Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Is it reasonable to want to keep E. annulatus in a planted 12?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, you crazy person, stick to guppies or something if you want to breed.

0 0%
  • Sure, go ahead, they're nice fish.

1 50.00%
  • No idea, just replying 'cause I like polls.

1 50.00%

Thread: Epiplatys annulatus

Feedback Score

Epiplatys annulatus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've read a bunch of articles about keeping these guys in a heavily planted tank and that they'll then breed enough to keep the tank running indefinitely. The authors of the articles used 10 and 15 gallon tanks, and I'm getting (this is a "down the road" plan, early spring most likely) a 12 gallon cube-ish tank. Would this work? They're beautiful fish and I'd like to keep them (besides, good excuse to have grindal worms in the house again). Any advice? Warnings? Thanks!
    -Molly Leonard

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Epiplatys annulatus

Molly,

The fish is very rare over here and I don't know of anyone who is breeding them. But I would agree they are beautiful fish. Although I checked the 3rd choice in your poll, I do believe you will succeed in breeding lots of them if you keep them in a heavily planted them. Other than the annuals, almost all fish will multiply in numbers when kept in heavily planted tanks. Someone on KillieTalk Digest used to say, "You can't stop a healthy fish from breeding".

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    They're pretty rare over here, too, but they're available often enough on Aquabid. Thanks for the help.
    -Molly Leonard

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMousling
    They're pretty rare over here, too, but they're available often enough on Aquabid. Thanks for the help.
    Hi Molly,

Thought you might like to know that this pretty little fish has been reclassified to Pseudepiplatys annulatus and just as you've already found out, they do better in heavily planted tank and ideally with floaters as well.

These "clown killies" are skittish and good jumpers as well, so do remember to have a cover over their tank, when you manage to buy a few pairs.

I chanced upon ONE lonely clown this evening and placed an order for 20 more. Coming from a LFS, I won't expect a collection code but it beats not having any!

If you've managed to breed your White Cloud minnows, annulatus's frys are even tinier (so I read). Go ahead, try 'em out... they're really pretty!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Thanks, that's really helpful. Hmm, using the wrong genus, terrible faux pas. I have bred the White Clouds - hard not to! - but I also bred Bettas for several years, so I understand tiny fry. Thanks again.
    -Molly Leonard

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMousling
    Thanks, that's really helpful. Hmm, using the wrong genus, terrible faux pas.
    Hi Molly,

Perhaps I shouldn't be too quick about the genus correction... it's STILL known as "Epiplatys Annulatus" for those in the USA (see http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/mo.../msg00189.html)

It's bad enough for little fishes to have long latin names and darn confusing when camps do not agree (USA & Europe).

According to http://www.killi-data.org, as updated on Aug 23rd 2003, the "Valid Species/Current Genus" of our clown is "annulatus: Pseudepiplatys annulatus" ... covering populations from; Brama Town, Conakry, Fallaba, Fandié, Kasewe, Kinkon, Kobora, Maboshi, Maka, Monrovia, Njala, Petifu-Junction, Robertsport, Serabu, Sogiyah & Sowoja.

Have fun! :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee