Country
    Singapore

Paralysed australe

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Have not been 'talking' lately due to workload.. I have observed a few cases of female australe in the same tank(3F 1M) become shock-like, still breathing & occasionally twisting its body trying to swim. Of course, it died eventually. Initially I thought it's due to the shock of removing the mop too sudden. The 2nd & 3rd females follow after about a month later. Just saw them behaving that way, didn't remove mop or any disturbance. The male is still around & in great health. All the females had given me hundred over fry until they give up their last breath one by one, same style. They are hatched in March this year. Can anyone enlighten me on the cause? Food-tubifex, Temp-25(in office), Tank size- those 30cm plastic tank, 2 mops, sponge filter. Egg-binding? Over eating??

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Could be SARS

But seriously, it could be due to old age. Although australes are supposed to live several years, many things can affect life spans.

Annuals are supposed to have short lives but some hobbyists on KillieTalk have claimed that they can keep their Nothos alive for more than 2 years.

A fish's life span would, like a human's, depend on various factors. For instance, if you smoke, don't exercise, eat fatty foods all the time, chances are you will not live very long. (Hmm, sounds like I'm describing myself.)

A human male is supposed to have an average life span of 65 years or so but I'm sure you would know of someone who didn't get that number of years. Some people, on the other hand, live way above the average.

So I suppose it's the same for the fish. If you keep breeding them, feed them a lot and keep them in bare tanks, chances are their lives will become shorter. If, however, you don't breed them as often, feed them just enough to keep them alive and house them in planted tanks, I think they will live for many years.

Life in the fast lane will take its toll.

Loh K L