Country
    Singapore

New Shop

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

anybody been to this new shop, Eco Culture? Located at Eminent Plaza, Lavender.

Seems that they are carrying killies.

Fish List at Eco Culture
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Went there today, saw the fish. Female are available too but I doubt the correct indentity of the female Simp. constainciae. Look more like female Notho of some species?? Thought of getting the Aphanius mento but again, can't be sure if there are any female . No harm go see it yourself though..

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was there with a friend this evening. The shop is nice but the display tanks are not set up yet. They have quite a good variety of aquatic plants and fishes. There were some killies on sale with females. Turaco was right about the constainciae. I saw a lone male but the females in the tank were definitely not Simp. constainciae.

They have the Notho patrizi and Notho rachovii too. I would have bought a trio of the patrizi if the fish had been more healthy but the fish don't look too good. They were selling the killies for $9 each.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I would be concerned if people start putting different Killi species of different sexes together in the same tank and selling them as pairs. The cross breeding is going to cause problems with stocks that we work with.

I personally would be more cautious about where I buy my fish.
    Alex

N. Rachovii and some Discus

Feedback Score
    Alex, that’s my main concern too. Most Nothobranchius cross breed easily and I had seen it in my all male Nothobranchius planted tank. My Korthausae (yellow) tried to sexually harass my smaller Albimarginatus! Just imagine even males of difference species thought they are of the same species and tried to breed. I believe lots of us are beginners (including myself) and might not be able to tell the different Nothobranchius females apart?

Other point to note, most LFS might not have experience with killiefish and they might not know the proper population and collection codes (Population and collection codes are very important). You might have difficulties exchanging your eggs from you fellow killiefish hobbyist.

Can you just imagine if someone make a post in killietrader or Business New Letter from the AKA selling Nothobranchius Rachovii without collection code and you ordered because you thought you had seen that fish (Bera 9 before. What turn out was a black fish! In a way he is not wrong, that fish is also a Nothobranchius Rachovii but the population code might be MOZ 99/10 and not the Bera 98 you usually see. Who to blame then?

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's different species, then crossbreeding would not take place. I still don't think that it's wise for us to buy fish from local LFS if you intend to spread the fish around. I've encounter a few incidents where the shop sells me a trio from different subspecies and after 2 months of hardwork, I've to destroy the fishes and all the eggs! What a bad experience! But if it's a shop where you know the owner well and he indicates where the fish is from, then the risk would be minimise.

Another point that we have to take note is that the fish in local LFS do not have proper collection code tag to them. This would be a problem if you trade your eggs with overseas hobbyists as most of the time, they would want to know the collection code of the fish. I really do not wish to see what happens in Taiwan to happen here. Where most of the fish kept by the hobbyist in Taiwan do not have collection code and they are facing lots of problems trading fish eggs with hobbyist aboard.

If you're a keen hobbyist and intend to spread the fish or eggs around, then you should constder taking the risk by ordering eggs from aboard or obtain the fish or eggs among hobbyist locally.

This is just my personal point of view.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just come back from Pet Mart - Serangoon Ave 1. Saw few killies species, selling in plastic bag.

Feedback Score
    I was at Eco Culture during my lunch time. Quite a nice shop.

The N. Rubripinnis might have been classified wrongly. N. Rubripinnis is not a red fish, if not mistaken it only has a tail and head. The fish looks more like a N. sp aff Rubripinnis to me. It should be the same fish that was selling at Biotope a couple of months back.

Regards,
    Siameng
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh well, was hoping this lfs could get their killies correct as they were saying on aquaticquotient.com that their sources is from USA.
    Wonder what we could do?
    Zulkifli