Country
    Singapore

A milestone of sorts

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

We reached a milestone of sorts today. There are 100 members in this forum now. I remember saying some time back that when the membership hits 100, I will invite killifish hobbyists from all over the world to sign up here. But I'm in 2 minds now. I don't know if I should publicise this forum on the internet and run the risk of being swamped by hobbyists from other countries or leave things as they are, where hobbyists trickle in and sign up as members through word of mouth.

It is my dream that this forum has an international set of members, where hobbyists living all over the world can come and share a common interest. But I feel sometimes that I may be biting off more than I can chew. It's great to have people from foreign lands and their input is invaluable but this forum, being strictly non-commercial, can only do so much.

Money is a factor but time is even more so. Being the site-owner, I feel I have to be here constantly, monitoring every post. Ronnie, Freddy and Mac_user have been great and their help as moderators is something I appreciate a lot and cannot do without. But as the forum grows, we would need more help. I don't think it's a good idea to have a sudden surge in membership as the moderators and I may find it hard to cope with an avalanche of posts.

So for the time being, I will probably let things be. But let me know if you have any good suggestions. However, if you are thinking of volunteering, I have to let you know that I can't accept people as moderators unless I know them personally. Moderators, besides being knowledgeable about the hobby, have to be people of good character. It's difficult for me to tell who's good or bad unless I know them well so I hope you understand why I cannot accept volunteers without putting them through some sort of screening.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Congratulation! I have been waiting for this day! I have been monitoring on the number of members and the number of post. That is why I was very puzzled when the number of post kept reducing.

It is my dream that this forum has an international set of members, where hobbyists living all over the world can come and share a common interest.
    I don't think it's a good idea to have a sudden surge in membership as the moderators and I may find it hard to cope with an avalanche of posts.
    I am hoping to see more foreign members as well. As this hobby is very new in Singapore, I feel that their inputs will be of value to us. However the AKA member or non members are very loyal to killietalk, even though the AKA has setup a forum, the number of post in the forum is pathetic.

I feel that even if we invite them over to our forum, I doubt there will be a sudden surge in post. I still think that the “old timers” are unwilling to leave the killietalk mailing list. However I hope that they will be invited here as “advisor” rather than a regular members.

Just my thoughts..

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    "It is my dream that this forum has an international set of members, where hobbyists living all over the world can come and share a common interest. But I feel sometimes that I may be biting off more than I can chew. It's great to have people from foreign lands and their input is invaluable but this forum, being strictly non-commercial, can only do so much."

It's every forum dream to be internationally participated, I think. So, it is really up to you to direct. As for expertise, it is hard to plan for, you may have to look around more. For example, inviting fish food manufacturers, aquarium equipment and cosumeables makers to participate in the forum. I mean get their reasearchers in, never the sales guys. I had invited Tom Barr for the planted tank forum, he is happy to advise when required.

I like the non-commercial policy here and hope it would stay as long as you can sponsor . This is important image building for the site as a neutral and sincere forum for hobbyist to enjoy, your stern principle. Having said that, I do not see that any commercial sponsorship would change the way you wish to run the forum or its' image. As long as direction of purely to benifits the hobbyist stay, killies.com would always stand tall. Let the advertisement banners fly there and do not hide, like some forums practice.

Nevertheless, should you need help to fund the site, I'll gladly help to chip in, like Sia Meng.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Nevertheless, should you need help to fund the site, I'll gladly help to chip in, like Sia Meng.
    Thanks for the offer, Freddy. But money isn't the main problem. Time is.

It's kind of funny but when I declined Sia Meng's offer to help with the web hosting costs about a month ago, I got a message from the server the very next day stating that I have used up more than 80% of my alloted space. I didn't have a choice but to increase the web space by another 20 MB.

Fortunately for me, the guy running the server was very kind and charged the same amount although I doubled my space. I hope he would be just as kind next year when it's time to renew my account with him.

I'm hopeless with things like MB and KB and all that but Mac_user said that if large pictures are posted on the forum, they would use up a lot of space. I'm wondering if I should put a cap on the size of pictures posted.

Quote Originally Posted by gweesm1
    I feel that even if we invite them over to our forum, I doubt there will be a sudden surge in post. I still think that the “old timers” are unwilling to leave the killietalk mailing list. However I hope that they will be invited here as “advisor” rather than a regular members.
    ]

You are probably right, Sia Meng. The old-timers in KillieTalk would probably not subscribe to this forum even if I plead with them. I know it's human nature to stick with your own crowd so they will probably feel a bit lost here. I have tried inviting a few experts to join this forum but so far, I haven't been very successful. I guess they don't want to come here because they are busy people.

For the time being, I'm just inviting some of my buddies to join. Daphne and Dave, 2 persons who are very much into planted tanks joined this forum just a while ago on my invitation. I'm quite sure they will help to liven up the "Planted Tanks" sub-forum.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I'm hopeless with things like MB and KB and all that but Mac_user said that if large pictures are posted on the forum, they would use up a lot of space. I'm wondering if I should put a cap on the size of pictures posted.
    I doubt very much picture posted take up much spaces. I am not really good in it but I think the picture pop-up through links, the pictures were never stored in the server. I mean when user place a picture, it was presented as a web page (within the thread page). Anyone can acertain this?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Freddy is right.

Those picture posted here in the forum is just a link and it'll not take up much space.

I think the space constrain should come from the pictures store by Kwek Leong on his own webpage.
    Au SL