Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: N'sukka and Australe Gold

Feedback Score

N'sukka and Australe Gold

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    2 weeks ago, I received my F. Gardneri N'sukka and A. Australe Gold eggs. Until todate I didn't see any fry emerging. Any idea what's wrong with the eggs?
    Jennifer Ooi
    Living in Pearl of Orient

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi jennifer,

how are you incubating the eggs?

If not mistaken you would have received the eggs in peat right? Did you put them in water for them to hatch?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    When you receive the eggs, you must wet them immediately as there 2 fish are non-annuals with only 9 to 14 days incubation period. After 2 week if there is no hatch, chances is they did not survive the journey....
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: N'sukka and Australe Gold

Where did you get the eggs from, Jennifer? As the others have said, I think your eggs are no longer viable. But don't give up hope yet, there's still a chance there will be fry.

It's much more difficult for eggs of the non-annuals to survive long journeys as their incubation periods are much shorter. The eggs also fungus easily but sometimes when everything clicks, the eggs will hatch into fry. I've experienced receiving a bag of peat from someone in Brazil and upon wetting it as soon as it arrived, fry appeared within half an hour.

Don't be discouraged if no fry appear. When I hatch my first bag of australe fry, it was the 7th time I've received the eggs from hobbyists living in different countries. On the first 6 occasions, nothing appeared.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I received the eggs from US. I did directly wet the peat. I didn't see any fry at all. Sigh!!!
    Jennifer Ooi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jennifer,

how long was the postal period? There could be some hope as eggs incubated in peat can take up to two times the normal incubation period for eggs incubated in water alone.

Perhaps what you could do is to take an egg and to check whether is there any development of the eye of the embryo.
    Fungus eggs will be white.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    Fungus eggs will be white.
    After 3 days, thers fungus will dissapear from the peat!
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    The postal period about a week or so only. I will try to dig out the eggs to have a good look. Thanks.
    Jennifer Ooi

Feedback Score
    I went through the australe peat. I can't find any eggs or infected eggs in the peat. What is wrong with it?
    Jennifer Ooi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkillis
    I went through the australe peat. I can't find any eggs or infected eggs in the peat. What is wrong with it?
    I receive F. Gardneri P82 and A. Australe Cho. from Killifishdavid (I live in Hong Kong), Most of the F. Gardneri P82 are able to hatched. and half of the A. Australe Cho. too. parcel from US to Hong Kong need 7 days only,
    I got my first P82 at 18-9-03, and I can even get new fly today.
    So I recommend you to wait until they all turned white.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you have already wet them for more than 2 weeks, chances are the eggs already dead and degraded over time. I sometimes incubate my australe eggs in peat and I'll wet them after 1 week. Let it in the water for 2 weeks and then after that I throw away peat as most of the time I could not find any good eggs in it.
    Au SL