Images
    Country
    Singapore

microworms : anyone has them?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone still has a microworm culture going strong? i just had some pygmy cory fry hatching :wink: just got back from ICT so i'm still in a blur. anyway, thanks to Kwek Leong, i still have 2 cultures of the vinegar eels he gave me back then.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes cory king! I still have some(from Alex, Jupiter) which I never have the chance to use(or rather, don't know how ). Pygmy cory fry! They must be hell of small

Gan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: microworms : anyone has them?

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    i just had some pygmy cory fry hatching
    Storm, that's very interesting. Microworms should be about right for these tiny frys.

Did you set up the tank to breed them or was it Nature's course? How many pairs in the tank & how large are the adults? Are these Corydoras pygmaeus?

I now have 5 Corydoras pygmaeus in a low tank, together with young group of Ap australe chocolate and they coexist very well. Do keep us posted on your cory's progress. Personally, I think they make good companions to killies in small plastic tanks!

Meanwhile, I'm trying to revive a couple of grindal worm cultures that crashed from neglect... which can only mean it's time I find more hobbyist to spread the safety net.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: microworms : anyone has them?

thanks to Kwek Leong, i still have 2 cultures of the vinegar eels he gave me back then.
    Stormhawk,

The vinegar eel culture I had came from Ronnie so maybe you should thank him as well :wink:

By the way, I hope you will reveal your identity to the other forum users here. You've been to my house and I know your name but it wouldn't be right for me to address you by your real name unless you say it's okay.

If you have been following my posts on AQ, you would understand I have problems addressing people by their nicks. I like to see a culture where people use their real names when they post. Like I said on AQ, real people use real names.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah, in that case, thanks to Mr Ronnie too. well as an introduction, my name is Rashid. i have another name but its only used by my dad's side of the family. that's Jianyang. i'm fine with either name cos i'm part chinese part malay. :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm fine with either name cos i'm part chinese part malay. :wink:
    To be part Chinese, part Malay, I must say that's really cool, Jianyang. I think we better address you by your Chinese name as there's another Rashid in this forum.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hehehe another Rashid in the forum... me too named Rashid... nice meeting you Rashid...
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ah, in that case, thanks to Mr Ronnie too.
    Jianyang, I believe that most of the microworms being circulated today, originated from me when I passed starter cultures around to forumers in AquaticRealm and BettaHan list many moons ago.

When you share, everyone benefit, likewise for the vinegar eels. Credit should also go to those who put in the effort to maintain the cultures... so you don't have to thank me.

I'm a strong advocate for feeding live foods to our fishes. Having said that, I managed to revive a few crashed grindal worm cultures and would like to rope in like-minded hobbyists for a wider safety net. The culturing method for the grindals can be found here OR here.

I need more people help maintain grindals lest mine crash and never to be revived again. Thsi 4mm wormie is a wonderful food source for older frys and young adult killies... so please let me know who's keen.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, point taken. yeah its better to share. now i've got so many vinegar eels i don't know what to do with them. luckily my surviving baby pygmy cory loves to eat them. i hope he grows bigger by next week so i can start feeding him with bigger sized worms.

regarding the grindalworms, i don't mind trying out a culture. got this article i took from an old TFH issue which uses a spongebed as the home for the worms. maybe i'd try out that method. about transportation, do i need to keep in mind any factors? say temperature? cos i know some worms are sensitive to temperature changes and i don't want the worms to die on me while i'm on the MRT or the bus bringing them back home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    now i've got so many vinegar eels i don't know what to do with them. luckily my surviving baby pygmy cory loves to eat them. i hope he grows bigger by next week so i can start feeding him with bigger sized worms.
    Storm, I'm now dealing with newly hatched frys of Pseudomugil gertrudae and Badis badis burmanicus, which are terribly tiny and are too small to take BBS. Although I just got a vinegar eel culture (VEC) going, it's a tad too late and am relying on whatever infusoria that's in the old water.

If your pygmies have outgrown that food source, I sure could use a mature, ready to harvest VEC. Do let me know if I can borrow the culture for a week or so.

...regarding the grindalworms, i don't mind trying out a culture. got this article i took from an old TFH issue which uses a spongebed as the home for the worms. maybe i'd try out that method.
    Yes, the sponge-media method sounds like a nice project for you :wink: Let me pick out a nice culture for you!

about transportation, do i need to keep in mind any factors? say temperature? cos i know some worms are sensitive to temperature changes and i don't want the worms to die on me while i'm on the MRT or the bus bringing them back home.
    urm... my original stock came from Canada and I think it's alot colder there! Grindals are not as demanding as White Worms, which require cool temps to thrive... so cool that I think they'll be happier in your fridge but they won't survive the journey here.

Where's a good place for you to swap cultures?

Do I see a show of hands from those who want to culture grindal worms as well?

If our overseas friends here require one, don't be shy, just ask. I'm sure I can DIY a styrofoam insulated box/container to protect the cultures.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Do I see a show of hands from those who want to culture grindal worms as well?
    Yeah, me..me. I can go to your place to pick up the culture (just an excuse to see the "heaven" that you have created ).
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll been thinking... when my workload eases, let's just have a small gathering, sit around the corridor, have grindal sandwiches and microworms fondue .

Zul, not to worry, I've set aside cultures for those who've expressed interest.

Some may have missed the thread, so please refer HERE. Our killies need your support (and so do I!) to have a 'Live-Food Culture Network'.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Our killies need your support (and so do I!) to have a 'Live-Food Culture Network'.
    Ronnie, I think you should spread the word about your idea of a "Live-Food Culture Network" to other forums too. We may be an enthusiatic bunch but there's just too few of us here to make a good network. After all, it isn't only killifish keepers who would want live food for their fishes. I'm sure the Betta and Guppy guys are interested too.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

Me too want the culture.... me 1 me 2 me 3 me 4 .......
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I know all fishes love live-foods and besides this forum, I'll check in at AQ to see if the idea garner any support.

Personally, Kwek Leong, the Betta forum is a no-touch zone with all the flaring going on there... too much stress and flames for my liking. I know not how it is presently but it's of little relevance to me now.

AFAIK, it's definitely not nice at all to be snubbed in requesting for MW starters, when most of them don't realize that someone have to circulate it around in the first place. Nah... I think their betta frys do better on BBS anyway. I've left the betta scene behind and frankly, those folks at AQ seems, IMHO, alot saner.

Rather than going for quantity, I'd prefer 'quality'... as in "a few good men" (and women too!). No point having many starting off cultures in full steam but not committed to sustaining one over a longer term. A chain is as strong as it's weakest link.
    Ronnie Lee