pich my fishe only when I first introduce it into the tank. It has since found a hiding place (in fact, I had a hard time searching for it). Never come out now unless I disturb the hiding place.

So it lives as an isolated life and not disturbing my fishes anymore.
    It has 2 small pincers. I saw some in QH with a bigger pincer at one side. Is my shrimp a female?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Okay, you have most certainly bought some kind of Macrobrachium sp., opportunistic shrimps that eat anything their pincers can grab hold hold of.

While I don't think they will kill your Corydoras, they may however inflict wounds, and cause stress to them (thus vulnerable to secondary infections, that may be lethal). I really can't tell how safe are smaller fishes with them, but personally, I won't be comfortable with them.

Furthermore, I suspect that these will grow really big, may be up to twice or more the size that they are now at. They have those pincers for a reason.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I just bought 4 blue tiger shrimps a few days ago and put them in my shrimp tank with cherry shrimp and amano and 5 galaxy rasboras, one has died but the other 3 are still doing ok. I didnt observe any violent behavior against their tankmates, however I also did not observe them eating the shrimp food i feed. Anybody care to share what do these shrimps eat?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i know this is OT, but just want to warn everyone that sometimes Macrobrachiums mixed with yamatos. i have seen this in at least 2 pet shops

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, and they sell as yamatoes? then if you want to buy blue tiger shrimp should get from those shops cos yamatos are sold cheaper right? anyway i think it is quite easy to differentiate as blue tiger shrimps have pincers..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hais. my blue tigers died. I guess cherries are still the hardiest..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    erm, xianghao, which tiger shrimp are you talking about?

the Macrobrachiums sp. they are talking about looks different from Caridina cantonensis sp. Blue Tiger.

they are two different species. Macrobrachiums sp. is the one with pincers.
    Caridina cantonensis sp. Blue Tiger, on the other hand, is selectively bred from Tiger Shrimp. (dwarf species) and looks like most dwarf shrimps. ( I haven't seen pincers on these before!)

correct me if i'm wrong.
    Last edited by Luc Tango; 5th Dec 2008 at 20:33. Reason: additional details

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    mine are or should i say 'were' the macrobrachium sp. one.. i wonder whether anybody has successfully reared and bred them before. The pattern on their bodies look quite nice.