Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Should we have a chit-chat sub-forum?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because I want to talk about other things besides killifish

4 50.00%
  • No, because this forum is meant for killifish and related topics only

1 12.50%
  • Maybe, it's too early to have such a sub-forum, maybe later

3 37.50%

Thread: Chit Chat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chit Chat

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Freddy Chng who visited me yesterday sent me this private message:

Hi Kwek Leong,

I find the evolution of living things on earth very interesting. Should we have a Science Chats forum to talk anything science? After all, we can also use it as a small chat venue which the forum lack.

In all other forums based in Singapore, there's always a chit-chat forum. But none exists here. This is the second time I got a request from a member asking that we create one. I don't know if it's a good idea as from what I have observed, chit-chat sub-forums tend to have a lot of rubbish posts. But I can understand that as we become more familiar with each other and feel more like friends than just anonymous users of the same forum, we can't just talk about killies or aquatic plants all the time. I love to chit-chat too but I have reservations doing so on the net.

I'm open to suggestions. Let's have a vote and if many wants to have a chit-chat forum, I will create one. I haven't decide who should moderate though. It will be a tough job as most forum users in Singapore treat a chit-chat forum as a place for talking about anything under the sun.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    By the way, if a chit-chat sub-forum is created here, it would mean a new set of rules just for this sub-forum. So if you vote "yes", please let me know what sort of special rules we should have.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried to click on the voting column but it is not working.
    Anyway, I don't think that a chit chat forum is necessary. I been seeing rubbish posted onto the chit chit by other forum. Moreover, most of the chit chat post discussed thing that happened in Singapore which I think friends from other country is not familiar with.

However, I will welcome a discussion forum on which moderator put up a topic and we discussed on it.

Feedback Score
    Loh K L,
    I wouldn't mind a chit-chat if it is kept clean of foul speech, without rubbish.
    It would be interesting to know you folks here on the forum, better.
    My $.02.
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I suggested Science Chat for I wish that we can talk about science here. I learnt from Kwek Leong about evolution of living things and it is very interesting. Did you ever ask:
    -How are human compared to the rest of living things around us?
    -Are we the ultimum in lifes around us?
    -Do you know what is you role here?
    -Do you know what happen after death?
    -Do you have to be afraid of death?
    Sounds like religious questions but I realised that they can be explained and facts are all around us.

We could double up the forum as general chat forum to bridge the gap between forumers. We cannot talk about fishes and plants all day long, we need to chat a bit to build up friendship to further enhance the joy to visit here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I like the idea of Chat forum for discussion on more serious topic regarding news that effect our daily life.While we may be happy or unhappy on certain ruling/news, it will be good to know from our oversea friend for their opinion.

Eric Ng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is there something wrong with my poll? I don't see a single vote on any of the poll options.

Anyway, judging from the response, I have to say it doesn't look good. Although Debra, Freddy and Eric wrote in favour of a chit-chat sub-forum, 3 in a forum of about a hundred members is too little.

If I don't see more than 20 members writing in favour of a chit-chat sub-forum, I won't create one. Not much point cluttering the forum with another sub-forum when so few want to use one.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, I think your poll is not working. Don't response when i click on it.

Feedback Score
    It still won't let me vote either. I would be in favor, particularly to get to know members better.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay, guys and gals,

Here are the results of the poll. Including Scott, 9 people voted. 5 were for the creation of a chit-chat sub-forum, 1 was against and 3 voted "maybe".

Going by the results of the poll, I'm afraid I won't be creating a forum for people to chit-chat after all. Sorry about this, Freddy but there's just too little interest to justify having one. As for Debra and Scott who wrote that they would like to know the members better through a chit-chat sub-forum, let's just say I think you 2 know us pretty well already. Both of you are among the few foreigners who are regulars here and we appreciate your input very much. As for Eric who wrote that he likes to hear the opinions of foreigners on major issues affecting Singapore, I'm afraid you will have to look elsewhere for such opinions. Such opinions would be close to political discussions and I really wouldn't want that to start here.

I'm downgrading this topic from a "sticky" to a "normal".

Loh K L