Country
    Singapore

Ap bitaeniatum Ijebu-Odé

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Anyone here maintaining or breeding Ap BIT Ijebu-Odé? Would love to tap on your experience. TIA.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Ap bitaeniatum Ijebu-Odé

Ronnie,

I have one female and 3 males of this fish. They are the second generation of fish which I got as eggs from Karl Walters of Canada.

Here's a pic of one of the males.

If you like, you can have the fish as I'm too busy these days to breed them. In my experience, they lay very little eggs and the eggs fungus easily. I gave some to Alex but the fish jumped out from his tanks before he could collect any eggs.

I think it's important to condition them on live food first before putting pairs together. I don't feed my fish with tubifex anymore so that could be the reason my fish are laying very little eggs these days.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    If you like, you can have the fish as I'm too busy these days to breed them. In my experience, they lay very little eggs and the eggs fungus easily. I gave some to Alex but the fish jumped out from his tanks before he could collect any eggs.
    Thanks Kwek Leong, I'd be delighted to take care of the BITs! Ever since my "Notho nightmare", I'm more a "Aphyosemion man".

Here's a trivia that never got posted on Killietalk....
    Ap bitaeniatum Ijebu-Odé
    Ap bitaeniatum Ojube-Ode
    Are they the same location?? Is the difference a language dialect issue? Anyone want to hazard a guess here?

As for the few & fungicised eggs, we might not be meeting the Ap's requirements cos it happens to my BIV Lagos as well (see... http://www.angelfire.com/retro/clock...BIV_Lagos.html )

I think it's important to condition them on live food first before putting pairs together. I don't feed my fish with tubifex anymore so that could be the reason my fish are laying very little eggs these days.
    It's still tubifex as staple for my killies (can't be too worried over everything!) and supplemented with bloodworms. They do get a treat of BBS if I spot tiny frys.

How do you setup the BIT's breeding tank and with what media?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    How do you setup the BIT's breeding tank and with what media?
    Standard method, Ronnie. A 10 litre bare tank with a spawning mop inside. I think they prefer sinking mops.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Ron,
    I have only seen the Ap bitaeniatum Ijebu-Odé,never heard of the other kind.
    Ap bitaeniatum Ijebu-Odé like the top mops most, a few eggs can be found in bottoms mops.They are also fond of floating plants.
    Deb