Thread: Raising Baby Brine Shrimp (BBS)

Feedback Score

Raising Baby Brine Shrimp (BBS)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Just for you information, I am currently raising BBS to adult size for food for my killies. The BS will reach adult size in less than 4 weeks depending on the availability of food. This is the 3rd batch of BS I am raising. For the first and second batch I cultured green water for them to feed on. The recent batch I am using both liquid fry for marine coral and green water. I grow them in small population; the population size is about what you see in a packet ($3.00/pack) BS sold in LFS. Do not over populate the culture or it will crash. I do 100% water change every week. The benefit of using green water culture is the culture will not stink!

Since I had stop feeding tubifex worms completely to avoid parasites, this has become a wonderful food source for me. The killies love it!

I will do a short write-up with photograph and post it on my website

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Hi Sia Meng,

I was told spirulina was a good food for the brine shrimp. I went shopping and I gave up because all the spirulina I could find was more expensive than the brine shrimp. So I used the green foam found on the water surface of my Discus tank and the BBS seem to like it.

I haven't cultured them to maturity, but it sounds rather time consuming, but definitely parasite free. Will look out for your write-up.
    Alex

N. Rachovii and some Discus

Feedback Score
    Yes Alex, you are right about spirulina. It is very expensive and really really nutritious! I have tried using Spirunlina before; the BS growth is about the same as using green water culture. Why I don't recommend it then? You will need to change water more often as it will stink the water. (This is my own experience, maybe I overfeed) You will never have the problem of overfeeding with green water. Infact I use green water for my freshly hatch fry and even use it to culture daphnia. (There will also be a write-up on green water and daphnia; so far my daphnia culture is not very successful)

Green water culture is sufficient for normal growing. 2 hours before feeding BS to the fish, i enrich it with spirulina, so as the fish will get freshly enrich BS. I read an article that BS empty their gut every 2 hours, thus you have to feed the fish immediately after 2 hours of enrichment. Also mentioned in the article that adult brine shrimp has little nutrition value to fish, it is recommended to enrich them before feeding. So when you buy BS from LFS, enrich them first or else you will be feeding empty shell to your fish. (Seems like the whole content of my write up is here already!!)

There is another enrichment powder call “ NatuRose Astaxanthin Powder”. It is said to be more potent than spirulina. I forget to order it the last time I ordered my brineshimp eggs from the states. It will be too expensive to delivery. It is not expensive to buy from USA, it is around US$12.00 for 2.5 ounce pack.

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Hi Sia Meng,

I will look out for it. Is it found in the Pharmacies? Get you the bottle. If I need next time, I can get someone to send it to me.
    Alex

N. Rachovii and some Discus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought a bottle of Spirulina from Petmart a few years ago for $8. I still have about half a bottle left. When I was buying the Baby Plankton from the fish shop in Yishun, I also saw Spirulina on sale for $10 a bottle.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, it was $8 when I last saw it there. Either they must have found out the market price for it or it was selling like hot cake.

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

The article is posted up already. I have not taken any pictures yet, but will do so when the brine shrimp reach adult size. If you notice any mistakes please contact me.

http://mykillies.tripod.com/PMBS.htm

Thanks and regards
    Siameng
    [/url]
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

anybody read this article before?

Raising and Growing Large Brine shrimp
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score

This is brine shrimp at day 7. Notice how green the water is.
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Sorry don't know what happen, always not able to post the image. I tried the preview and it was ok before i post. Don't know why.

Sorry again
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List