Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Filter you prefer most?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic

160 41.67%
  • Ecco

49 12.76%
  • Pro

35 9.11%
  • Pro2

79 20.57%
  • Pro3

61 15.89%
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Thread: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    As for the amount of media the Eheim 2215 can hold, based on listed specs it can contain up to 4 liters of filter media, so you probably need to get more media to fill it up. Take into account the coarse sponge and fine filter wool layers will also already take up some space too. Try not to over-stuff the canister too much as that will restrict and slow down flow, which will decrease the overall efficiency.
    Thanks Bro UA. I am trying to aim for a perfect amount for both mech and bio media to fill up the container, do not want to have excess because i do not have the intention of getting more tanks.

if i get too little, then it is very empty. so i am thinking 2lit of matrix, 500g of mech media plus the tray and sponge shld be nice. (I go and try)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eheim Canister Filter Comparison

Thought I would drop by and share smth I recently learnt from a few German fish forums. Been trying it out for a few months and I'm sold.

Water in Most of the eheim canisters flow from bottom upwards. The recommended media arrangement (assuming 3 trays) are as follows:

(Bottom most) tray 1 = mechanical filtration [could be sponge or eheim' mech pro media] -> tray 2 = mechanical or bio media -> tray 3= bio media + white floss pad (top most)

However most German fish keepers do the following instead: they place the white floss pad above the mech filter media. So for example in my case where I use 1 mech + 2 bio media ratio, it is as follows:

(Bottom most) tray 1 = coarse sponge pad + white floss pad on top -> tray 2 = bio media (I use biohome) -> tray 3 = bio media (I use substrate pro + purigen on top (top most)

And I guess it makes sense. We know the general principle of having mechanical filtration before biological filtration. Moving the floss pad to the bottom most tray simply builds on that.

Pros:
    - no reduction in fine filtration capacity
    - I find that my bio media in tray 2 and 3 stay significantly cleaner for a longer period

Con:
    - being at the bottom tray, it's more hassle if you wanna swap out just the floss pad.
    - just remembered another: I find that I need to wash out/replace the white filter pads more often. My guess is that in the usual arrangement, the bio media helps with some of the mechanical filtration, and so there's less to clog the floss pad. With the floss pad at tray 1, the floss pad has to do more of the mechanical filtration work. Although this results in more replacement/washing of the floss pad, this is accompanied by the second pro above.

Sharing for info. Any thoughts appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheKiwi; 1st Feb 2017 at 20:44.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to be such a party pooper but you know all these can be solved with a sump because it isn't a hassle at all to remove the white floss pad from a sump and generally in sumps you can have multiple layers of mechanical filtration before the biological and Chemical filtration (for me I use Malta, Coarse sponge and then white polyester floss) So I am replacing all my canister filter units with DIY sumps for the simple reason of convenience and flexibility. I know it is risky if the sump leaks but if you do a good job it can be an extremely rewarding system.

Just sharing my ideas!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    Sorry to be such a party pooper but you know all these can be solved with a sump because it isn't a hassle at all to remove the white floss pad from a sump and generally in sumps you can have multiple layers of mechanical filtration before the biological and Chemical filtration (for me I use Malta, Coarse sponge and then white polyester floss) So I am replacing all my canister filter units with DIY sumps for the simple reason of convenience and flexibility. I know it is risky if the sump leaks but if you do a good job it can be an extremely rewarding system.

Just sharing my ideas!

Ah yes. I've been meaning to set up a sump or two. But space constraint limits me to canisters for the time being. Figured for the rest of us canister users, this is useful.

Coincidentally, I was reading through GreatWave Engineering's guide, and check it out! Same thing!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Theoretically it is correct, but to most users it might not be the most feasible way.
    Sump users like me we just change/replace filter wool during every water change, but i am sure canister user won't be able to do that week in week out.
    Depending on the load, in 2 weeks you will be seeing a reduction in flow rate and strain will be on the motor.

Which is probably why ehiem arrangement of the media and the claims of you need to rinse the media after a few months

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@TheKiwi ~ You brought up a good point. I've thought about this before and as you yourself know, by putting the white filter wool in the bottom compartment, you'll clog up the filter faster. Actually the way manufacturers recommend on how to put the various medias in a canister filter is flawed because the right way is what you have suggested or done. Unfortunately the general recommendation by manufacturers causes the bio-media to be clogged up and needing it to be changed annually (depending on individual) cos the dirt/waste is not properly removed before flowing to the bio-media but this is also the best option given that this arrangement gives you a longer time interval between filter maintenance.

The best filter is a Sump but if space is a constraint than get an Overhead or a Hang-On-Back filter to use as a pure mechanical filter in addition to your canister. That way you just have to clean out the Overhead or HOB filter during your weekly/fortnightly water changes without having to constantly open up the canister.

My advice to fish hobbyists is to keep things simple so that your weekly/fortnightly maintenance is quick and simple, leaving you more time to relax and enjoy watching your fishes.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Totally agree.

Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post
    Theoretically it is correct, but to most users it might not be the most feasible way.
    Sump users like me we just change/replace filter wool during every water change, but i am sure canister user won't be able to do that week in week out.
    Depending on the load, in 2 weeks you will be seeing a reduction in flow rate and strain will be on the motor.

Which is probably why ehiem arrangement of the media and the claims of you need to rinse the media after a few months
    I have a 2 feet tank and uses 2215. Now I added a prefilter and maintenance is a breeze. I don’t even need to touch the 2215.

Feedback Score
    Images

Agreed. Using a prefilter definitely help in maintenance of canister. I'm using one similar to sunsun but transparent, the Taobao seller claim that it's from same manufacturer of sunsun, but sold under different name - Jia Lu. I'm using the "magic mat" as well, able to remove fine particle in water column.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi All, does pre-filter reduce the flowrate remarkably?

Feedback Score
    Images

It does reduce the flow but hard to quantify it. I'm using 1500lph canister + prefilter for 3ft, just nice based on my observation.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For eheim pro3, anyone encounters difficulty to remove the hose filter adapter from the filter head after using it for a few months? The unlocking mechanism is not as smooth as a new one. Whenever I want to was the filter media, it takes me a Long while to detach it after pushing the red button. Anyone has any remedy?

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546