Thread: Handicapped Fishes

Feedback Score

Handicapped Fishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

I found out recently that some of my fishes are handicapped. I have 3 rachoviii that swim differently. One swims continuously in a circle (just like a cat trying to scratch its tail) and the other two swim straight and flipping all the time. These 3 can never swim properly from what I observed. Thinking that they won’t survive in such condition, I removed them from the others and place them in a bottle with lots of mosses and surprisingly, they grow.

You guys ever come across such situation and anyone know why are they like that?
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Handicapped Fishes

Quote Originally Posted by lily
    You guys ever come across such situation and anyone know why are they like that?
    It could be due to "in-breeding", Lily. Most of the rachovii you all have came from my tanks and I think the gene pool may be too small. "In-breeding" wouldn't be a problem if we are very selective when we choose which fish to breed but quite often, we pick the "weaker" fish and their weak genes get passed down.

I suspect your rachovii that is swimming in circles could be blind in one eye. As for the other 2 that do flips, it could be some problems with their fins.

I don't know if it's a good idea for one of us to bring in some new rachovii to breed with the ones we have so that "fresh" genes can be introduced into the gene pool. This may cause the fish to be classified as "aquarium strain" rachovii. It may not be a bad thing to hobbyists who are not fussy about collection codes as they are concerned only about the beauty and health of the fish but to serious hobbyists, "aquarium strain" killies have less value.

Loh K L

Feedback Score

Re: Handicapped Fishes

These 3 can never swim properly from what I observed.
    I was wrong when I made that statment, the conditions of these fishes improve alot and I am glad I didn't throw them away when I found out their problem. I think the mosses help out alot in rectifying their swimming habits. I am so proud of myself!!
    Lily Choo