Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Yamoto Shrimp

Feedback Score

Yamoto Shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    REcently i bought a several yamotos for my 2 ft aquarium tank,but after 2 days most of them die leaving only a pathetic few.AS a super newbie,i cant solve this mystery.
    That why i appeal to all pros here for an answer and solution[:]
    Thanx

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    We can only help if you provide as much information as possible about your tank. PLease refer to the sticky thread "Newbie planted tank help" for reference. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi OrcWarrior,

If yours is a newly setup tank, Yamatoes maybe sensitive to your tank conditions and that explains the reason for it.

I would suggest that you mature your tank first and plant in more water plants. For my first experience with Yamatoes, they even jumped out of my tank!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    REcently i bought a several yamotos for my 2 ft aquarium tank,but after 2 days most of them die leaving only a pathetic few.AS a super newbie,i cant solve this mystery.
    That why i appeal to all pros here for an answer and
    ----------------
    Hi there,

Shall try to help alittle here,

1)Yamatos are sensitive to CO2 too high a level will cause them to die off fast. Some people use shrimps to test their CO2 level sometimes.

2)Your water condition is not so good or not mature enough. Have you gone thru the cycling period of your tank with trash fish if you wish.

3)You might not have properly placed them in your tank after you got home. Example did you leave the bag in the water for 15mins and did you pour some of your tank water for them to get used to the water conditions first.

4)Lack of oxygen. Meaning that in when they are still in the fish shop they might be used to max oxygen pumping thru the tank as a case they find it difficult to live in a much less oxygen tank.

5)The shrimps are not healthy in the first place.

If you find none of the above useful I'm sorry please look for more help.

Anyway yamatos are pretty hardy shrimps and rather bossy. And they are sacvengers they will eat left over food for fish and eat dead fish(most shrimps do).

Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1)Yamatos are sensitive to CO2 too high a level will cause them to die off fast. Some people use shrimps to test their CO2 level sometimes.
    hi sims

errrhhh where ever did you get this information from?....in the event of CO2 poisoning in any given tank, it will knock off fishes faster than it will knock out yamatoes...to the point where some people use shrimps to test their CO2, i am not too sure as there are CO2 test kits and long term CO2 indicators around.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the cause of death yamatoe can mean alot of things, though very difficult to pinpoint the problems, but here is my experiences with them

1) temperature above certain deg. (i experience death at 30deg, at 29deg, they move near the surface)
    2) high nitrate, unstable tank parameters (usually due to new tanks, high nitrate from overfeeding(this I cannot confirm))
    3) transportation shock
    4) acclimatisation

yamatoe aint that hardy too me, I found malayan last longer in my tank... though most of my shrimps are target for my apistogramma, I just recently introduce another batch of XXL yamatoe, hoping that size matters

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    David, I think Sims got his information possibility from Amano's journals or online stuff. Amano mention in his aqua journal 33 that experience aquarist use yamatoes leg movements as a judge for the level of CO2..too sluggish a movement from them means CO2 overdose (if fish are more sensitive why don't amano say they use fish gasping instead?...Still thinking though..)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi peter

thanks for the info....its strange coz the last time my kiddy nuked my tank with CO2 by accidentally setting my PH controller at PH5, my tetras, aspitos, and even cories where gasping for air at the surface...i lost 60% of my tetras, 1 aspito, 4 cories, but none of my yamatoes died.....

however this only happened once so it may not be conclusive........and perhaps it was just luck that my none of my yamatoes died[:]
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Hey!!! alamak the 2 surviving yamoto shrimp is like being half cooked.The colouration of its main body is like those cooked prawn and my emperor is trying to eat it lah!!! what happen dun tell me its too acidic hehehe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi O.W.

you may want to test your water for NO2
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    You mean the Present of NO2 is the culprit,which murdered my yamoto shrimps.Surprisingly,My tetra is still reasonably active.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup....yamatoes are extremely sensitive to NO2
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi O.W.

Did you edit your posting?....i dont remember you mentioning anything about your tetras.....anyway since it is there, tetras do have a higher tolerance for NO2.
    [email protected]