Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fry Missing

Feedback Score

Fry Missing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Do snails eat killi fry? My fry missing each day and I can't find any dead bodies around. I wonder what happen!!!
    Today I found an insect which looks like a water dragon... the body looks the same as a moss. around 2 inches. I wonder if my fry missing because of this insect?

Someone please advice. Thank you.
    Jennifer Ooi
    Living in Pearl of Orient

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fry Missing

Jennifer,

Oh no!!! I think you have a dragonfly nymph in your tank. This creature has perfect camouflage and can change its body colour to match the plants its hiding in. If you saw one, chances are there are more in your tank.

Dragonfly nymphs eat fry. They have powerful pincers which they use to catch small fish.

I would suggest that you immediately remove all the plants from the tank. Without plants for cover, the dragonfly nymphs can be easily seen. Search and destroy. Be careful when putting the plants back as there could be some hiding within them.

The dragonfly nymph always remind me of the monster in the "Alien" movies.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks KL. Gosh!!! All my healthy and big fry are gone.... I'd already took all plants out from the container.
    Sigh!!! So sad... suddenly so excited the fry are growing and now....
    Jennifer Ooi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, Jennifer, don't feel bad.

I know how heartbreaking it can be to lose all the fry as it has happened to me many times. But you still have your bag of peat and when you wet it again, chances are very good there will be more fry. Take heart. The road to success is often paved with failure but when you finally succeed in raising many killies, it will be all the more sweeter.

If you fail with your present bag of peat, let me know and I will send another one. When you are more experienced in raising them, I will send another species. That's the reason I didn't want to send more than one species to you when you asked me for them. Because I know that very often, something will happen and you may lose all your fry. If I had sent more than one species and you lose all the fry, your heart would have been broken into many pieces now

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    thank you KL...
    Jennifer Ooi