Thread: Flying Eggs

Feedback Score

Flying Eggs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I start this topic for breeders to share their experiences on sending eggs. Killiefish is not all about breeding and appreciating them; it is also about sending your eggs to people overseas who are interested in them. However these techniques must be right as to avoid disappointments.

I hope the following will be covered

1) Packing for annual and non annual (tricky for non annuals), egg development (fresh or eyed up eggs)
    2) Regulations (any bad experience on sending eggs, eg. Confiscated by customs, or any advises on countries that are extremely strict)
    3) Advise on wetting date. (Climate difference, thus incubation period differs, what applies here doesn’t apply in other country. Eg We wet Rachovii here after 2 months but in USA hobbyist wet after 4 to 5 months of incubation)
    4) Payment (discussed in quite a number of post)

This is just a brief guide.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have never tried sending non-annual eggs to foreign countries because as Sia Meng said, it can be tricky. Eggs of non-annuals have much shorter incubation periods so the timing has to be perfect.

Annual eggs have longer incubation periods so chances of them surviving the journey are very much higher. I have sent their eggs to friends living as far as the US of A and quite a few friends managed to hatch them successfully. I usually bag the peat with a plastic bag and seal the opening with a lighter. Before inserting the bag into a padded envelope, I will wrap it with aluminium foil. I believe the foil helps to keep the temperature inside the bag constant.

This is a picture of the padded envelope which I usually use. It's available at all post offices for 50 cents each.

I will also fill in the green customs form (on the left of the picture) because the postal authorities in other countries are usually stricter than those in Singapore. If the customs form is not filled, chances are the envelope will be opened and the contents destroyed. Under "description", I will write "Eggs in peat, for scientific study". Under "value", I will put in "no commercial value". I tick the box that says "gift"

Besides receiving eggs incubated in peat, I have also received eggs that were incubated in water. Sometimes, they come in film cannisters but someone also sent me annual eggs in test tubes. The test tubes are small but have an advantage over film cannisters in that they are transparent. So even without opening the lids, you can tell if there are eggs just by holding the test tubes up to the light.

Here's a picture of the test tubes:

I'm quite sure such test tubes are available in Singapore. Probably the pharmacies or shops that sell laboratory equipment will have them.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks Loh for sharing.

One of the clauses of The AKA Code Of Ethics states that the eggs should be shipped only when fertility is apparent. Do they mean that when eggs fertility is apparent = eyed up eggs?

I had received eggs that were sent to me immediately after collection and the hatch rates were better than those eggs that were kept for about a month (eyed up eggs) before sending. This is for annual eggs.

Most of the breeders from the USA claim that they only send fresh eggs. Any comments on this?

Of course when non annuals are concern, I will still prefer the breeder to ensure that fertility is apparent before sending. As one fungus infertile egg will cause the rest to fungus even though the eggs are fertile.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    One of the clauses of The AKA Code Of Ethics states that the eggs should be shipped only when fertility is apparent. Do they mean that when eggs fertility is apparent = eyed up eggs?
    I take that as embryotic or in an early stage of development. For non annuals, you risk hatching enroute.

Most of the breeders from the USA claim that they only send fresh eggs. Any comments on this?
    It may be possible that lesser developed or fresh eggs have a greater tolerance to shipping abuse (handling/weather etc)?

Of course when non annuals are concern, I will still prefer the breeder to ensure that fertility is apparent before sending.
    Fungus aside, be mindful of the shorter incubation period.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee