Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: killies in planted tank, Salt? or no salt?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

killies in planted tank, Salt? or no salt?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi

Just did a small 1 feet cube for my Rac the only plant in there is Blyxia japonica , so far still decided if i should add salt?? should i?
    KL and Au do you guys add salt to your planted tanks too??
    Thanks!!

Jason

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I usually don't. But as we all know that RAC is very prone to velvet, if my tank is crowded with RAC all add some salt to my tank once in a month. I don't feed the killifish in my planted tank with brineshrimps. This is because I do not wish to see hydra to appear in my planted tank. Remember not to overcrowd your tank with RAC. My tank once hit by velvet and I used medication to treat the fish. Before I can cure the fish, another problem arise.

Somehow the medication will induce the growth of black hair algae on the plants. Anyone can comment on this? I'm using Aquariuim Munster medication.

Anyway, I've managed to solve the black hair algae in my tank. :wink:
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jason,

Since you have only one plant in your rachovii tank and the tank is so small at that, I would suggest you go ahead and add salt. I don't add salt to my planted tank because it's a big tank and there are many valuable plants inside.

One problem with using the Aquarium Munster medication is that the filters have to be switched on and off on alternate days. When I turned off the filters in my main tank and also switched off the fans, the health of my plants deteriorated rapidly. The moss turned black in patches and algae started growing all over the ferns. Unlike what Au experienced, I did not see algae being eradicated.

By the way, Au, the Hydra won't come with the brine shrimp. It's only when you already have Hydra that you should stop feeding brine shrimp. As far as I know, Hydra comes with Daphnia.

Loh K L